Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another thread had me reflecting, and I'm curious TAM... what were your experiences with starting to become conscious of beauty routines, wear makeup, certain clothes and such?

I started wearing makeup around aged 13. Mostly unflattering green or blue eye-shadow, mascara, maybe blush, and lipstick. My peers weren't wearing makeup and I don't recall why I started experimenting. My mother is the opposite and doesn't wear makeup. I was called to the principal office for wearing lipstick. She explained it was too bold to be worn at school, yet also asked the brand as she wanted to get one.

When I wanted to shave my legs, my mother didn't feel I needed to and claimed the hair would grow back stronger and advised me to wait. I accepted this, until a boy I crushed on commented on my hairy legs. That night I went home and figured out how to use my brother's razor. Told my mother afterwards that I had shaved my legs. Same boy noticed the smoothness of my legs a few days later.

Around 16, I wanted to shape my eyebrows. My mother didn't think I ought to touch them, but agreed to take me to a beautician to wax them. And then tried it herself for the first time. By then, makeup application had improved, and I'd stopped doing crazy things with my hair; opting for a stylish cut instead. The clothing choices on the other-hand... another matter.

Anyway, I'm curious about your experiences!

Reactions: TXTrini

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
I told my story about first wearing makeup in the other thread. After that, I didn't apply any unless I was going out with older sisters. I just never really had any desire to alter my looks much after her father's "clowns" comment LOL. As a young adult, I only wore blue mascara. Was crazy about that stuff. In my 30s, I began to only wear lipstick, so now still I only wear lipstick that matches the color clothes I'm wearing.

My best friend wore makeup like nobody's business. She was one of those types who never walked out of her house without being fully made up. Her 3 sisters were the same way, so I guess it's what they were taught. I always hated the idea that women were taught they had to wear foundation, and she herself had the most beautiful complexion. So I would complain to her that she's hiding her beautiful skin and didn't need that stuff. When she passed away in 2001, I told the funeral director "Don't you touch her, I'm coming to do her hair and makeup." As I did them, I teased her in kind of a singsong voice "Ah hah, I get the last word" and didn't put any foundation on her skin, just mascara, a little bit of rouge, and her favorite lipstick, which I didn't apply as heavily as she normally did. At her funeral, everybody remarked at how beautiful she was because she was. She was a stunning natural beauty.

As a teenager, I wanted to wear all the designer clothes like everybody else until one day, one of my older sisters bought a pair of silk Calvin Klein slacks. My mom made her take them back because, "For the price you paid for these, they should be lined and the stitching should be better than this. Now take these back and bring home some $200 dollar pants that are worth $200. You don't just buy clothes for the label. You purchase for quality." I was never interested in designer labels after that.

·
Registered
8,721 Posts
I didn't bother with make up till about 16 and apart from in my late teens when I wore maybe eye shadow and a bit of lipstick, I have never worn it much over my life, mostly just for special occasions. I cant remember the last time I wore it, years and years ago, my husband isnt bothered and I dont really want to put chemicals on my skin daily and have to rub them off at night. I also sort of don't see the point. I only want to look good for my husband and he really doesn't worry that I dont wear it. Not many of my friends wear it, and the few who do only wear very little. Same with my daughters and DIL.
My lovely mum rarely wore it, nor did her 4 sisters and neices, and they all had/have fantastic skin. I have several cousins in their late 60's and ealy 70's and they have barely a wrinkle and at age 64 nor do I. The least I can mess about with my face the better as far as I am concerned.

Designer clothers dont interest me,why pay 10 times as much for the same thing?

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
I'm waiting till I get a little older.
😉

It still freaks me out a bit, when time to time pre covid we'd sporadically see male teens wearing makeup at the mall. If one isn't a performer, well, makeup isn't the most manly thing imho.

Mostly about 10 yrs or so ago when the whole metro-sexual thing gained popularity in high schools. It's faded now.

Sorry for the side track. But hey equal rights and all that.

·
Registered
8,721 Posts
😉

It still freaks me out a bit, when time to time pre covid we'd sporadically see male teens wearing makeup at the mall. If one isn't a performer, well, makeup isn't the most manly thing imho.

Mostly about 10 yrs or so ago when the whole metro-sexual thing gained popularity in high schools. It's faded now.

Cant bear seeing guys with make up.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
😉

I went through a teenage phase of wearing eyeliner. I also had blue hair (which is wavy/curly and I'd straighten it every morning), I wore girls skinny jeans, and I had my nipples pierced... I tried to delete all the evidence of that but my wife probably has pictures hidden somewhere :LOL:

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
I started wearing a little powder, brown mascara and lipstick during high school, so probably around age 15 or so. I stopped wearing makeup entirely, except for special occasions, in college and continued that until about 6-7 years ago. I now, at age 44, wear a very lightweight powder foundation, a warm taupe eyeshadow, mascara, a little blush, and lip stain (so it won't transfer to my mask) daily for work in a professional office setting. It's a natural look with a bit more polish than I'm able to achieve going entirely bare faced. I also wear brighter, slightly more complex, makeup for dates and special occasions.

