Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
And how long have you been with your spouse? For me it started at around 6 years in our relationship haha - was insecure about his close relationship with another girl and made him stop talking to her. Since then we're still together and going strong.

We're both very reasonable and logical and I think that's important in a relationship. Sometimes though.. my emotions overtake me and I get really angry at silly things. Same with him though!

Right now, so far nothing awful has happened though. *knocks on wood*

·
Registered
10,214 Posts
We first started having trouble around year three.
We went to a Marriage Counsellor and things worked out, because this MC was a friend of mine and she was very skilled.

But my wife is a very strong willed woman.
She challenges me a lot.
That in itself brings out the best in me.
I like a woman with fire in her.

·
Premium Member
17,835 Posts
Divorced June 2012. Separated June 2011.
At first, I thought:
2010, then,
2009, then,

I really do not know. She said, "I knew early in the marriage." I think something like the second year. HUH!!??

I'm so confused. I don't think I will ever know the truth. That might reveal too much.

·
Registered
16,640 Posts
Married 7-1/2 years. Trouble commenced about 1-1/2 years into it when all three of STBXW's kids got arrested for possesion of drugs away from home, and then with us finding their stash in our home.

She adamantly defended their right to have them as she was of the opinion that "everybody does it." My argument was that I didn't want them bringing that crap into our home, more especially when my kids were present.

And it all started spiralling downhill from there!

·
Registered
230 Posts
The first day of marriage. We didn't make love until 5 days after the ceremony. Looking back I think she felt I rushed her into marriage and was and is not fully in love with me.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Divorced after being married 18 years. I can't actually identify anything that i would call trouble until she asked for divorce. We would often talk over the years about how smooth our marriage seemed compared to others. We didn't argue much at all. people were amazed that we didn't have troubles when we built our new home; we heard a lot of stories about other couples arguing during that. After my x wife asked for divorce because she was unhappy, she said i started changing about 12 years into our marriage. So, I guess she had stewed for 6 years and then decided she needed a divorce.

·
Banned
2,120 Posts
Year 17...or roughly 3 years ago w/ILYNILWY

Decided last night to take the marriage vs separation path together.
Well see...stay tuned. My story will be posted to help others cope
with ILYNILWY and sexless marriages.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Married 7-1/2 years. Trouble commenced about 1-1/2 years into it when all three of STBXW's kids got arrested for possesion of drugs away from home, and then with us finding their stash in our home.

She adamantly defended their right to have them as she was of the opinion that "everybody does it." My argument was that I didn't want them bringing that crap into our home, more especially when my kids were present.

And it all started spiralling downhill from there!
not condoning pot. I don't like or hate it. Just don't think I should get in trouble over it. My brother brought his stash home. When my dad found it, he set it on fire :rofl:

As for wife did you ask her if everyone else jumped off a bridge, would she? Cliche but it works.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That's really strange and you people separate on minor issues. You people have to sit and talk about problems but what I am seeing that you people are happy to separate.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
We started having trouble right after the ceremony when my wife's mom blew up and created a huge scene at the reception because the hosts didn't have the right kind of whiskey for her husband to drink (himself into a stupor) and she didn't like this and she didn't like that and she didn't like the DJ and she didn't like .... My wife got so upset over the whole thing she started drinking herself (with plenty of help from her party hearty friends) and the whole thing degenerated into a drunken mess. This was the first and last time my wife has more than one or two drinks in all the time I've known her and she was skunked.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
Started on our wedding night and went downhill from there. We sought mc in year 7. Married 21 years now.

I wasn't healthy enough for marriage and neither was he. Too young. Too broken.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Been married for 9... Separated right after year 8.
Trouble,, I can't pinpoint.. Pretty much started year 2...
God that sounds terrible.. When trouble starts that early in a marriage and yet we stay???

Ours started with verbal/emotional abuse...... turned into all other abuses minus the physical. Then the EA's.

I think we were doomed from the get-go after I learned of his "Deal with the devil" he had made so that I would fall in love with him. (I think that will deserve a thread of it's own).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Been with my husband 16yrs, married for 14. There have been many points in that time period that our lives have been stressed. Career ambition, a move to a new city, having twins, financial pressures. All of these things I would consider naturally-occurring. At times these things didn't make us the most loving, supportive people to be around, but somehow we managed to laugh with one another, poke fun at ourselves and still have a relatively calm household.
Our big issues started 3 yrs ago, however, if we scratch just beneath the surface it is clear that the mountain we are climbing right now is chucked full of all the past resentments we still hold from all of those times we were doing our 'duty' and not airing our hurts because it was our responsibility to maintain a 'calm household'. Ironic isn't it?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.