Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll try and keep this short and simple. Last week my husband got a phone call from his Dad telling him that as their Christmas present to us, they decided they were going to buy us new family room furniture. He told him the budget and then said "Get shopping". Jon was a little puzzled and said in essence we haven't asked for new furniture, didn't consider it, don't need it but there are plenty of other things around our house that needs some updating (carpet, kitchen flooring). His Dad's response is: "Your Mother and I don't like your furniture and would like to have something nice to sit on when we are out there for Thanksgiving".
Okay. Well we DO have nice places to sit, you just pick the one room that is for comfort with a large sectional that is used purely for t.v. watching. Jon thanked him and hung up.
Anyways, we told the boys and they both are mad. They love the huge comfy sectional, the dinged up coffee table from years of use and the fact that in that room, we can all just chill. They don't want new furniture at all and neither do I. Not sure what to do or if this is futile. Jon will more than likely cave.
It's pretty trivial in the grand scheme of things but I thought I would put this out there for advice. So far, my friends said tell them no thanks but they don't have to see them/deal with them/be a part of their family. They are nice people but controlling at times. I think they mean well but it came across as pretty insulting.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
in a word....yes
they can always bring their own beanbags
Great response Dolly. I'm not sure how to handle it though. Truth be told, that room could use some updating but I never thought of it because we like the comfort part of it. I just can't imagine telling someone you hate their furniture and are buying them new pieces. That sounds so rude. I'm not sure what is going on but maybe they thought we would love new furniture. I really don't know.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Thanks for offer but there are more important things we could use
with their help.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
It's beyond rude, it's downright insulting to be honest. I don't know them so really don't know how you should handle it - if it were my family I'd just say 'I'm happy with my furniture thanks' and that would be the end of it

maybe if they'd approached it with a bit more sensitivity it wouldn't be so bad but now they've put your back up

·
Registered
61 Posts
Definitely rude. Are they always like this? You could always find furniture as close as possible to what you already have. lol

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Definitely rude. Are they always like this? You could always find furniture as close as possible to what you already have. lol
Yes and no. They have always been there for us through thick and thin and deeply love their son and grandsons but they also are pushy. I too thought about buying the exact same sofa in a different tone. Ha, ha.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
Tell them you would rather they used the money to update THEIR furniture, since you guys don't like it.

What nerve!! If my inlaws did that and my husband was actually thinking of going along with it, my husband and the new furniture would be moving home to mommy and daddy's house.

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
What's to say they aren't going to just complain about whatever you get anyway?! Good grief. This is actually making me mad. :mad:

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What's to say they aren't going to just complain about whatever you get anyway?! Good grief. This is actually making me mad. :mad:
Me too. I went out looking this weekend and couldn't find anything I liked. I think I will call them and just say thank you but we are happy with what we have but if the budget still stands, some new carpet in the living room and new kitchen flooring would be much appreciated. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
226 Posts
Eh... Who cares? Might as well give the room a little makeover. Its free. You may even be able to sell the old stuff and make a little somethin.

Dont let it stress you out. Might as well accept
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
My first thought was "What's the next thing in your house/life they're going to want to fix because they don't like it?"

It seems incredibly rude and insulting to me. IF you wanted to spruce things up anyway (in other words, you'd have thought of this before their offer), fine, but just to do it because they told you to, um, no.

This is totally wrong, but I'd be tempted to go to a place that has all kinds of things - flooring, furniture, etc. - order furniture, let them pay, then cancel delivery and use the store credit to get the flooring.

And maybe a slipcover for the sofa. :p

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My first thought was "What's the next thing in your house/life they're going to want to fix because they don't like it?"

It seems incredibly rude and insulting to me. IF you wanted to spruce things up anyway (in other words, you'd have thought of this before their offer), fine, but just to do it because they told you to, um, no.

This is totally wrong, but I'd be tempted to go to a place that has all kinds of things - flooring, furniture, etc. - order furniture, let them pay, then cancel delivery and use the store credit to get the flooring.

And maybe a slipcover for the sofa. :p
That's the thing. We have never hinted that we wanted the room changed. It is just so weird. They are getting older and maybe less tactful. They have always been very generous and perhaps his wording came out wrong. Perhaps I am reading too much in to it but even when asked about new flooring the answer was no, new furniture. So bizarre. As I said, not a huge deal given all that I have gone through but it just rubbed me the wrong way.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How long have you had the current living room suit?
12 years and yes it is trashy looking but we like it. Also, it is in the family room where really only us hang out. Our living room has gorgeous furniture in it and never gets used. It looks like a magazine in there.
Anyways, not a huge deal but it did rub me the wrong way. I think the way you say things makes a difference. Had they said "Hey, we want to give you x number of dollars to buy something special for your house", I would have been thrilled. Instead it came across very different.
Thank you all for your advice. I think I will just redo the room. It does need a little help and maybe after they get out here, they will notice how it flows in to the kitchen and suddenly the floors don't look so great. Plotting and scheming. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.