Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife, new marriage, is very jealous of daughter. We have been married almost a year. My daughter is 7.

She has told me my daughter should never sit in my lap. She loves kids and will consistently talk about how cute kids are that age and how she would like to adopt them. However she is colder and colder to my daughter. She tells me constantly that I put my daughter before her.

Tonight I hit the breaking point because my daughter was laughing looking and touching my feet and comparing them to hers and saying she didn't want her feet to look like mine (me either!). I laughed and told her she was being weird. Afterwards my wife told me it was inappropriate how she was touching my feet and giggling. I just don't get it. Anyone been through this before? I also have an older teen son with no issues like this with her.

·
Registered
586 Posts
It sounds like controlling behaviour, has she been this way about other people in your life that you’re close to? You and your daughter might share a close bond and it sounds like she doesn’t want you to be close to anyone other than her?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She's not like this about anyone or anything else really. It's like she doesn't like my daughter taking any attention from her.

No, she wasn't like this before. And its something that consistently is getting worse. She will also say she worries my daughter is too vain because she likes to dress up and look pretty and play with makeup or pretend. She will say she is just like her mom.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She is in her early 40s. We each have 2 kids. Hers are older boys, preteen and teenage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What's adding additional stress to this is we are probably moving from a 50/50 schedule with my daughter to a 100% due to my ex taking a position out of country (for 2-3 years). My wife is super stressed about the potential change with a "I didn't sign up for this" attitude. To me that is ******** as anyone in a marriage with kids involved is just an accident away from this at anytime.

·
Super Moderator
9,310 Posts
How much of your daughter's care is your wife going to be responsible for with 100% custody?

A lot of men dump the care of their kids onto the new wife. Can you verify whether this is the case with you?

·
Registered
11,850 Posts
So my wife, new marriage, is very jealous of daughter. We have been married almost a year. My daughter is 7.

She has told me my daughter should never sit in my lap. She loves kids and will consistently talk about how cute kids are that age and how she would like to adopt them. However she is colder and colder to my daughter. She tells me constantly that I put my daughter before her.

Tonight I hit the breaking point because my daughter was laughing looking and touching my feet and comparing them to hers and saying she didn't want her feet to look like mine (me either!). I laughed and told her she was being weird. Afterwards my wife told me it was inappropriate how she was touching my feet and giggling. I just don't get it. Anyone been through this before? I also have an older teen son with no issues like this with her.
Good grief why did you marry such a paranoid woman?. There is no way that I would let a step parent affect my relationship with my young child in this way. I mean a 7 year old cant sit on your lap??? Thats just totally weird.
Unless she can stop being like this its hard to see how the marriage will last much longer. Your daughter may begin to resent her as well.

·
Registered
11,850 Posts
She's not like this about anyone or anything else really. It's like she doesn't like my daughter taking any attention from her.

No, she wasn't like this before. And its something that consistently is getting worse. She will also say she worries my daughter is too vain because she likes to dress up and look pretty and play with makeup or pretend. She will say she is just like her mom.
Wow, thats terrible. I would say that you have a very troubling time ahead. She clearly has issues both with your daugher and her mum.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
This is only a suspicion but given that she mostly complains about the physical aspects of your relationship, I guess she fears your relationship w/ D is becoming sexual in some way. I think that is crazy(if true) but am putting it out there in case it helps some how.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts