Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it bother you if your spouse forgot your birthday? My birthday is not until August. My birthday causes great anxiety for me because of being forgotten. My last birthday my husband totally forgot about it. Now, let me clarify, it is talked about a lot. 2 of my kids birthdays are in August as well, mine is the last one. Its always a big joke about whose birthday is next.
On the day of my birthday my husband is at work as normal. I was awake watching the news when he was getting ready for work..He didnt say anything. Ok fine, "Probably just forgot"...a few hrs later he calls so I am thinking "Ok, now he remembers"...he called to remind me to tell my daughter something, no mention of his birthday. He gets home around 6pm...doesnt say one word. He asks what we are having for dinner, I tell him I dont know, he should just go get the gets some Mcdonalds as they are hungry. He goes and comes back, I could not eat.. I run to the store to get dog food. He comes out to great me and says "Why didnt you tell me it was your birthday?"...HUH?????:scratchhead:.. we have been married for 14 yrs, and have 2 kids with birthdays the same month and I must tell you. He works on a computer all day, has a big old wall calender on his wall at work. His excuse was that he knows the date of my birthday, just didnt know it was that particular day. I didnt expect diamonds and jewels and roses on my birthday. But... I would of expected a "Happy birthday".. I mean you would at least say that to a co-worker right?

2 yrs ago we were on a cruise, my sister in law and brother in law were there too. My birthday was when we were on the cruise. How exciting right, celebrating your birthday on a cruise..Well at least I thought it would be..Ok, get up, get dressed head to breakfast, not one Happy birthday..So I whispered to my daughter I have a secret and tell her its my birthday, and she says "Happy birthday mommy", then my husband reluctantly said "Oh yea happy birthday"...
That was it, nothing else..Again, didnt expect anything fancy.
We ate dinnerthat night on the cruise, and apparently it was 2 other peoples birthdays and they were sung to by the wait staff..So I patiently waited...I figured somebody at my table had to tell the wait staff it was my birthday NOPE....I wanted to cry..I dont ask for much, just to be acknowledged..

Again this birthday in Aug we are going on another cruise, and the anxiety is creeping up on me this early. I make big deals out of my kids birthdays and makethem feel special. I remember when we were first married and having kids and stuff. I told him that Iw old always make a big deal of my kids birthdays.

Would your spouse forgetting your birthdaybig a big deal to you?

I told him that it was all about priorities. In otherposts I posted that his main prioritys are his cars/trucks fixing and repairs and all that jazz. I told him that when he has a car club meeting, he knows the exact days and hours until the meeting..yet, when its a birthday it goes right out the window..

I dont expect big things, just to be acknowledge..

·
Premium Member
6,621 Posts
Bluebird

Yes that would bother me tremendously. If he is truly that forgetful sit down with him at the computer and set up all the important dates in Outlook with reminders a few days in advance. Birthdays for you and the kids, anniversary…. However, from the sounds of it he doesn’t really seem to care about it. Might be a good chance to let him know this hurts you and you’d like him to remember this year. Let him know you don’t expect anything big. Sound like just a card, acknowledgement and a hug would go a long way for you. He is not filling a very simple need for you and that is wrong. Let him know. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,707 Posts
My wife often forgets mine, no biggie what she has started to do is sign up for e-cards they send notice a week prior and she can set up e-cards way in advance. To me it is just another day in my life. But since my wife is doing special little things for me all the time it isn't a big deal if my b-day is forgotten after all my parents normally remember 3 weeks later.

draconis

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.