Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Marriage today is a monestised business that benefits women and government while, costing men a fortune because they signed a Legal Contract that allows their partner (female) to extract 50% of their current and potentially future assets (pension, stocks, etc.,) because they no longer want to be in the marriage for whatever reasons with No Fault Divorce.

So, with the obvious financial risk and classical False accusations of child-molestation and/or Domestic Violence allegations when divorce is in the process then, why do men continue to volunteer to forfeit everything they've worked for despite the obvious judicial bias against them within the Family Court (why do men foolishly pursue Marriage)?

Thx,
vej36

·
Registered
16,580 Posts
Marriage today is a monestised business that benefits women and government while, costing men a fortune because they signed a Legal Contract that allows their partner (female) to extract 50% of their current and potentially future assets (pension, stocks, etc.,) because they no longer want to be in the marriage for whatever reasons with No Fault Divorce.

So, with the obvious financial risk and classical False accusations of child-molestation and/or Domestic Violence allegations when divorce is in the process then, why do men continue to volunteer to forfeit everything they've worked for despite the obvious judicial bias against them within the Family Court (why do men foolishly pursue Marriage)?

Thx,
vej36
Given your premise, it makes a hell of a lot of sense!

Hell! “Friends with benefits” would probably be a hell of a lot more apropos!

But regardless of whether you’re married either traditionally or by precepts of common law, FWB, single, or just living together, the male will almost always be held accountable for the support of any child borne into the relationship! And in some jurisdictions, it matters not whether the child is sired by him or some other “Stage Door Johnny” who just might happen to be fooling around with the resident old lady during the course of their relationship!

Notwithstanding, from a legal perspective he could probably insulate himself from savings and financial plans, either by not living in a state that adheres to and duly recognizes common law marriage; or by exercising a valid and legally binding prenuptial agreement excluding her from any of those aforementioned financial plans!

·
Premium Member
15,984 Posts
Because..

Men have the leather folded-over purse with green ones inside, being folded over once or twice. Not of real value.

Women have the silk purse. Folded over, not. Holding warmth and promise. Holding all the wealth that men value.
Value in one small slip, berth, port in life's storm.

This is her bargaining chip.
Your greatest gambit.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts

Thx,
vej36
Assuming you marry someone who is on par with your earnings and assets, YOU also get half of HER current and future earnings if a long term marriage ends. So no problem there...unless a man deliberately chose to marry someone he agreed should not work or who he volunteered to support.

Classical false accusations only occur with a very very bad choice of a spouse.

I'm not seeing how the institution of marriage is the problem, but rather that men sometimes don't enjoy the consequences of their choices in the event of a divorce (ie he chose to be in a long term marriage with a high disparity in income and assets or with someone of low moral character).

·
Banned
347 Posts
Because people are ignorant, stupid, and think that they are better than anyone else, it's the mentality of "I know better and it won't happen to me".

Until of course it does.

Note: It's not only men who get shafted in a divorce, it happens to whoever goes into it with the money and assets.

The one with the money and assets is the fool to get married, they've got everything to lose and nothing to win, and the opposite can be said for the partner who goes into it with nothing.

·
Registered
16,580 Posts
Because people are ignorant, stupid, and think that they are better than anyone else, it's the mentality of "I know better and it won't happen to me".

Until of course it does.

Note: It's not only men who get shafted in a divorce, it happens to whoever goes into it with the money and assets.

The one with the money and assets is the fool to get married, they've got everything to lose and nothing to win, and the opposite can be said for the partner who goes into it with nothing.
The exception being my RSXW, who by virtue of her prenup that preserved her millions, and at the very same time, “legally” made off with most of my meager assets!

Moral of this story: Please thoroughly read the prenup that you are signing!

·
Banned
347 Posts
The exception being my RSXW, who by virtue of her prenup that preserved her millions, at the same time “legally” made off with most of my meager assets!

Moral of this story: Please thoroughly read the prenup that you are signing!
Getting married is foolish, getting married with a prenup is like "getting married with a contingency because you know there's a good chance of failure".

Why bother?

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Assuming you marry someone who is on par with your earnings and assets, YOU also get half of HER current and future earnings if a long term marriage ends. So no problem there...unless a man deliberately chose to marry someone he agreed should not work or who he volunteered to support.

Classical false accusations only occur with a very very bad choice of a spouse.

I'm not seeing how the institution of marriage is the problem, but rather that men sometimes don't enjoy the consequences of their choices in the event of a divorce (ie he chose to be in a long term marriage with a high disparity in income and assets or with someone of low moral character).
Exactly! The solution to the problem of men "getting screwed" in a divorce seems to be for men to only marry women who make a comparable salary and have comparable assets.

Beyond that, men need to educate themselves on the laws in their state. For example, in MI lifetime alimony kicks in at 19 years and 1 day of marriage. So, staying married until the kid(s) are 18 or graduate from college is clearly a bad move unless you're ok with paying alimony til your ex dies or remarries. Premarital assets and individual inheritance aren't subject to division in divorce unless the individual assets or inheritance have been mingled with marital assets, so men need to know what constitutes asset mingling and avoid that if they want to protect those assets. That kind of thing.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Because there are plenty of awesome women out there that are well worth the commitment of marriage, and morally would never take advantage of another person.

