Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The self-absorbed spouse.

We've been married for just over 5yrs, we have a 3.5 yr old boy.

Lately my wife seems very self absorbed, it's as if she can't be bothered by our son or me wanting to spend time together.
She's been doing this crossfit training program at our gym, she's been doing it for a year but in the last 2-3 months, she's been overly absorbed with it, to the neglect of our marriage, connecting with each other, and as well our son, who's been acting out against her. (not wanting mommy to read him stories, or come in the car to school, not listening to her, etc.)

I've mentioned this to her and she takes it as me smothering her, not wanting her to have independence, I say, you're not independent, you have a 3.5yr old son who needs his mother and a marriage to care for.

She doesn't seem to want to connect with me or our son. When she says "i'm here I'm present" I point out that she sits on the couch and doesn't give him undivided attention, she's on her phone. when she's home, she's not 'PRESENT' if you know what I mean.

I ry to give her space but then she tells me I'm acting weird. Obviously it's difficult to hide that I'm feeling neglected and in a marriage where I feel alone.

She doesn't seem to want to invest any time into our family, but invests tons of time in her crossfit routine, and herself.

anybody else experience this, is it just a phase?

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
Re: The self-absorbed spouse.

It's not a phase. This board is full of spouses who care more about friends, work, facebook, video games, etc. than their marriage and kids.

It's a trap actually. People (and I've been there) get caught up in other things that are more 'fun' than the actual work of life. I mean lets face it crossfit training is way more fun than being a wife and mother.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Re: The self-absorbed spouse.

Are you sure there isn't more than just the crossfit training going on?

She's been doing this crossfit training program at our gym, she's been doing it for a year but in the last 2-3 months, she's been overly absorbed with it,

she's on her phone. when she's home, she's not 'PRESENT' if you know what I mean.
Who is she on the phone with?

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Sorry to hear about that what neglect! Being constantly on the computer and phone red flag! Do some investigating by keylogging the computer check her phone records and put a VAR in her car and 1 in the house. That is just not normal for a mother geez.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
This story just breaks my heart. Your poor son.

What I suggest is that you act to resolve this, do not put it on the back burner or rug sweep the situation. Take action.

I just think that it would be more detrimental to have your son go through the next few years with a mother who is present and rejects him as opposed to her not being present as much. It would be better if you had custody and he saw her part time rather than live with her full time and be subjected to daily rejection from his own mother. How very damaging that is, as you posted you see the damage already and he's just a toddler.

Don't put your son through this action and timely resolution is needed for your son's sake.
This is spot on!:iagree::iagree:

·
Registered
232 Posts
My ex is this way and he does CrossFit also. His life revolves around it. He skips soccer games, pawns the kids off on relatives etc for it. Every minute of his life outside of work is CF. it's sad that he doesn't enjoy out beautiful kids who are truly a joy to be around. Honestly I used to get mad, but the kids are better off with the family he's leaving them with than with him.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
My ex is this way and he does CrossFit also. His life revolves around it. He skips soccer games, pawns the kids off on relatives etc for it. Every minute of his life outside of work is CF. it's sad that he doesn't enjoy out beautiful kids who are truly a joy to be around. Honestly I used to get mad, but the kids are better off with the family he's leaving them with than with him.
Wow.

You're right, the kids are better off not being around him if that's how he thinks. It's like some kind of addiction.

·
Banned
51 Posts
Sorry to hear about that what neglect! Being constantly on the computer and phone red flag! Do some investigating by keylogging the computer check her phone records and put a VAR in her car and 1 in the house. That is just not normal for a mother geez.
yes yes, true

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"so nothing has really changed since your first post?"

Actually it has. After we had a talk, she called the other school, cancelled her contract 2 months early, stopped going that day, and began going to the program held at our mutual gym. The guy I was uncomfortable with, she has stopped communicating with, said it wasn't worth the friendship of someone who disrespects her husband, and made me uncomfortable. We then were connecting well and she and I felt good about each other.

"Who is she on the phone with?"

We've got iphones, she's usually on the Facebook app, checking her email, texting with her female friend (thats the mom of our sons school mate)

I've checked her phone, her emails, etc, haven't found anything that would raise any red flags. she doesn't hide her phone or anything like that. She's just always "connected" to tech and social media.

