Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Felt kinda proud of one accomplishment at work, and felt like sharing, realized there aren't really any threads here about work life...

anyways, a while ago during the course of my normal duties (I'm a GIS technologist for my city) I uncovered an issue - a new traffic interchange opened and it affected the dangerous goods route, so I made some inquiries about the out of date bylaw and in so doing started a rolling snowball effect that involves the fire chief, Transportation manager and city council. The bylaw will now be rewritten and will go before council to include changes that otherwise wouldn't have been made if I had not made these inquiries (which is beyond the scope of my normal duties).

Just a little thing I suppose, but one that actually made a difference, for a change.

What interesting work stories does anyone else have to share?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,034 Posts
The Job I currently have I am in charge of 2 other managers and their work crews about 40 people total, anyway I started here at the bottom as just a technician then worked my way up and then left for 1 year as a local university was building a medical school and needed someone to setup their network which is what i do anyway The superintendent of schools called me one day and said he wanted me back long story short I came back and noticed how the work flow was bottle necking and I came up with a triage solution similar to an emergency room but faster service, I also implemented the ability to remotely handle calls versus going on site as we have 50 different campuses across town Now about 85 % of our depts work flow is handled at the time the call comes in and is solved versus driving to users a location, the other 15% are normally true hardware issues and You have to go on site anyway this has saved the school district alot of money in travelling and stuff versus the old way
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,190 Posts
My husband has found a # of broken rails .. these have the potential to derail a train ......the RR used to give Gold watches to each man who finds one (a small cost in comparison to cleaning up a possible disaster)....but this has dried up...he's gotten some gift certificates though. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My husband has found a # of broken rails .. these have the potential to derail a train ......the RR used to give Gold watches to each man who finds one (a small cost in comparison to cleaning up a possible disaster)....but this has dried up...he's gotten some gift certificates though. :)
Sounds like the basis of the next reality show: Broken Rail Hunters.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,548 Posts
My accomplishment?

I've got 5 days off! Yay!
 
  • Like
Reactions: In_The_Wind

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,174 Posts
Felt kinda proud of one accomplishment at work, and felt like sharing, realized there aren't really any threads here about work life...

anyways, a while ago during the course of my normal duties (I'm a GIS technologist for my city) I uncovered an issue - a new traffic interchange opened and it affected the dangerous goods route, so I made some inquiries about the out of date bylaw and in so doing started a rolling snowball effect that involves the fire chief, Transportation manager and city council. The bylaw will now be rewritten and will go before council to include changes that otherwise wouldn't have been made if I had not made these inquiries (which is beyond the scope of my normal duties).

Just a little thing I suppose, but one that actually made a difference, for a change.

What interesting work stories does anyone else have to share?
WOOT WOOT! I left all your text in so it could be repeated!

I have an interview on Monday with a firm that does text analytics in business predictions. My career interests and skills are definitely a niche. It would be contract consulting work. I was approached academically at a conference I went to in August, but the academics are linked to a business, and I caught the interest of the principal there, knowledge and skill-wise. I guess that answers the question of whether one can make a living doing text analytics, and where does my writing/comparative literature degree fit into my big picture? This position was entirely unsolicited. I was just doing my thing, figuring I would do my thing and well, if the money followed it followed and if it didn't at least I was funded through my paid work and in part by the low-paying research job I had over the summer.

I'm not saving any lives...yet. There is another project that monitors FB and Twitter postings of enrollees in a project and screens for depression/suicide. Don't worry, not gonna touch this site with that stuff...
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top