Talk About Marriage banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have always wanted a big family. I guess 3 kids would be nice. My husband and I have been married for nearly two years now. We have not started trying yet and maybe we will this spring as we still have some goals we need to achieve. We both work full-time and getting pregnant especially for me is challenging. But I have this nagging anxiety that what if it’s kinda late. Should we have started trying right away? I’m 31. Just want to know if there are couples out there who want to wait a while before having kids but still anxious whether getting pregnant would be easy or not.

· Premium Member
5,291 Posts
Hello,
I have always wanted a big family. I guess 3 kids would be nice. My husband and I have been married for nearly two years now. We have not started trying yet and maybe we will this spring as we still have some goals we need to achieve. We both work full-time and getting pregnant especially for me is challenging. But I have this nagging anxiety that what if it’s kinda late. Should we have started trying right away? I’m 31. Just want to know if there are couples out there who want to wait a while before having kids but still anxious whether getting pregnant would be easy or not.
It is far from too late. My wife was 30 when we had our first. We have two kids. We were married 8 years before we decided to have kids. Our son is currently in Grad school and our daughter is an electrical engineer.

· Registered
242 Posts
Hello,
I got pregnant at 32. It took about 4 months. I was a little worried also. I think when a woman is younger, they might get pregnant first month trying. Later, maybr takes 4-6 months.
please post back with your good news ;)

· Premium Member
12,644 Posts
I was in my early 20’s and it took months of temperature-taking before I got pregnant (so even with youth on my side it was still a process). The second time, a couple of years later, I unexpectedly got pregnant using birth control. You just never know. I wish you the best.

· Registered
496 Posts
Hello,
If you want children and you are 31 be careful. If you look at the statistics woman's fertility drops drastically after 25. Yes, a lot of women will write here that they got easily pregnant at 35 or even after 40. But you are not them and there is no guarantee that you will be as lucky. Specifically if you or your husband have some underlying fertility issue that you may even not know until you start trying. If you want to achieve all your goals before having children you may very well run out of time. Also, it is much harder to be older parents than younger ones.

· Registered
533 Posts
Hello,
You should.
You might be 32 when you give birth to your first child. Your life will change and you will need some time to adjust to your new reality with a baby involved. A baby needs much attention and care to grow healthy. You might want to wait for like 2 years to try for another baby due to pressure of child-rearing and for health-related reasons.

Think about what will be your age by the time you try for your 3rd. For perspective:

32 = 1
34 = 2
36 = 3

Having multiple pregnancy is a possibility as well but "uncommon."

Best wishes.

· Premium Member
5,291 Posts
I got pregnant at 32. It took about 4 months. I was a little worried also. I think when a woman is younger, they might get pregnant first month trying. Later, maybr takes 4-6 months.
please post back with your good news ;)
We had our kids when my wife was 30 and 32. Both times, first try after coming off BC she was pregnant. But that isn't how it ends up working for everyone.

· Registered
1,985 Posts
What do you mean getting pregnant for you is challanging? If you already know there will be difficulties you best get started if you want 3 kids. You have been married for 2 years. You have already waited. What are you continuing to wait for?

· Registered
1,127 Posts
When we married at age 30 and 32 we had trouble getting pregnant. I think it was because I had low sperm count from too much sex. We had to focus on my health. We took a week off having sex and she became pregnant right off.

· Registered
403 Posts
Hello,
Fertility drops off faster than a lot of people realize and the earlier you start, the easier it can be to deal with underlying fertility issues. You may need help to get pregnant and that can take some time. The longer you wait, the higher the risk that you won't be able to have children and, as you approach 40, the risk of genetic disorders increases substantially.

According to this page, the Pregnancy Loss Rate is 8% under 30, 12% between 30 and 34. 16% between 35 and 37, 22% between 38 and 39, and 33% between 40 and 41.

According to this page, your Risk of Any Chromosomal Abnormality is 1 in 384 at 31. It was 1 in 526 when you were 21. When you are 35, it will be 1 in 192. At 39, it will be 1 in 83. Assume you'll want 2 years between children so work the math backward.

The bottom line is that the older you are, the more likely it is that something will go wrong. But it's not too late unless you have fertility problems that will prevent a pregnancy or make it impossible for you to carry one to term.

I'll tell you what a co-worker/friend who had children before I did told me -- "There is never a good time to have children." If you keep waiting for things to be right or perfect, it's not going to happen.

In many ways, my wife and I were lucky. We were not trying to avoid having children for most of our marriage (no birth control except as treatment for my wife's PCOS at one point) but my wife had fertility issues (also the PCOS). When we started approaching 40, we realized it was now or never so we went to a fertility clinic and my wife got pregnant with our first child when my wife was 37 (born when she was 38 and after we'd been married 15 years) and our second child when my wife was 39 (born when she was 40) but, really, that was too late and was very risky. We should have started fertility treatments earlier. We might have been able to have a third child if we did. We got lucky and had no miscarriages or genetic defects. My wife got pregnant the second time before she's started the fertility drugs, so we got lucky with that, too. I have friends that it didn't work out for and don't have biological children. I wouldn't count on doing what my wife and I did because there are a lot of people it doesn't end as well for.

If you are having actual trouble getting pregnant while not on birth control, talk to a fertility clinic. They'll be able to explain a lot to you and help diagnose you if you are having real problems.

· Premium Member
956 Posts
My wife and I were married for over 16 years before we had our child. She turned 39 and gave birth the next day, I turned 42 later in the year. People thought we were out of our minds! We had our reasons and reget nothing. No genetic issues. But do to our age and how difficult the pregnancy was for my wife, we did not have another child.

· Registered
2,424 Posts
Hello,
I want to say something here as someone that was in a similar situation.

my exwife and I were 32 and 33 when we had our twins. We started trying at 31. We ended up needing IVF to have our children. I thank God on a daily basis that I have my children in my life.

I’m not telling you this to make you panic. I just think you need to think about these things because one day it will be too late. My ex put off having kids because of a multitude of different reasons (career, etc) and it almost bit us in the ass.

my suggestion is to start now. If kids are important to you, make it the top priority - because eventually it won’t be a possibility.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts