Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
I get what you are saying. But I can't admit it out loud because that means I am getting to be one of those old people who insist it was considerably better in the old days. My 17 year old niece likes watching people put bathbombs into water. She bought a bathbomb and said she was going to film it so she can show me next time I saw her. Unbelievable.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
That is true, but not indicative of a desire to watch. The neighborhood is dead. Kids have a LOT of planned activities. As my kids are teens now, I see them moving and shaking a lot more than when they were dependant on parents (or really their friends were) to NOT plan for them.

It’s definitely a thing. Ask kids about what they watch on YouTube. Parents and people may not notice what they do on the computer. Plus there are tons of articles on it.

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/blog/what-kids-are-really-watching-on-youtube

https://tocaboca.com/magazine/lets-play-videos-kids/

And here is the YouTube channel that my godson watches...
And if you notice there are 1M subscribers.

·
Banned
6,888 Posts
Agree but don’t feel it’s just the younger generation. It’s all of us on some level. It’s the problem that we are more connected than we have ever been and yet we are less connected than we have ever been. Vulnerability creates connectivity and as long as we are watching and not participating we don’t have to be vulnerable. I struggle with vulnerability in my personal life but here it seems easier. People here seem way more accepting of each other’s humanness where in our real lives people are judgmental and hold you to a standard they don’t hold themselves too. So we hide. We are voyeurs because to participate is to risk.
You just said a very true mouthful!

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
it's intuitive to me that the 1st world war generation had it the hardest.
the ww2 generation had it pretty hard too, but not quite as hard.
my generation (vietnam war) were a bunch of spoiled brats compared to the previous two generations.
next generation had it easier than us for sure.
next one had it easier than that.
next generation are a bunch of snowflakes.

you get what i mean.

if there is any truth to this, then logic tells me that subsequent generations should be more spoiled, less tough, more maladjusted, less willing to bust ass, more entitled, et.

maybe they are. of course i'm not pulling this out of a vacuum. this is popular discourse.

the problem is, when i look around me, and/or meet younger people face to face, or hear about this young guy, or that young gal, this bubble bursts, or at least i call it into question.

i know and meet too many young kids that turn out to be really great people, that i question the whole paradigm.

to quote lou reed: "i guess that i just don't know".

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
I think there is always a tendency for older folks to complain about the failings of modern youth - probably because they don't have a clear memory of their own youth. I'm cursed with remembering mine - and there is a lot of stuff that doesn't look so great form my current perspective. I read somewhere a letter complaining about the terrible decline in education these days.... written i ancient Rome.

I think the problems change, but there are always problems, but somehow most kids end up having reasonable lives.

·
Registered
10,796 Posts
They grew up on social media where everyone shares their lives, so it makes sense that they like watching it as well.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.