Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with fibromyalgia. She has not been feeling well for a couple of years now. She has been suffering with aches and pains and not sleeping well and general fatigue. She saw several doctors but finally found one that would put a name to what she is dealing with (after examination and tests).
Does anyone else here suffer (or have a spouse that suffers) from fibromyalgia? If so, how do you deal with it? Physical therapy? Medication? What has been your experience? What sort of an impact has it had on your relationship and sex life?
All input and advice is welcome.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My fibro is secondary to my autoimmune disease. Lifestyle changes is one of the best ways to fight the pain. Exercise is very important, but start very little increasing slowly so there is no fatigue. I know with me if I do too much It will effect the next day. Google "The Spoon Theory", it really helps you understand her limitations, might help her too.

There are many drugs that treat, most start with a low dose antidepressant and move on from there to things like Lyrica, I am just started one called Savella that has been found to reduce fibro pain. Sleep is very important, or I should say restorative sleep is. Some say diet can affect the pain, I am currently being tested for food allergies that could be causing some of my pain. A nutritionalist might be a good start in that arena. Hot pads can help relieve stiffness, ice sometimes help (really comes down to experimenting) Massage would be helpful (I get one once a week and it is amazing how much it helps with the pain and just overall stress. Stress is bad for fibro.)

My illness first drove us apart, but most of that was me not talking and him not wanting to know. Now things have changed as we are in this together. We talk about everything (my health and HIS), share in the decision making equally, and he accompanies me to every appointment and vise versa. And sometimes the best thing he can do is put his arms around me when I am in pain.

Pain does not mix well with sex, we manage that by talking. I find that scheduling sex is the best for me, then I reserve my energy through the day to make sure that I can be fully involved.

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
My mom suffered from this for years.

When I went gluten free for pain (female issues and IBS), she did too and her issues went away.

I swear, research the cons of gluten. Maybe it would benefit your wife. It helped me within 3 days. If I accidently get gluten now, i can tell...I'm effed up for a couple of days.

Im just intolerant. Your wife could be too.

·
Registered
723 Posts
:iagree:

Yes, gluten affects me badly as well. If I eat gluten, my joints swell & ache like you would not believe. I only need to eat a couple of chicken nuggets & I cannot close my hands.

The main culprit for those who are intolerant is wheat. The wheat we get in our food nowdays has been so GM that it is hard for a lot of people to digest. When your liver gets overloaded with toxins, it stores the excess toxins in the joints, thus giving the affected person joint pain.

Definately worth looking into, there are plenty of gluten free options available now days. It took about a week for me to see the difference & I have been gluten free for years now, with the occasional foray into gluten land again. Usually I end up regretting these forays greatly..

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
Yes. It's very easy for me to be gluten free. I don't miss anything. I just read packages. Allergens will be on the back.

Gluten is inflames shet.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for the the feedback. I had not heard about gluten being a contributor to fibromyalgia. I will have to do some more research on that and talk to my wife about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.