I've been shaving my legs since I was around 14. The reality is that my leg hair is sparse, blond, and baby fine. It's nearly invisible even if I don't shave, so I worry about it less and less as I'm aging. And my fella really doesn't care one way or another.

·
Premium Member
8,079 Posts
I think it was around seventh grade so 12 or 13 (in a much different time and place than today). No one wore makeup before that age. My mother was likely horrified by the heavy blue eyeshadow I wore at some point in those early years — I certainly am horrified looking back — but I don’t recall that she commented or if she did I ignored her. I thought I looked great. I didn’t.

I never asked permission when it came to makeup and was never told I couldn’t. Shaving my legs was the real battle. My mother did have a strong opinion on that and it wasn’t meant to begin at 12 or 13 so I did that behind her back. As to makeup, other than my blue eyeshadow period, I never wore much and still don’t. But I have pale hair, pale skin and pale eyes so I basically disappear — especially in photos — if I don’t at least wear lipstick and that has turned out to be the one thing I’m never without. I have a box packed with different shades of lipstick but I wear neutrals for every day.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I had so much fun as a teenager exploring and pushing limits! Lol!

I started using makeup around 11. I never liked anything wild, no blue or green eye shadow for me. I've always used brown tones. I remember having my brown eye shadow, black eyeliner, and a pinkish-brownish lipstick in the shape of a penis! Lol! It was my favorite shade of lipstick.

I'm a 90's girl so I wore too much black eyeliner. One of my idols is Dolores O'Riordan (The Cranberries) so I had to mimic her makeup. Years later one of my male friends said I had fish eyes back then! Lol!!

I shaved my legs around 12-13? But I only shaved from the knees down. I haven't shaved the rest of my legs and I barely have any hair. It helps I'm tanned so you don't see the fur. Same with armpit hair, around 12?

In my culture, girls get their ears pierced as newborns, before leaving the hospital. At around 14 I wanted another piercing and my youngest aunt did it at home. She numbed my ear with ice and pierced my ear!lol! My cousin and I pierced each other's ears a second time. I have 2 homemade piercings in one ear.

My cousin and I were born days apart. We were partners in crime many times. We followed fashion trends and tried to look cool all the time. We wore combat boots and checkered flannel shirts with with everything! I also wore my combat boots with mini skirts and shorts, smh...

At 15 I had a fake nose ring. I wore I tiny bikini at the beach, without my parents knowledge or permission. Lol! I plucked my eyebrows because I hated my unibrow!
I think I colored my hair around the same time.

I was lucky I never had any skin problems. I never had acne or a lot of pimples. I had fun doing face masks and hair masks. Some of them smelled awful!

One of my best friends from middle and high school loved everything about beauty. She did my and my friends makeup. She enjoyed so much she became a beautician.

My mom liked makeup, my grandma did too. I guess it depends if you are around it or not. My mom never said no and my dad either. I didn't go wild with it, so I guess that's why they never complained about it.

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
I went through a teenage phase of wearing eyeliner. I also had blue hair (which is wavy/curly and I'd straighten it every morning), I wore girls skinny jeans, and I had my nipples pierced... I tried to delete all the evidence of that but my wife probably has pictures hidden somewhere :LOL:
I have a strong feeling we would've been very good friends in our younger years.

·
Registered
9,067 Posts
And, you can believe she'll whip them out if she thinks it will dissuade your son from doing something she considers foolish.:D

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
A little lipstick, light eyeshadows, mascara, and a tiny bit of blush on occasions such as picture day, weekend gatherings, holidays, and such at 11.

By somewhere between 13 and 15 I switched to wearing full make up to school and pretty much whenever people were going to see my face unless I was A) playing a sport or B) doing physical labor.

Also, during the late 80's and into the very early 90's my dad could bounce a quarter off my hair I kept it so sprayed into shape. He thought it was hilarious.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Shaving my legs was the real battle. My mother did have a strong opinion on that and it wasn’t meant to begin at 12 or 13
My mom was like that, too. She showed me early how to do make up and not look like a clown, but she didn't want me shaving my legs until 13. Did I mention I'm pale and have thick dark hairs? So, I used my dad's razor and tried to shave my legs one afternoon when I was 10 or 11.

Bad idea.

Dad's razor was a cheap single blade. I ripped a chunk of skin from my ankle up about 1.5 inches. My mom had to use a maxi pad to staunch the blood. After that, she agreed to teach me.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I like many girls was in a rush to grow up. I shaved my legs pretty young, I hid it from my mom.
As for makeup, I played around with it in middle school, I never wore it to school because I was a wake up and 5mins later run to the bus, so I never spent much time getting ready in the morning (I am still like this). But on weekends my mom didn’t care what makeup I wore so I did it more often then.
I started regularly putting on mascara and blush in high school. I grew up with boys and my mom didn’t wear makeup so when I wore any, I got made fun of by my brothers so I got self conscious and never ever wore a lot of it.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I think I was a freshman in high school when I started wearing make up regularly and haven't looked back. I am one of those that does not leave the house without my makeup on. I feel naked without it. As I've gotten older, I don't wear as much, more neutral tones, but I still love make up. I have fair skin and light colored eyelashes and eyebrows. If I do not wear make up, I look I am sick. LOL!

