Talk About Marriage banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
Pre-marriage
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It would be best if we are taught how to go about marriage in high school. We go thru basically the same things over and over in marriages. We should be able figure out the solutions to those problems or troubleshoot them to not even happening (which would be best). Divorce hurts so bad and we do not even realize it. When are we going to make a change. When family splits it creates:
  • Double expenses;
  • Double work demands;
  • Takes away time to work on:
  • The mate partner relationship
  • Teaching the kids
  • Focusing and making the steps to have business so we become financially independent
  • It ruins relationships with mate partners and their families;
  • Causes kids to go crazy (bad);
  • Causes lost time that you can’t get back;
  • Creates repeat patterns in our descendants;

·
Premium Member
12,089 Posts
There's a lot of practical stuff they ought to teach in high school. They should just have one course that covers all of it. Everyone male or female should learn some basic household repair skills and learn about money and the hazards of credit. They should be told the truth about that they're going to work real hard for not that much money which is something you'll never get a school to say.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
High school isn't for that kind of class. How about we teach the basics of Reading, Writing, Math, Science, maybe history. Add financial literacy.

But what would you teach in this marriage class because there are many different versions of successful marriages and many versions of failed marriages.

I guarantee you wouldn't get a small handful of people to agree on what a marriage class should teach unless they were all the same gender and had the same narrow vision.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Life skills would probably be useful. How to cook yourself a basic, inexpensive meal, how to file taxes, how to change a tire etc..

One thing I have found myself wishing is that more was taught to people about how to deal with romantic rejection, how to ask someone out, how to be respectful etc. It is pretty standard these days to get pictures of a guy's junk if you're uninterested, and politely refuse a date, plus insults. I'm sure there is probably a female version of this behavior that is obnoxious too. So maybe just, how to act kindly towards other people in general. Not even sure what that class would look like. Group therapy maybe? It would be interesting to see if it had an effect I guess.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
It would be best if we are taught how to go about marriage in high school. We go thru basically the same things over and over in marriages. We should be able figure out the solutions to those problems or troubleshoot them to not even happening (which would be best). Divorce hurts so bad and we do not even realize it. When are we going to make a change. When family splits it creates:
  • Double expenses;
  • Double work demands;
  • Takes away time to work on:
  • The mate partner relationship
  • Teaching the kids
  • Focusing and making the steps to have business so we become financially independent
  • It ruins relationships with mate partners and their families;
  • Causes kids to go crazy (bad);
  • Causes lost time that you can’t get back;
  • Creates repeat patterns in our descendants;
They can teach somethings, but when our culture teaches the supremacy of self, how much will really be remembered when it come to the wedding vows?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I want the schools to teach rigorous reading, writing, math, analytical thinking, history, biology, chemistry, and physics.

I even get perturbed when people complain how they don’t teach how to do taxes in school. When I had my first job I got a W2 and my dad said “go down to the library and pick up a 1040 and do it yourself”. Guess what, it was easy because my education taught me actual thinking and not just rote recall and I wasn’t an idiot.

·
Registered
125 Posts
No way I want schools teaching my kids anything like this. This stuff is to be learned by actually going through life. If my school spent as much time teaching as they did on testing we might actually get somewhere. Got to test beginning of year to see where you are, then test mid year to see where you are and then again at end to see where you are. And don’t even get me started on the state mandated STAR testing. Kids take all kinds of practice test to get ready for this one test. I don’t see where they have time to actually learn, especially in the younger grades (elementary age).

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I want the schools to teach rigorous reading, writing, math, analytical thinking, history, biology, chemistry, and physics.

I even get perturbed when people complain how they don’t teach how to do taxes in school. When I had my first job I got a W2 and my dad said “go down to the library and pick up a 1040 and do it yourself”. Guess what, it was easy because my education taught me actual thinking and not just rote recall and I wasn’t an idiot.
I hear what you're saying, but a lot of folks fill out those forms incorrectly. Whether you do it yourself or not, a lot of people need some basic education on financial health in high school, myself included, and I would consider myself well-educated.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
I hear what you're saying, but a lot of folks fill out those forms incorrectly. Whether you do it yourself or not, a lot of people need some basic education on financial health in high school, myself included, and I would consider myself well-educated.
I think a financial course that gives one the basic skills to stay out of debt should be a pre-requisite.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts