Talk About Marriage banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
And of course I know what the answer is. We all know what the answer is, it’s just sound it consistently.
I had been asking myself this just the other week..!

Bad habits increasing during lock-down, in terms of eating and lifestyle, knowing what I need to do - but why am I not doing it? So then, motivation hit...that I needed to really change things up. Like you, I wasn't eating enough during the day and not great choices if I did (although not junk food), and then leading to being really hungry in the evening and then not great choices as a result of that. While I've only just started switching up my mindset, so early days yet, for me it's in really noting what my motivation is and why. And then considering the psychological aspects of the bad habits - in order to do the opposite.

Small changes I've implemented so far - having the right food on hand. Berries and apples for example as a mid-morning snack. Even if I need to jump on a zoom meeting around that time, I will snack on them instead of just waiting and skipping that meal. Foods on hand, for me is the key, along with the motivation and mindset to change. Boiled eggs, salads I can easily put together, vegetables and protein. It could even be having tuna with veggies that are microwaved while you're at work. Take a couple of carrots and boiled eggs with you - and that's quick prep during your 30mins lunch. Dinner could be wrapping salmon in foil into the oven for 15 mins and just adding some veggies as a side. Basically as others have suggested though, preparing the food. Or even, in my case, just having it on hand and preparing on the go.

I'm currently cutting out caffeine and alcohol and eating protein with every meal (which is filling), then snacking on berries, yoghurt, veggies in between. In a short period of time eating this way, I've dropped 7lbs. I'm average in size, but my clothes were getting snug and I wasn't feeling as good as I know I can. The other night, I was craving red wine and popcorn while we watched a show. I mentally reminded myself it was just a habit I'd gotten into and asked myself if that choice would get me to where I wanted to be (the clothes fitting looser again). Which meant I didn't succumb to the craving. I don't count calories, I'm just eating 'clean' foods at home and cutting out sugar/caffeine/alcohol for the most part. For me, it was a 'go hard or go home' shake up, and internalizing this as a reset on lifestyle choices. For you, it could be preparing yourself on a non-work day, ready for taking foods to work with you and knowing what you're having for dinner that night.

Years ago I was weight-training at a gym where they trained bodybuilders. While that's not why I was going personally, there was a woman who was a nurse and competing (and won). I was amazed how she did it and with the prep involved with food and her shifts. It came down to discipline and knowing what was driving her to keep with it.

Know what your motivation is. Know what habits you need to change. Then action.

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
Oh and... telling yourself you can do this. And I know YOU can do this. If you really want to.

·
Super Moderator
11,880 Posts
Sort of along the same lines... something similar worked for me to quit smoking, drinking, and when I need to be disciplined about my diet for training.

Tell yourself, "No". I know...it sounds stupid...and simple...like it would never work.

But when I start to hearing that internal debate start, something like, "You could have one and it wouldn't hurt...", I simply think of a hard "No". If I am really struggling, I will actually say it out loud.

No smokes since 2001...not a drink since 2014...so it has been rather effective for me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: heartsbeating

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
One more thought... as far as motivation, I have printed out a couple of photos of myself dressed for black-tie functions in the past. I maintained that size and weight most of my adult life but I've not fit into those dresses for some time. So while I'm working on current clothes fitting looser, I also have the bigger goal of fitting those dresses again. A friend is hoping to have a celebration in 6 months, and any one of those dresses would be perfect for it. So I'm basically mentally motivating myself with images of myself... not that I'm 'all that' haha ...but what I mean is, I'm not looking to images of fitness models and alike for motivation. I'm looking to myself and knowing that I used to maintain that size and choices in a way that was conducive to my personality and lifestyle. Therefore, I know a reset in habits this way is achievable for me - as I've lived most of my life that way.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I procrastinate until 4 laundry baskets are overflowing with dirty clothes and then I do laundry. Why do I do that to myself? I don't know!!!! :cry:
I have the opposite problem, when work is really busy I find I have fresh washing all over the place. Almost like living out of a suitcase... inside your own home

21 - 26 of 26 Posts