Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is kind of minor I guess, but it's been bugging me off and on for years. My husband doesn't walk next to me when we're out. He used to do this way back when we were dating, and finally after I begged and begged, and just didn't let go of his hand, it stopped.

Now we have 2 kids, the younger of whom is 4. She's a slow walker, I'll grant that. But, she's 4. She has tiny little legs. And he WILL NOT WALK WITH US. Every time we go somewhere, he walks 10-15 feet ahead of us. I ask him to please stay close. He does for a minute, then he's ahead again. It seems minor, but to me, walking together is just what you do when you're with your family. Also, I don't like the message it sends our kids, which I see as a message of not being together as one unit.

My past posts have also been about his seemingly total inability to do even minor things for me, so I can't help but put this in that category, making it seem like an even bigger issue (you know how that is... all of a sudden it's not just about walking, but about every time he hasn't made an effort for me). I'm trying to not do that though--not make minor things into big things.

Do I just need to let this go? Do some people just like to walk by themselves and it's not a big deal?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Do I just need to let this go? Do some people just like to walk by themselves and it's not a big deal?
Well yes, but this seems like a big deal to you so ask him to hold hands with you. Don't nag, don't use an annoyed tone, if he forgets, just ask him again, as many times as it takes. Tell him how much you like holding hands. Tell him how good it makes you feel to have a guy like him beside you.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I get this as well. My wife is 5'3". I'm close to 6'1". It feels like I'm shuffling if I maintain her pace. It's not that I don't want to , it's that it is hard to.

Reactions: moxy and KanDo

·
Registered
6,872 Posts
He is probably impatient about having to slow down so much.

For me I do the same with my 5 year old son - except I see it not so much as me walking 10-15 ft ahead of him, but him walking 10-15ft behind me. He has no problem keeping up, even with his little legs (because he has boundless energy), it's just he's always way behind.

If I slow down he does too, so I walk fast in order to get where we are going before his bed time.

Your H is probably doing the same thing, when he keeps pace with you and your D you both probably slow down even more, even if you are unaware you are doing it. Maybe try walking faster and I bet you will find him at your side.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thanks for the perspective. I know she's slow, but I want to hold her hand because we're always on sidewalks.

I'll give it a few days to adjust my attitude before I ask him to hold my hand, or else he's going to see right through that... I am totally unable to hide it when I'm being affectionate to get what I want. Lol.

·
Banned
484 Posts
I'm sorry, but all I can think of this situation is YUCK!

What MAN leaves his baby girl and wife behind while he walks 10-15 feeat ahead of you two? Did all gentelman and their manners just pick up and leave at some point? I'm assuming he also doesn't mind you carrying heavy things, going out into the dark alone, won't get this or that for you etc? I dated a guy just like that

Chivalry has died. It seems I've got the last of a dying breed.

Talk to him... I think this whole "women are just men without d*cks" thing has just really gotten to a lot of guys. So he probably doesn't think about the message he's sending to your daughter when he walks wayy ahead of her instead of walking WITH her. Women want (need) to feel safe and secure with their man, how safe can you feel walking down the street with your husband when he's walking 15 feet ahead of you?

The next time he does that, stop and walk back to wherever you were coming from, or just stand their. Hopefully (if he cares) he'll recognize that and ask why and you can tell him that you just don't feel comfortable when he walks so quickly and leaves you behind.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I see this as a cultural thing when I'm out & about in my very diverse community - men walking ahead of women. Is this common in your culture?

My ex used to do that (not cultural) just impatient with slower-pace walkers & I couldn't stand it.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I'm sorry, but all I can think of this situation is YUCK!

What MAN leaves his baby girl and wife behind while he walks 10-15 feeat ahead of you two? Did all gentelman and their manners just pick up and leave at some point? I'm assuming he also doesn't mind you carrying heavy things, going out into the dark alone, won't get this or that for you etc? I dated a guy just like that

Chivalry has died. It seems I've got the last of a dying breed.

Talk to him... I think this whole "women are just men without d*cks" thing has just really gotten to a lot of guys. So he probably doesn't think about the message he's sending to your daughter when he walks wayy ahead of her instead of walking WITH her. Women want (need) to feel safe and secure with their man, how safe can you feel walking down the street with your husband when he's walking 15 feet ahead of you?

The next time he does that, stop and walk back to wherever you were coming from, or just stand their. Hopefully (if he cares) he'll recognize that and ask why and you can tell him that you just don't feel comfortable when he walks so quickly and leaves you behind.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well it gets beat into us. Chivalry has been turned around. Open a door? You are a sexist pig. Offer to help with something heavy? You are a chauvinist a$$. Not saying that's how my wife thinks but that is what society is telling young men today.

Reactions: alte Dame

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
This almost sounds like you are digging to find something to complain about. I am over 6 feet and my love is just over 5 feet. If I am walking normally I will definitely outpace her. Holding hands seems the easiest solution(and getting a little thicker skin to realize that this is unlikley to be an affront to you. This could easily be him posting "why wont she walk next to me?)

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Well it gets beat into us. Chivalry has been turned around. Open a door? You are a sexist pig. Offer to help with something heavy? You are a chauvinist a$$. Not saying that's how my wife thinks but that is what society is telling young men today.
That is not true in my experience. Maybe you are holding yourself wrong. Do you hold a door open so you can check out a girls ass as they walk past or do you do it to help someone out?

Reactions: Anonymous07

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
That is not true in my experience. Maybe you are holding yourself wrong. Do you hold a door open so you can check out a girls ass as they walk past or do you do it to help someone out?
I'm talking in the PC workplace.

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
While I don't think that holding hands is necessary, it is romantic and helps build a bond of intimacy between a couple (one of the things I loved about my stbxh is that right up until we separated, we always held hands while out walking, even sometimes while driving or carrying groceries, and he initiated it) when the walking pace is more leisurely and less purposeful (ie, not when running or carrying heavy things or handling kids) and it reinforces a sense of unity or connection.

It isn't offensive to not hold hands. It is sometimes just practical and it depends on the level of PDA with which a couple is comfortable. However, to walk that far ahead of one's companion without purpose is inconsiderate and rude. If you're out in public with someone, be *with* that person. I get upset, even with friends or relatives, who will walk ahead or straggle behind as if they are not really with me even when they don't do it intentionally because I find it disrespectful. I don't make a scene, but I don't accept social invitations often with people like that because the disrespect and lack of consideration and peer-respect bleeds over into other aspects of interaction, too. In a partner, something like this would be a thing that I would object to and talk about in a meaningful way. A friend of mine once dumped a boyfriend because he used to do just this thing -- walk ahead of her and expect her to follow, rather than walk beside her. It's symbolic of your connection. Walking together shows that your spouse does want to be with you and is happy to show it to the world and maybe even enjoys your company to that of others or of the environment. Walking apart means your partner is anxious to be off on his own. However, not everyone understands that -- and not everyone feels that way. I'm guessing maybe some of that resonates with you.

Do you guys have enough alone time each? It's possible that he feels a little smothered and not independent and this is just a way for him to feel like an individual.

It's possible, too that he just doesn't see the significance for you. Maybe he's just clueless and doesn't get it. I think you should let him now how seriously it upsets you. Just say, "when you walk ahead of me rather than with me or beside me and just expect me to follow, I feel disrespected. If I continue to feel disrespected, I might re-consider whether or not this relationship is worthwhile for me. I'd like you to pay attention to how you treat me in public -- and while we are at it, let's look at how balanced the power dynamics in our relationship are, given that something this important to me is just brushed off my you." And, at least you guys can bring up a conversation about respect and consideration in marriage and how you guys can build a stronger sense of both in yours.

I also think that there's nothing wrong with a couple splitting and doing separate things in a public space and then coming back together. The fact that it bothers you means there's either not enough intimate connection and you're craving more, or not enough of a sense of mutual respect that this is triggering, or too much quality-less couple-time and too little individual time at home that is causing this. Try talking about codependence vs independence, too, to see what's going on.

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
Hmm....something I didn't think of: Is your husband a lot taller than you? If so, it might just be about comfort of stride and nothing personal. My stbxh and I were not massively disparate in height, so the stride was not a huge issue, though I did walk faster and he walked slower to manage it. If you and your husband have a significant height difference, maybe it has nothing to do with consideration or respect and just to do with practicality.

However, you seem to feel like he isn't making enough of an effort with you in general, so you should bring that up...and lead into the general lack of connection you feel by starting with this relatively minor issue.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
I walk at a normal pace and my damn wife just won't stay with me. She's always 10-15 feet behind. I know it's a little thing but should she walk with me? She uses our son as an excuse to keep her distance rather than making him learn to walk at a normal pace.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Maybe I'm weird but I find it unusual too. I just thought it was natural to walk as a family and one not go far ahead of another.

Walking that far ahead might would make me feel like he was embarrassed of me and didn't want people to know we were together. Especially if it was every time we were out in public. I am 5'4 and my husband is 6'2. This has never been an issue.

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
1) I like to walk with my wife. I like to hold her hand. I like her hand in my back pocket. All of that.

2) This said, if we are not holding hands I naturally want to walk with fully strides. Frankly when we go to the mega mall together, I am cramping up big time because I am tight from taking tinier steps.

So what do I do ... I hold her hand and walk with her. It's a choice.

In no way do I think I am typical. I would prefer a faster pace but indeed I am there to be with her after all. When I shop I am on a mission. I know what I am looking for, I find it and buy it and leave.

Walking on the beach? This is my favorite for a lot of reasons. We get in the hand holding. Steal some hugs and kisses. Play in the water AND I get to do some running around in the surf and the sane so I don't cramp up.

Walking in SF was good because of the hills.

When I go out to walk for exercise, my wife sometimes comes along. She rides her bike.

So you guys need to sit down and discuss this. That you have a need for him to walk with you at least some of the time. I think you would like to be seen in public as a couple. You feel alone when he does not walk with you. You want quality time together. Maybe you want to actually speak with him as well. You need this kind of intimacy. He may not. This indeed may be another His Needs Her Needs opportunity.

Reactions: moxy

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
I'm thinking it takes two to walk next to each other. He's not walking next to you? You're not walking next to him. Just sounds like you're looking for an issue.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.