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I think I was a freshman in high school when I started wearing make up regularly and haven't looked back. I am one of those that does not leave the house without my makeup on. I feel naked without it. As I've gotten older, I don't wear as much, more neutral tones, but I still love make up. I have fair skin and light colored eyelashes and eyebrows. If I do not wear make up, I look I am sick. LOL!
I’m the same way with pale skin. I have to do my eyebrows and eyelashes every day.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Another thread had me reflecting, and I'm curious TAM... what were your experiences with starting to become conscious of beauty routines, wear makeup, certain clothes and such?

I started wearing makeup around aged 13. Mostly unflattering green or blue eye-shadow, mascara, maybe blush, and lipstick. My peers weren't wearing makeup and I don't recall why I started experimenting. My mother is the opposite and doesn't wear makeup. I was called to the principal office for wearing lipstick. She explained it was too bold to be worn at school, yet also asked the brand as she wanted to get one.

When I wanted to shave my legs, my mother didn't feel I needed to and claimed the hair would grow back stronger and advised me to wait. I accepted this, until a boy I crushed on commented on my hairy legs. That night I went home and figured out how to use my brother's razor. Told my mother afterwards that I had shaved my legs. Same boy noticed the smoothness of my legs a few days later.

Around 16, I wanted to shape my eyebrows. My mother didn't think I ought to touch them, but agreed to take me to a beautician to wax them. And then tried it herself for the first time. By then, makeup application had improved, and I'd stopped doing crazy things with my hair; opting for a stylish cut instead. The clothing choices on the other-hand... another matter.

Anyway, I'm curious about your experiences!
Sounds like we grew up around the same time! I was a flat out tomboy between 8-13, everyone complimented my Mom on what a handsome son she had :D . She was as girly as they came, she wore dresses and skirts, always wore lipstick no matter what and did her hair. I dressed like a boy, had a very short haircut until suddenly I decided at 13, I liked boys.

My first foray into makeup included some metallic sky blue or mint green eyeliner and frosty fuschia lipstick 😱, then I rebelled against the muddy brown 90's lipstick trend and wore BRIGHT vermillion red lipstick and loads of black eyeliner, no mascara. I was a total novice but had fun with it. I didn't really wear foundation/concealer until I was around 16 when I started breaking out, though I never plastered it on. I grew up in the Caribbean, it was hot and humid, and only wore makeup when I went out. No makeup was allowed in school, we had uniforms.

I started shaving around 13, but only when I went out and wore something short. My mom made sure I didn't use makeup with bad ingredients and bought nicer stuff for me. I never packed it on, but my look was bright and fun and I didn't take it too seriously. I think I started wearing eyeshadow around 18, but never applied it properly until I was in my 20's.

Nowadays, I wear makeup when I leave my house, my look depends on where I'm going and the occasion. At minimum, I'll wear tinted moisturizer with SPF, neutral eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, bronzer/blush, and some kind of lip color. If I'm going all out, I'll do the works, but not pack it on. I still haven't worked up the nerve to try false lashes though, for some reason. I just wear eyeliner, mascara and tinted lipbalm when my dude comes over.

Despite still breaking out at 41 (hormones are a *****!), my skin is in very good condition. I don't have wrinkles or fine lines, but I do have some pigmentation and redness(sometimes). I've always tried to take good care of my skin, I'm careful about the ingredients in my makeup and skincare, I DIY facials to save some bucks. I just love getting all dolled up when I'm going out, makeup is like another accessory. Depending on what you are wearing, I think it just looks weird if you leave your face bare, especially with my coloring (I have black hair, dark eyes, light skin and pale pink lips)

·
Registered
8,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Sounds like we grew up around the same time!
I'm close to your age, so yes we did!

I dug out an old photo from when I first went to a nightclub. I would have been aged 15/16. A friend who was a couple years older took me, and provided me with a fake ID. At the door, I was preparing myself that I wouldn't get in. However, bouncer just waved us through. I had light foundation with liquid eyeliner, mascara, neutral eye-shadow, blush, and bright red lipstick. She wore hot-pants with a halter neck top. I wore black pants with a formal-style jacket (whah?) and likely my first pair of heels; although they were a chunky heel. Prior, I had been to raves and used to wear men's oversized jeans with fitted bodysuits. Not a flattering look. My brother and I were recollecting and laughing recently over some of our fashion choices. He basically dressed like Jim Morrison; and threw in occasional pop star influence, too. What I loved wearing the most, before I saved and got a leather jacket, was an anime tshirt which had an emblam that glowed in the dark. I also loved wearing doc marten boots. Meanwhile, friends were in 'normal' stylish dresses.

Scene from first night-club

1 - 20 of 42 Posts