Talk About Marriage banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been married for almost three years, and noticing my wife is increasingly becoming obsessed with money. I don't have the money I think she needs because after I pay the bills and debts, I barely have any left for myself. She is a nail tech, but share barely works. She works when she wants to and can go two weeks without working but constantly complains that she is broke. I'm like, "Duh! You spend most of your time sleeping and cancel on clients on a whim."

She has two best friends, both not married. One is dating a married man who happens to have a lot of money and takes her out to fancy places and gets her pretty much what ever she wants. Her other friend is constantly being courted by guys with money, offering to take care of her every needs. I know because she constantly brings it up, and I feel she lives vicariously through them.

Her days are spent on social media to the point I can barely get her attention for more than two minutes. She either hurries the conversation along or gets frustrated the longer I keep talking that she responds in ways to end the conversation (one-word answers).

Being on social media is not a problem, but she over does it. She is sees her friends' successes and comes to tell me about them, with emphasis on how much money they're making. And she often tells me about her guys friends as well. I've heard her say the phrase "He is loaded" so many times that it is frustrating. I can swear she gets turned on by guys with money because she likes talking about them, with emphasis on what they are doing for their girlfriends/wives (trips, phones and cars).

She subjects herself to so much jealousy that she has basically checked out of our marriage. The little victories are not enough. She makes me feel like I'm wasting her time when she could be doing better... like her friends.

All this is not to say I'm perfect (not by a long shot). I know I should not feel insecure (people are allowed to be more successful than me), but she is my wife and I need her to know that what she has with me right now should be enough. It's okay to want more, but I feel that if she helped me out more financially and worked harder, she can reach the level she needs to be or get closer at least.

I just feel like right now, she is not happy because she doesn't have money.

Normally, I don't care or I feel happy for people's successes, but when my wife brings it up a lot, it makes me feel sad and helpless that I'm nowhere close to giving her that.

I need to tell her this but she also has a temper. Also, she never lets me finish my thoughts and constantly interrupts me.

How can approach this?

·
Registered
544 Posts
she needs a sugar daddy , or some one that wants a trophy wife ,
very little on social media is true most put on a smile and like to tell others about how good their life is ,
You don't see people there telling the world about the husband coming home drunk or the wife out with her toy boy ,

you say your not perfect and no one is but some think they have a right to the high life with out putting anything in

she lives in a dream world , best to let her copies her friends and let her find a rich guy

you would be better off letting her go her own way

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your wasting your life on a woman that will never be satisfied. You are going to end up burning out and in debt.
I know. I just need to know if there is a way to reach out to someone like that. Snap them back to their senses, if you will. I love her and I need to try something because she wasn't always like this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why are you married to this in the first place? You do have a choice.
I just need to give it a shot in case I am reading things wrong and maybe try to find the root cause of the issue. Any help towards handling this from people who have been in marriage longer than me would be great. Otherwise, you're right that I do have a choice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
she needs a sugar daddy , or some one that wants a trophy wife ,
very little on social media is true most put on a smile and like to tell others about how good their life is ,
You don't see people there telling the world about the husband coming home drunk or the wife out with her toy boy ,

you say your not perfect and no one is but some think they have a right to the high life with out putting anything in

she lives in a dream world , best to let her copies her friends and let her find a rich guy

you would be better off letting her go her own way
You have hit the nail on the head in so many ways.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
You aren't going to change her. I strongly advise divorce. If you wait too long, you could actually end up paying her spousal support. You are choosing to stay married to a woman who lounges around and barely works. In a divorce, you'll pay for that choice.

If she wants more money she can get her lazy ass to working a full time job.

·
Registered
726 Posts
It sounds like if you won a million in the lottery, she’d ask how come you didn’t win two million.

So you have a person who is dissatisfied with what she has. Now you can bend over backwards showing her and telling her about all your other wonderful qualities, or you can actually ignore it all and change the subject whenever she brings it up. That’s a small start.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
I know. I just need to know if there is a way to reach out to someone like that. Snap them back to their senses, if you will. I love her and I need to try something because she wasn't always like this.
She's like this now and you need to deal with her as-is, not as was.

This is a woman that is basically living as an adolescent on summer vacation. She has lost touch with reality and you are enabling her. She needs a reality check and it will involve some tough love. Can you do that? If not, if you think you'll cave and roll over when she cries and threatens and throws fits then don't bother.

She needs a job. Now. A real job, not her nail hobby she can drop and pick back up at will. A job that involves a schedule and responsibility. Insist on it.

You put some bills in her name and make her responsible, all by herself, for paying them. You do NOT pay anything for her. She's a grown woman. There is no reason she can't work full time and cover things such as, perhaps, the utilities and groceries while you pay, say, the rent or mortgage. This is non-negotiable.

As far as social media, that needs to stop, too. She has a job to work, her share of the house to clean, and her share of the marriage to maintain. She doesn't have time to sit on her ass for hours scrolling through the lies people post to make their lives look better than they are. I like social media as much as the next gal, but when it interferes with operating as a fully functioning adult it has to either go altogether or be regulated. I give myself permission to peruse a few sites, a time limit on how long I use social media (including this forum) and then I go start on the days work.

As far as her friend..well. Ask your wife what she thinks of her friend. What kind of person does wife think friend is.

Then point out this woman is committing adultery and is actively, selfishly, participating in the ruin of another woman's life. She's acting as a prostitute, really. She gets gifts and taken places in exchange for sex and discretion. She lacks character, morals, is a known liar, and is willing to harm others for her own gain. That's the reality after you break it down to it's simplest form. And the other friend who is constantly getting offers from rich men? Yeah, they're looking for the same arrangement.

