Talk About Marriage banner

121 - 125 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
@Livvie but she has and IS contributing financially. I’m surprised, I wouldn’t think you’d stay with a man like this? But that’s ok I can respect your view.
She's "contributing" by "working" for 6 years, not earning any money, and using savings. I can't imagine having kids that age and not contributing financially by actually working a job that earns some money for the family.

I am mother to 2, I was actually a SAHM for a decade, during which time I did everything related to keeping the home running -- all the cooking, grocery shopping and meal planning, cleaning, finances, appointments, kid stuff, car maintenance, etc. etc. That was my job, and I contributed just as much time and energy as my husband.

And THEN, once my kids were in school the full day, guess what, I went back to work full time. Earning a salary ----not day trading, not earning nothing, and using savings as my "contribution", like this OP's wife.

Of course I would stay with a man like the OP, who would like a partner who works a job that earns income, because I'm not an entitled woman who believes she doesn't have to work at a job that actually EARNS MONEY.

All of the other SAHMs I knew when I was one went back to work once their kids were in first or second grade, too. All of them!!! Well, one one works part time because she has MS.

So yeah....

·
Registered
63 Posts
The pouty little boy is the guy who just sits there and does nothing but complain about it.

If you end up with a woman who's financially incompetent you really only have two choices. Either accept the fact you're the only financially responsible person in the relationship, find a way to cope with it, or tell her to get a job or you're outta there. And follow through if needed.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Well, I wouldn't worry about it. You've banished her to the basement so basically your marriage is over. Think you're going to be a hot commodity on the open market? Think again.
Beg to differ, as long as he doesn't pull that banishment action again. A guy who makes a good living and is kid-friendly will get attention as long as he has decent personality and looks.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I'm a traditional man which places me on the opposite end of the spectrum from the OP.

I'm probably pretty far away from you as well.

I raised my sons to be the primary provider regardless of the financial status of their wives.

I did read some of your examples and it seems like the men were almost subservient to and just there to facilitate the lifestyle of their wives.

I'm definitely not advocating that scenario but I'm not getting the feeling that is happening here.
I don't think you're too different than me. I was raised in a traditional home until my mother passed on. My mother and father, in turn, grew up in traditional households as well. Sometimes financial need dictated that both work, but that didn't change what was desired. We value that lifestyle.

But we also value the concept that the woman should work just as hard as the man, even if in a different capacity. I don't think that's happening here. As someone said, she's trying to figure out how to not work full time and the OP is upset. Well, the flip side of that is how can she feel good about seeing him work so hard and not taking it on herself to ease his burden.

I am willing to do (and have done) the heavy lifting in the relationships I've had - just the way I'm built. But I wouldn't do it for someone who actually aimed to reduce her workload and was fine seeing me bust my butt. That's not a partnership.

121 - 125 of 125 Posts