Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am completely in love with my fiancee and want to make sure I do everything I can to help create the happy marriage we both deserve. I feel like mutual respect is a huge component of a healthy marriage. I'm trying to learn what kinds of things make women gain respect and lose respect for their husbands (perhaps this happens gradually over time) in order to make sure I don't unconsciously contribute to a gradual decline in mutual respect for one another.

I understand the importance of sharing chores such as laundry, cleaning the house, cooking dinner, buying groceries, etc.. etc… I make sure to help as much as possible with those items.

P.S. Have any of you ever read "Love & Respect" by Emmerson Eggerichs. I would love to get a lot of thoughts on the book and its content.

·
Premium Member
20,411 Posts
I read it several years ago. I thought it was good, especially the part about when you feel a power struggle coming on, stopping and praying with each other.

My husband is not very emotional, so that makes our marriage pretty easy. He doesn't take things personally. The more confident the man is in himself, the easier things seem to go.

But it has to be true confidence, based on solid values, like honesty and integrity.

Humility in both spouses is very important. Do not be afraid to be the first to say, "I did not treat you the way I myself would've liked to have been treated. Can I have a do over?" :)

I think with transparency and humility, you will have a very good marriage. :)

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I don't believe women respect men for helping with household chores.

I think they respect men who possess a set of values, act according to those values, and make decisions about who or what gets to be involved in his life based on those values.

·
Registered
88 Posts

I think they respect men who possess a set of values, act according to those values, and make decisions about who or what gets to be involved in his life based on those values.
I don’t believe all 3 billion women on the earth are the same. Sorry, there is no blanket answer that solves “the mystery of women.” Some are rotten, some are great.

·
Premium Member
20,411 Posts
I respect men who help with household chores.

·
Registered
10,573 Posts
Perhaps helping with chores doesn't engender respect, but NOT helping with chores will absolutely trigger resentment which kills respect.

Avoiding things that make a woman loose respect for you is a priority.

I respect honesty and integrity. I respect strength, both physical and emotional. I respect authenticity. I respect forthrightness and firm boundaries. I respect a person who can admit their mistakes more than a person who doesn't make them. I respect a person who can say the truth of what's on their mind in as gentle a manner as possible. I respect a person who can show compassion while leading. I respect a person who understand their own strengths and weaknesses and seeks to grow. I respect courage and critical thinking.

Understand that you can respect a person even if you don't really like them. And you can like a person even if you don't really respect them very much.

·
Super Moderator
11,146 Posts

I don't respect men who "help with household chores". I do respect men who do their part in the house because they live there. I work too and I ain't your maid.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
417 Posts
I respect men who help with household chores.
In the first 10 years of my marriage I was consistent ,helped a lot in house chores ; changing diapers , following a kid playing , crawling on floor to feed them , bring grocery , help cooking , etc ...

When i became ill and had some health issues , all what i got was disrespect ...

then slowly sex became a favor from her; or a duty to fulfill.

from vanilla I accepted even ; I reached the point were if I initiate , she wouldn't even give a .hit.

Not to generalize ; but all over the world there are types of the lovely creature called women :

-respect husbands as long as they are respectful.
-respect husbands as long as they able to give, spend time and money .
-respect husbands as long as they are powerful.

My wife disrespected me when I dared to tell her that budget is limited this month to necessities;I became disrespectful because I broke an arm onetime and after few weeks when felt better i dared to ask for specific positions in sex ...

Ladies , you are lovely creatures ;why your husbands becomes a$$holes just if they don't help in your specialization .

If I do equal chores at home that are yours ; will you take over mine when I m tired ; will you fix the roof , chase moles with traps , etc ...?

Men over the world are paying the price of disrespect because of religion , social effects and what's called "fight for feminism".

Thats my view , think about it ...

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I respect honesty and integrity. I respect strength, both physical and emotional. I respect authenticity. I respect forthrightness and firm boundaries. I respect a person who can admit their mistakes more than a person who doesn't make them. I respect a person who can say the truth of what's on their mind in as gentle a manner as possible. I respect a person who can show compassion while leading. I respect a person who understand their own strengths and weaknesses and seeks to grow. I respect courage and critical thinking.
It's a good list, but I question respecting physical strength. Isn't that like respecting height or good looks?

Or is it more a recognition of the physical strength difference between men and women (on average)? For instance, I can (and do) lug heavy stuff around the house or yard that my wife couldn't deal with. But if she was a crossfit maniac she could be as strong and not really respect that.

·
Registered
10,573 Posts
It's a good list, but I question respecting physical strength. Isn't that like respecting height or good looks?

Or is it more a recognition of the physical strength difference between men and women (on average)? For instance, I can (and do) lug heavy stuff around the house or yard that my wife couldn't deal with. But if she was a crossfit maniac she could be as strong and not really respect that.
For me, the strength part is relative to my strength. Even at my strongest my husband at his weakest was infinitely stronger than me. I, personally, could not fully respect a man who was not physically stronger than me. Unfortunately now a days that's a very easy order to fill. My husband has always had the physical strength of a gorilla, no matter what he does or doesn't do. So not fair!

·
Premium Member
4,182 Posts
Like JLD, my hubby is not very emotional and doesn't take things personally. If something he does/doesn't do gives me pause, I can tell him and he'll either take it on board or he won't, but he won't get upset or take it as a criticism.

For us, love and respect are equals at the top of our list. And wherever possible, if we are negotiating something we always aim for a win-win outcome. If either of us has to "lose" for the other to "win", neither of us are happy with that.

Humility is also a biggie...when I get all hormonal and cry 'cause he "did something" which was nothing really, lol, or I'm tired and snappy I always apologise to him later if I snapped at him...and vice versa if he's stressed and snaps at me.

Love, respect and humility. Throw in a healthy mix of honesty, integrity and commitment, and you'll having a loving, happy marriage :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Cliche, but, choose your battles. Put the ego to the side. Communicate every day. Don't be afraid to ask for what you want, not demand. Be kind to each other. Laugh often. Have organization when it comes to who/how the home will be taken care of, bills, your own self. Know your partner well and yourself even better and the rest shouldn't be a struggle. Have some type of faith and positivity in your life.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.