"WHO she's training with."

It's a class at the gym we go to, I also go to the class a couple times a week, it's group training, just like my group boxing class.

In my first post, as cited, I was worried about infidelity, but I'm actually not getting that impression anymore, I do think she's looking for something thats "her own" , maybe overwhelmed with work, being a mom and a wife, and is feeling her physical training is something all her own.... but she's being very self absorbed with it, it's all she'll talk about, and everything else going on seems to be a bother because it's not about "her thing".

I think it's more self-absorption than infidelity. she gets obsessed with things, no matter what it is, she seem to make healthy things, unhealthy because she absorbs herself into it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's funny, because I have also been into fitness and I do crossfit too, to a lesser degree because I also do boxing. She was never into fitness, but is absorbed with CF now.

But I'm not always talking about fitness, we were going to the gym together once a week, it was fun, I would train her, and we'd get that time together, but now she doesn't even want to do that and just do CF.

·
Banned
1,967 Posts
I think it's more self-absorption than infidelity. she gets obsessed with things, no matter what it is, she seem to make healthy things, unhealthy because she absorbs herself into it.
Thats what I was thinking she becomes obsessed when she finds a hobby .

Have you considered she is ADD? I didn't realize this but one symptom is "hyper focus" on things we enjoy or tasks we feel useful productive at.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This story just breaks my heart. Your poor son.

What I suggest is that you act to resolve this, do not put it on the back burner or rug sweep the situation. Take action.

I just think that it would be more detrimental to have your son go through the next few years with a mother who is present and rejects him as opposed to her not being present as much. It would be better if you had custody and he saw her part time rather than live with her full time and be subjected to daily rejection from his own mother. How very damaging that is, as you posted you see the damage already and he's just a toddler.

Don't put your son through this action and timely resolution is needed for your son's sake.

Don't get me wrong, she gives him love and hugs and is cute with him, and loves him to death, but it's moments like this, she'll kiss on him and hug him up and then, ok eat your dinner, and I'll be on the computer, or cleaning up.

but there's never undivided attention for long, she almost NEVER plays with him, no blocks, no puzzles, even sitting watching a cartoon with him she doesn't watch with him, she'll be on her phone.

she good with tasks, making dinner, making breakfast, but parenting, BEING THERE, asking him about his day etc, nada.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
...I think it's more self-absorption than infidelity. she gets obsessed with things, no matter what it is, she seem to make healthy things, unhealthy because she absorbs herself into it.
OK, I'll take your word for it.

I might encourage her to throw herself into it, but NOT at the expense of her family. Sorry - put the effing phone down. Fitness is good, hobbies are good, ignoring you child in the room to check facebook? Sorry - not so much.

Now - I get the vibe your needy. I might be totally wrong here - but if you agree have that in the back of your mind when talking.

I would just sit her down and remind her that she has a 3.5 year old son and she is going to suddenly (oh so suddenly!) look up and he is going to be 10. These years are critically important and it requires, demands, her full attention diring the few hours you actually ARE together as a family. Dont play the blame card for your sons outbursts because frankly that belongs to both of you - no doubt about it. If she wants time alone with him thats fine to - then you get out of the house and do something else. She should be engaged in his life.

How much time, exactly is she spending on this little hobby?

The more I think about this - the more I think I would get out in front of this little disaster train with gusto - but I feel like I dont really understand your situation well enough... like there is a lot here that is being left unsaid.

·
Premium Member
9,836 Posts
Don't get me wrong, she gives him love and hugs and is cute with him, and loves him to death, but it's moments like this, she'll kiss on him and hug him up and then, ok eat your dinner, and I'll be on the computer, or cleaning up.

but there's never undivided attention for long, she almost NEVER plays with him, no blocks, no puzzles, even sitting watching a cartoon with him she doesn't watch with him, she'll be on her phone.

she good with tasks, making dinner, making breakfast, but parenting, BEING THERE, asking him about his day etc, nada.
Unfortunately, not all mothers are involved in the lives of their child/children. If that's a recent thing, then she's probably focusing on something else. If it's not, then that may be just the way she is (and whether she's willing to put in the effort to correct it is something you will only find out if you discuss it with her --- if you already have, I apologize for having missed it).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.