Not every woman is looking for marriage because we want someone else’s assets.

If you are a man that doesn’t want to get married, don’t. No need to fault those who choose this form of commitment, IMO.

·
Registered
16,580 Posts
Getting married is foolish, getting married with a prenup is like "getting married with a contingency because you know there's a good chance of failure".

Why bother?
Precisely!

Otherwise, there would be absolutely no fear whatsoever of going into an equally-yoked partnership that a good marriage dictates!

·
Banned
347 Posts
Because there are plenty of awesome women out there that are well worth the commitment of marriage, and morally would never take advantage of another person.
Few and far between. Even if they seem to be that way, even if they "think" they'd never take advantage of their guy if things go south, when they DO go south the first time they meet with a divorce attorney, the world "morality" is replaced with "monitarily".

Not every woman is looking for marriage because we want someone else’s assets.
For some women, that's the only reason they get married.
For other women, it's not THE reason but once they get a taste for it, they don't want to give it up, so when things go south in the marriage, which they do more often than not, they take advantage of the other person because, hey we all got bills to pay and standards of living to maintain.

If you are a man that doesn’t want to get married, don’t. No need to fault those who choose this form of commitment, IMO.
Marriage has been proven to be a failure and divorce is top of the list of causes of the highest level of grief that a person may experience in their lifetime and has cost countless people, mostly men, a good chunk of their life savings and their income for many years if not permanently. A couple who decides to get married is not getting anything of value except maybe a tax write-off, and the monied partner, usually the guy, is inheriting a boatload of risk with no benefit - which has about a 55% chance of happening (based on current divorce statistics). When I see a guy about to get married, I not only fault him but I shake my head at his stupidity and his arrogance (thinking that it won't happen to him because somehow he's better than all the other guys who failed before him).

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
My wife is a professional and a hard worker. I would not marry someone who I would have to support. If we divorced, assets would be divided fairly equally. I think child care would also be 50/50. Divorce is only bad when you choose poorly.

However, given the state of marriage these days, if I had son's, I would recommend they not marry. Or, if they did marry, they should keep separate finances and marry someone who will work.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Seems fair to me. I've worked my whole life. My wife has worked her whole life. If we got divorced we would split our common money. It turns out I've earned more than her, but she inherited a bunch of money. Works out around even.

I don't think marriage is the problem. I think the problem is when people are in an unbalanced or unfair marriage.

·
Registered
16,580 Posts
Few and far between. Even if they seem to be that way, even if they "think" they'd never take advantage of their guy if things go south, when they DO go south the first time they meet with a divorce attorney, the world "morality" is replaced with "monitarily".

For some women, that's the only reason they get married.
For other women, it's not THE reason but once they get a taste for it, they don't want to give it up, so when things go south in the marriage, which they do more often than not, they take advantage of the other person because, hey we all got bills to pay and standards of living to maintain.

Marriage has been proven to be a failure and divorce is top of the list of causes of the highest level of grief that a person may experience in their lifetime and has cost countless people, mostly men, a good chunk of their life savings and their income for many years if not permanently. A couple who decides to get married is not getting anything of value except maybe a tax write-off, and the monied partner, usually the guy, is inheriting a boatload of risk with no benefit - which has about a 55% chance of happening (based on current divorce statistics). When I see a guy about to get married, I not only fault him but I shake my head at his stupidity and his arrogance (thinking that it won't happen to him because somehow he's better than all the other guys who failed before him).
After having been twofold-jilted in as many marriages, just the mere thought of marriage itself, much less of entering into a trusting relationship, scares the literal hell out of me!

In God lies my trust! All others have to prove themselves!

And then some!

·
Banned
347 Posts
if I had son's, I would recommend they not marry. Or, if they did marry, they should keep separate finances and marry someone who will work.
You could, but they wouldn't listen to you. When do adult children EVER listen to their parents when it comes to important matters such as this?

·
Registered
16,580 Posts
Exactly! The solution to the problem of men "getting screwed" in a divorce seems to be for men to only marry women who make a comparable salary and have comparable assets.

Beyond that, men need to educate themselves on the laws in their state. For example, in MI lifetime alimony kicks in at 19 years and 1 day of marriage. So, staying married until the kid(s) are 18 or graduate from college is clearly a bad move unless you're ok with paying alimony til your ex dies or remarries. Premarital assets and individual inheritance aren't subject to division in divorce unless the individual assets or inheritance have been mingled with marital assets, so men need to know what constitutes asset mingling and avoid that if they want to protect those assets. That kind of thing.
So therein lies my dilemma in finding a woman to love and trust! Under that premise, I really need to be looking for women, who much like me, “don’t have a pot to pi$$ in, nor a window to throw it out of!”

Smacks a tad like classism/elitism to me!

·
Registered
575 Posts

Why bother?
I disagree. If either my wife or I passed away and the survivor ever remarried, it would be with a pre-nup to protect our assets and our children's inheritance. It would be foolish to do otherwise. We didn't need a pre-nup when we married each other because we were poor, not rich.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.