Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have Netflix avoid this movie:

Leaving

Horrible, horrible pro-adultery movie that depicts a wife who leaves her husband for a handyman, then kills her husband because he had the audacity to kick her out and make them pay for their affair.

Watch Leaving Online | Netflix

:mad:

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
If you have Netflix avoid this movie:

Leaving

Horrible, horrible pro-adultery movie that depicts a wife who leaves her husband for a handyman, then kills her husband because he had the audacity to kick her out and make them pay for their affair.

Watch Leaving Online | Netflix

:mad:
Kristin Scott Thomas is ALWAYS cast as an adultress. Can't stand watching her.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heh, I cant think of any movies!!

BUT OMG!!! Stupid song "Lips of an Angel" is the worst song about cheating..... I ****ING Hate it!!!!!!!!!!

I hate it, hate it, hate it!!!!!!!!!!!
Well this movie is a doozy. If you do watch it, do not eat before hand or you will vomit. I guarantee.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are indeed many good French films.

Netflix is a good site and I think you will enjoy it, but some of the movies are treacherous. Be careful and read the user reviews before watching.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Leaving looks at first blush like a transgressive film that explores the darker side of marriage, and how money plays a role on how we treat our spouses, but in the end it becomes typical: the husband is demonized as a shyte, so everything the cheating wife does she has a legitimate reason for, including murdering him.

It's the darker side of self-legitimation that none of these films even touches on.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Almost every film about female adultery casts the husband as a tyrant or a feckless boor. It is the only way the writers and directors can legitemize their skewed message.

Hmm....much like the way real waywards justify their affairs by rewriting the marital history to hide their guilt.

·
Premium Member
10,656 Posts
Almost every film about female adultery casts the husband as a tyrant or a feckless boor. It is the only way the writers and directors can legitemize their skewed message.

Hmm....much like the way real waywards justify their affairs by rewriing the marital history to hide their guilt.
Hollyweird is good for that.:iagree:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Saw Take This Waltz this summer. Its not Zack Efron but a Canadian Actor, Luke Perry (I think). He is now in a variety of American TV shows (he dated Lucy Lu on Elementary).
As to the movie, it is neither proPos or particularly bad, in fact it is quite good. It is, however, painful to watch and a collection of trigger moments. The lead Michelle Williams plays a woman who thinks there is something missing in her life and Seth Rogen is her loving husband who has become inattentive but basically a good man. She finds what she thinks she is missing in Perry (mostly sex)and after a struggle to resist him she leaves her husband to pursue him.
Both have boundary issues etc. When her former best friend, married to Rogens brother and a recovering alcoholic it draws her back to the home she shared with her husband.
She finds the niece she loved now feels nothing for her, the family that adored her hates her and the sister in law (Silverstein), now a relapsed alcoholic, tells her that the thing she is looking for she will never find and that she has effed up her life. Her husband is now a recognized author of a best selling cook book and contracts to write more, her boyfriend pulls a rickshaw. It hits her, the pain she has caused, the love she lost and the family she gave up. When she asks to come back her husband tells her that some choices stick and can't be undone. He still loves her, but he doesn't want or need her. It is clear he has moved on in ways she never expected, I guess she thought he'd be waiting for her.
In the movie (last 10 or 15 minutes) we watch her relationship with the boyfriend fall apart. He doesn't share her humour or way of expressing love (she tells him "I wuv you" an he replies "I love you" carefully annunciated and gives her a look like she's crazy. Its clear there is less and less in their relationship.
A symbol for her need for fantasy is presented in a ride at Toronto's Center Island and the song is "Video killed the Radio Star". The first time she rides it she's with her boyfriend, but as the movie ends she is on the ride alone. The meaning of course is that in the end she is the one who is left behind.
Sounds a lot like something you read here on TAM.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thank you for straightening me out on the lead actor's name ThinkItThrough.

In the movie (last 10 or 15 minutes) we watch her relationship with the boyfriend fall apart. He doesn't share her humour or way of expressing love (she tells him "I wuv you" an he replies "I love you" carefully annunciated and gives her a look like she's crazy. Its clear there is less and less in their relationship.
A symbol for her need for fantasy is presented in a ride at Toronto's Center Island and the song is "Video killed the Radio Star". The first time she rides it she's with her boyfriend, but as the movie ends she is on the ride alone. The meaning of course is that in the end she is the one who is left behind.
Sounds a lot like something you read here on TAM.
That part of the movie was a good example of how some cheaters want to cheat for sexual excitement and adventure, but then later miss their BSs for the real, deep love and emotional bonds that they shared with them.

I'm glad that her jilted husband was allowed some dignity at the end. Still, I think his character was painted with broad strokes as a sort of boring dufus.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually thinking back, the movie Unfaithful painted the betrayed husband (Richard Gere) in a fairly sympathetic light. In that movie you saw a good man who basically did nothing to earn his wife's bad treatment. That was another trigger movie for me, but it did clearly show how some waywards cheat for no particular reason other than because they have the opportunity to and because they can.

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
That's neither Zac Effron nor Luke Perry in Take this waltz. It's Luke Kirby. I liked the end in that he told her no thanks. But I thought the movie was poorly acted.

Unfaithful was a hard watch.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's neither Zac Effron nor Luke Perry in Take this waltz. It's Luke Kirby. I liked the end in that he told her no thanks. But I thought the movie was poorly acted.

Unfaithful was a hard watch.
It is sad that male American actors have become so non-descript that no one can tell them apart or remember their names. I think that is because Hollywood has castrated American actors to a great degree, casting them as metrosexuals, cuckolds or wimps. Only British, Aussie and Scottish actors seem to get the macho roles anymore. Thank God for Vin Diesel.

1 - 20 of 194 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.