Lovely friends your wife has there.

If she can't see what those women are and eject them from her life after you point it out then perhaps you've been in error of what kind of person your wife is and she really should join her friends in selling their bodies for $.

·
Registered
116 Posts
3 quick things, a conclusion, & “No-Jerry’s Final Though”:
Her choice in friends tell you a lot about her and her core character.
Her choice to remain friends with them as they date married men… Even MORE!
& her envy of them says more than enough.

Conclusion: She is NOT a Safe Partner!

“No-Jerry’s Final Though”:
An “Old Adage” is just that old. Its old and still known for the reason that there is truth in it. In your wife’s case, “You can judge a person by the company they keep.”, applies. Now amplify that by envy and/or jealousy and you can expect a high level of shadowing/emulation.

They question(s) you have to ask yourself is, “Is this something I am willing to accept in my marriage?” If not then ask “What am I gonna do about it?”

in the end you deserve better, everyone deserves better than this. Just understand what you establish as acceptable early on in your marriage sets the foundation for your entire marriage.

Good luck!

·
Registered
581 Posts
She has money grubbing adulteress friends. It would be one thing if she constantly complained about their horrible behavior and she was sticking with them because she is a "fixer". That isn't the case. She is jealous of them. She envy's their lives. What do you think will happen when the first opportunity comes along for her to join them as money grubbing adulterers?

I hope there are lots of positive things about her that you haven't mentioned because based on this I'm not sure why you would want to save the marriage. However, if you do, I think she has to detach from those friends, get off social media completely for an extended period and she needs to get a job to start contributing financially to the marriage. If she isn't willing to do any of those I say cut her loose.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
I just believe there could be hope, but I need to try before I can officially say I'm wasting my time.
Hopium will just get you a long stay in limbo. This is who she is. Most do not change. You want to waste your life on this go ahead.

Most people like you can’t/won’t make a decision. Not uncommon but from what I’ve seen you’ll regret it later.

for help download and read “No More Mr Nice Guy” by glover. It’s a free pdf download and short. All the advice isn’t going to help you if you ignore the facts and don’t apply it.

·
Registered
14,074 Posts
Hi all,

I've been married for almost three years, and noticing my wife is increasingly becoming obsessed with money. I don't have the money I think she needs because after I pay the bills and debts, I barely have any left for myself. She is a nail tech, but share barely works. She works when she wants to and can go two weeks without working but constantly complains that she is broke. I'm like, "Duh! You spend most of your time sleeping and cancel on clients on a whim."

She has two best friends, both not married. One is dating a married man who happens to have a lot of money and takes her out to fancy places and gets her pretty much what ever she wants. Her other friend is constantly being courted by guys with money, offering to take care of her every needs. I know because she constantly brings it up, and I feel she lives vicariously through them.

Her days are spent on social media to the point I can barely get her attention for more than two minutes. She either hurries the conversation along or gets frustrated the longer I keep talking that she responds in ways to end the conversation (one-word answers).

Being on social media is not a problem, but she over does it. She is sees her friends' successes and comes to tell me about them, with emphasis on how much money they're making. And she often tells me about her guys friends as well. I've heard her say the phrase "He is loaded" so many times that it is frustrating. I can swear she gets turned on by guys with money because she likes talking about them, with emphasis on what they are doing for their girlfriends/wives (trips, phones and cars).

She subjects herself to so much jealousy that she has basically checked out of our marriage. The little victories are not enough. She makes me feel like I'm wasting her time when she could be doing better... like her friends.

All this is not to say I'm perfect (not by a long shot). I know I should not feel insecure (people are allowed to be more successful than me), but she is my wife and I need her to know that what she has with me right now should be enough. It's okay to want more, but I feel that if she helped me out more financially and worked harder, she can reach the level she needs to be or get closer at least.

I just feel like right now, she is not happy because she doesn't have money.

Normally, I don't care or I feel happy for people's successes, but when my wife brings it up a lot, it makes me feel sad and helpless that I'm nowhere close to giving her that.

I need to tell her this but she also has a temper. Also, she never lets me finish my thoughts and constantly interrupts me.

How can approach this?
With divorce papers.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Here's a valuable lesson that I've learned in life: comparing yourself, what you have (or don't) and your life to the lives of others and what others have will always lead to a lot of disappointment. @jimmy89, this is what your wife seems to be doing, and it's a losing game. There'll always be someone who has a cool new gadget, a most stable marriage or relationship, a new baby, a new pet, whatever, and it will be something that your wife wants too. From what you wrote, she seems to be the type of person who won't be totally satisfied.

You do need to talk to her about this, but if she has a temper, you'll have to tread lightly. Maybe just sit down with her and a couple glasses of wine, and tell her in a very calm manner that you're trying your best to give her the best life that you can, but are struggling, and ask her if she would be willing to contribute a little more. If her answer is yes, make a game plan that you can both stick to, and go from there. The stress of having the majority of life's financial burdens on your shoulders is no way to live. It's stressful, and will eventually wear you down. Nip this in the bud now, and go from there.

ETA: Your wife needs to find some new friends who have some morals!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Don't attempt to "buy the princess" it is not worth the stress and worry. She will never be satisfied financially.

·
Premium Member
6,317 Posts
Well, considering she barely earns any, it certainly is a red flag she is obsessed with wanting other people to earn money and spend it on her. Do not do anything you can't afford. She is working herself up to wanting a sugar daddy, and you may lose her, and it may be the best thing, honestly. She covets what other women say they have. You need to be firm and tell her, Look, I'm not ever going to be rich and you're the one not working, so if you want money, get to work and earn it. And let the chips fall.

I would say she is high risk for cheating..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts