Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post here. Wife of 17 years a month and a half ago hit me with the head slap -- she hasn't been happy for some time (re: 2 years) as we have been growing apart. Financial issues, her business failing, stuff. Anyway -- she hooked up with a friend from her high school days recently. Seems he was going through a divorce and leaned on her. She is now involved in an EA with him.

So she started out as wanting to go to counciling to fix our marriage problems. She said she would stop seeing him. That lasted four days before she posted something on FB and he texted her. They have been seeing each other about 2x per week since, with texting and FB messaging daily. She isn't "hiding" it from me either, she lets me know when they are meeting up.

We have been in counciling since she told me. Four weeks with one councilor until we decided she was just spinning our wheels. We started 2 weeks ago with another one, who we both feel has a better handle on our problems and how to deal with them.

Unfortunately the councilor has stated that we need to "wean" her off her emotional dependence on the OM , but .. she can't let go of the "romantic" love she feels for him. She also cannot walk away from our marriage .. and yes, that means the marriage not me. For me it's the old "I love you but am not in love with you" routine.

So I'm trying to be patient. I'm trying to play by the rules the councilor set forth -- don't talk about the "issue" since we have beat it to death and both know what it is. Spend time together just talking, find things to discuss that are outside our standard stuff. Also have to play by the rules my wife set forth -- no intimacy or contact as it makes her uncomfortable and she ends up wanting to run to him when she gets that uncomfortable.

Last week she went to talk with him about what the councilor had said about her leaving him. I had thought it was to cut him out of our life, but all she did was "prep" him for the possibilty. So according to her he will "do whatever she asks -- she just hasn't asked". Back to square one for us both -- which is being in limbo. She won't commit to him, won't commit to us, can't decide.

It seems forever since this all started, but it's really only been 6 weeks. I'm trying to be patient, keep my chin up, keep my anger from showing, keeping the pain from making me a head case, and hoping the counciling begins to take some effect. I'm also trying to fix all the little things that I know were my contribution to us growing apart -- like not spending hours in on-line gaming, but instead helping with housework, waiting on dinner till she gets home (she works evenings), spending time just talking / being together.

So far there aren't any signs she is thawing, but I see in forum post folks struggling for months or years. Is that pretty much expected?

Any advice? Seems like all I can do is continue on being here for me, my kids and her; continue with counciling, and work on re-establishing some sort of life of my own.

I could really use some encouragement, any words of advice, anything.....

·
Registered
180 Posts
If you act like a doormat you'll be treated like a doormat. You need to tell her what is expected of her or you will leave. There is no way the EA won't become a PA if you just let them keep meeting. If you act like a man she may start to see you as one again and become attracted to you again.

I'm not saying you should be an a$$hole. Just stand up for yourself.

·
Premium Member
5,781 Posts
I think you need yet another counselor. The 'weaning' business is very bad news. Your W needs to cut off all contact with her OM for you to have a chance. I think to a person you will hear that here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks confusedFather. Easy to say 'tell her you'll leave" -- but quite a bit harder for me to do. We have four children, whom I cannot and will not walk away from. If she chooses to do so that is her choice.

·
Banned
9,914 Posts
Fire the counselor, they are an enabler. You've seen yourself that she isn't any closer to ending the EA than when you began counselling.

You don't wean off and affair. You end it because it's better than ending your marriage.

Has the OM an wife or gf? You need to contact them.

You need to clearly tell your wife there are only two people in a marriage and a relationship and right now there are three.

Btw, how do you know it hasn't gone physical? If she's got such romantic attraction to him, and sees him alone for hours each week, it's very likely gone physical. It's only natural to do that with someone you are o attracted to.

·
Banned
9,914 Posts
Thanks confusedFather. Easy to say 'tell her you'll leave" -- but quite a bit harder for me to do. We have four children, whom I cannot and will not walk away from. If she chooses to do so that is her choice.
No don't t ell her to leave. But do expose the affair to friends and family, especially those of the OM. Tell them he's wrecking a home with 4 kids.

·
Registered
56 Posts
No don't t ell her to leave. But do expose the affair to friends and family, especially those of the OM. Tell them he's wrecking a home with 4 kids.
:iagree:

she will get pi$$ed be forewarned.

Id then tell her its either you or him and mean it.Dont drag out the conversation or be pushy or rude just be polite but firm.

also your counselor is right about the not talking about it, enjoy time together thing , but flat out wrong about the weaning

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
First post here. Wife of 17 years a month and a half ago hit me with the head slap -- she hasn't been happy for some time (re: 2 years) as we have been growing apart. Financial issues, her business failing, stuff. Anyway -- she hooked up with a friend from her high school days recently. Seems he was going through a divorce and leaned on her. She is now involved in an EA with him.

So she started out as wanting to go to counciling to fix our marriage problems. She said she would stop seeing him. That lasted four days before she posted something on FB and he texted her. They have been seeing each other about 2x per week since, with texting and FB messaging daily. She isn't "hiding" it from me either, she lets me know when they are meeting up.

We have been in counciling since she told me. Four weeks with one councilor until we decided she was just spinning our wheels. We started 2 weeks ago with another one, who we both feel has a better handle on our problems and how to deal with them.

Unfortunately the councilor has stated that we need to "wean" her off her emotional dependence on the OM , but .. she can't let go of the "romantic" love she feels for him. She also cannot walk away from our marriage .. and yes, that means the marriage not me. For me it's the old "I love you but am not in love with you" routine.

So I'm trying to be patient. I'm trying to play by the rules the councilor set forth -- don't talk about the "issue" since we have beat it to death and both know what it is. Spend time together just talking, find things to discuss that are outside our standard stuff. Also have to play by the rules my wife set forth -- no intimacy or contact as it makes her uncomfortable and she ends up wanting to run to him when she gets that uncomfortable.

Last week she went to talk with him about what the councilor had said about her leaving him. I had thought it was to cut him out of our life, but all she did was "prep" him for the possibilty. So according to her he will "do whatever she asks -- she just hasn't asked". Back to square one for us both -- which is being in limbo. She won't commit to him, won't commit to us, can't decide.

It seems forever since this all started, but it's really only been 6 weeks. I'm trying to be patient, keep my chin up, keep my anger from showing, keeping the pain from making me a head case, and hoping the counciling begins to take some effect. I'm also trying to fix all the little things that I know were my contribution to us growing apart -- like not spending hours in on-line gaming, but instead helping with housework, waiting on dinner till she gets home (she works evenings), spending time just talking / being together.

So far there aren't any signs she is thawing, but I see in forum post folks struggling for months or years. Is that pretty much expected?

Any advice? Seems like all I can do is continue on being here for me, my kids and her; continue with counciling, and work on re-establishing some sort of life of my own.

It is not an EA. Only one thing you can do. Throw her out and file D. You most take action. Why are you being a fool letting her be with another man.

Everything is defined by action. Take action. You can stop the D later but the longer she plays the game the worse it will be.

Expose her A to everyone. Do not play games, you will loose.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Get the book Not Just Friends, the book was written by a nationally recognized researcher into infidelity, Shirley Glass. The book is very detailed, soup-to-nuts, and contains a great deal of insight into how emotional affairs start, function, and end. A link to the google excerpts is in my signature--take a look at the table of contents, you'll quickly see why the book is so relevant to your situation.

also read these pages from Dr. Harley

Coping with Infidelity: The End (Part 2)

Do you know what your wife is doing? She is dating your potential replacement. She is doing it openly and in your face. Do you realize how disrespectful this is? This is not about your honor. This is about the fact that most women must respect a man in order to stay in love with him. Allowing her to date while still married is just about the biggest romantic love killer I can think of. It means you won't fight for her or the marriage, so she may as well...date your replacement.

Realize that her contact with him has become an infatuation--a very powerfully addictive emotional state. She won't quit on her own--ALMOST NO ONE IN HER SITUATION IS STRONG ENOUGH TO DO THAT. The reason is simple--infatuation is the start of every romantic relationship, and (I've said this a few times before) it's a biological, hormonal trick to perpetuate the species.

Only an outside force showing her that this is not in her best interest will get her to stop. In your situation, this--and brace yourself here--means filing for divorce. People get very upset at the mere thought of filing. But filing is NOT divorcing--many divorces never go through, and they can be delayed or withdrawn.

She has to live with the consequences of her choices.

Oh, and one last thing--research the OM. You never know what might turn up in terms of a criminal record, finances, marriages, etc.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
You need to straight up stop sharing your wife. Give her an ultimatum, you and the kids, or the piece of **** (use those exact words). Give her no time to dither, this has gone on for far too long. She has not had to choose, so she won't. That's no good for anybody. If she makes the wrong choice, then follow through starting right then. It may not be legal to throw her out of the house, but you can kick her out of the bedroom. Throw all of her stuff out of the room, and put an exterior lockset in the door. Separate your finances. Deactivate any joint credit cards. Give her harsh consequenses for stealing energy and effort from your family. Put a cost on those actions. Expose and put a cost to the OM for seeing your wife.

·
Banned
9,914 Posts
You also need to aggressively interfere with their meeting up. Either refuse to give her free time to meet him, or follow her when she does. If she goes into his house, then sit outside on the public street waiting for her to come out. If they go to a nice romantic restaurant , then go there too. C block the OM.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Also, you have a front row seat into why marriage counseling is a waste of time until your wife agrees to cease all contact with this man, permanently.

I should know--spent 6+ months and $$$ on counseling, all while my H was in an emotional affair.

Counseling doesn't shake people out of affairs.

First the affair must be ended because of consequences

Then withdrawal from the strong escapist / fantasy / infatuation qualities

Then they will start to see the light and counseling can have some positive effects.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
You also need to aggressively interfere with their meeting up. Either refuse to give her free time to meet him, or follow her when she does. If she goes into his house, then sit outside on the public street waiting for her to come out. If they go to a nice romantic restaurant , then go there too. C block the OM.
Yep--you have four kids. Who takes care of them while she's dating the OM?

Are you playing "babysitter?" Are you in any way picking up the slack at home because she's not fulfilling her share of what's generally required to take care of such a busy household?

If so, then you are enabling her activities.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Never wait to see what somebody else is going to do with you. You need to act in your own interest, decisively, and you need to act now. You need to consult an attorney to get your legal affairs in order and plan for the future. You need to move on with your children, regardless of what she does. You CANNOT control her, SHE will do what she does.....PERIOD. Once you have consulted with an attorney you need to establish your borders, she will either live with you inside them or she will live outside them by herself.

Playing second fiddle to some other fellow is not a good example for your children and extremely unhealthy for you. If you are not in shape, then come up with an exercise plan. This is very important, considering the stress you are under right now. Be honest and frank with her, don't avoid the issue, nor become overly emotional (as best you can). Let her know you will survive without her. She should understand that living with you is something to be cherished, not what you can provide, but you personally. DON'T let her disrespect you in this way, CARPE DIEM.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
If they are meeting up in person it's more than an EA. It's gone physical.

Just because she tells you that they are meeting in advance does'nt make it innocent.

That's a smokescreen.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Eh for lack of a better [email protected] and manup!

·
Banned
6,984 Posts

What the f*ck did I read?

Do you also realize the very likely possibility that they are having sex with one another ?

You are living in a one sided open marriage. Why not make it completely open ?

Start seeing someone else. Would she agree to that?

Easy to say 'tell her you'll leave" -- but quite a bit harder for me to do. We have four children, whom I cannot and will not walk away from. If she chooses to do so that is her choice.
You are mistaken if you think this is standing up for the family.

Let's say if a husband is physically abusing his wife, would she be breaking up the family if she files for divorce ?

Your logic is just as bad as that.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Definitely get rid of the counselor and definitely give your wife some ultimatums. And no, you don't leave. Never. She does. She is the one who is choosing another man over her family. Let her leave.

And as for doing more to keep your side of the marriage up, this is good but should have started a long time ago. There is nothing more lonely than being in a marriage, in a house, a home, on your own. With your partner doing what he likes when he likes, no help, no support, sitting on his ass while you do everything that needs doing. Like when you are at work and everyone is busy apart from that lazy ass who rides on everyone else's effort. Not good. This, for me, is a massive passion killer. And the love disappears. But now you are doing more (BTW do the things in the house with her. Not just you doing on your own and her on her own. Do them together) and it is totally unappreciated, because she is now looking outside the marriage instead of inside, you need to sit her down and ask her what she wants. Does she want you to go back to how you are? Continue making effort? If she likes the effort then she needs to make the effort too.

And you HAVE to tell her that you will no longer be with someone who wishes to be with someone else. It ends now. Be prepared to lose her (this has a 2 way effect. It means you will not cow tow to her demands that are unreasonable, you will be strong in your demands, it let's her know you mean business, and it makes her make her decision, i.e. stops the limbo). If she wants him, she leaves. If she wants you, she leaves him. Permanently.

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
What would you say to someone who was diagnosed with cancer but refused radiation or chemotherapy?

Yeah radiation and chemo have side effects but the end result can often save a life ESPECIALLY if caught early.

You are jeopardizing your family - the very thing you don't want to lose by not applying the right " therapy".

Save your money on MC - it just gives her affair the air of legitimacy. And unless the OM joins you in MC there's no point in counseling - he IS a part of your marriage (a) because she wants him to be & (b) because you allow it.

Tell her that she can do what she wants AND SO CAN YOU!

So the next time she tells you she's going to "see" him you WILL pack her krap in grarbage bags and drop them off at his doorstep. Tell her to expect that - and mean every word. See a lawyer about your rights.

Think of it as radiation rx.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.