Talk About Marriage banner

181 - 200 of 243 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
It is supposed to be in the mid-90s today and near 100 by Friday, plus the humidity is at almost 100%. It is miserable. I hate the dog days of summer.
Similar here. Hot and humid are horrible. Virtual punch for those that dont appreciate their dry heat. :wink2:

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
Ahhhhh, Edmonton.

Such great memories.

Used to go there with the family when I lived in Montana. Funny thing, we always seemed to go there when there was some sort of a freak heat wave moving through, even in early spring.

But that didn't dampen our enthusiasm. We loved getting the tour of the provincial capitol. My kids would play in a large fountain on the grounds, which was shocking. Anywhere in the States, that would be strictly forbidden. Great kids museum up there as well; lots to do.

I made reservations at a hotel, just picking what I thought looked like a good value for nice accommodations on a web site--when we arrived, we found out it was an apartment building which had been sold and converted into a hotel. And it was HIGH rise--our room was on the 33rd floor! What a view! The kids LOVED it, as did my wife. It was like having our own high rise penthouse. Cool layout and floor plan as well. Nice kitchen so I could cook and we didn't have to eat out every night, although there were plenty of good restaurants to choose from when we did.

Everyone I knew liked to go to Calgary, but we were more smitten with Edmonton, even without going to the mall.

·
Premium Member
23,395 Posts
What is the actual temp.? I don't know, I just know it is another shorts and no shirt day around the house, starting at 6am.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Mid- to upper-90's, but that's cool for this part of the world. But the problem with monsoon season is the humidity. Granted, we don't get the type of humidity that plagues so many other parts of the U.S., but DANG - when the humidity is in the mid-30% range (I know, dry right?) coupled with continual high 90's days, it feels awful. The only upside of this is we're having an active monsoon. It rarely rains the rest of the year, so we'll gladly take what we can get during the summer months.

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
30C today - they issue a 'heat warning' here if it's supposed to be 29C or above for 2 days in a row with nighttime temps not going below I think 15C.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
30C today - they issue a 'heat warning' here if it's supposed to be 29C or above for 2 days in a row with nighttime temps not going below I think 15C.
I remember when visiting Toronto that they issued heat warnings under similar conditions. My wife and I laughed derisively. We won't see 15C until MAYBE mid-to-late October.

It's no so much that it hits 35C around here, but that it will do so every day for about 3 months. The older I get the less I like it. Temps like that just beat the hell out of you after a while, unless you stay in the AC nearly all the time.

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
I remember when visiting Toronto that they issued heat warnings under similar conditions. My wife and I laughed derisively. We won't see 15C until MAYBE mid-to-late October.
I know. I've lived here all my life and *I* think it's over the top with the heat warnings. We also get tornado watches and warnings and rainfall warnings and thunderstorm watches and warnings pretty much EVERY SINGLE DAY. Then when there really IS a tornado that touches down only a few miles from where my daughter lives (out in the country, in a trailer!!) everyone TOTALLY IGNORES all the chatter and I have to hear the emergency broadcast interrupt the radio say that EXACTLY WHERE SHE LIVES IS IN THE PATH and call her and freak out at her and tell her to get the hell in the tub and cover herself with a mattress because there is a REAL TORNADO on the way. (everyone's fine, it lifted off and dissipated before it got to them but THAT was a scary freaking afternoon let me tell you!!!!!!!)

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Yeah, but then we all wait, with bated breath for that first day in May when the temperature climbs above 10C. Toronto summers are a gift. It is our winters that stand out. Cold, I can handle cold. Heck, I go out to our hot tub when it’s -15C. It is the other fine feature that I can do without. Sn-f’ing-ow!!!
Oh the joy of having to get up an hour early to get my ass outside to clean enough driveway to get the car onto the street, which has not yet been plowed, only to turn my back for a mere second, and find the plow has indeed just come by, and dumped all the snow from the street onto my driveway.
Oh rapture, sitting on the snow covered freeway, and not moving for hours, only to discover that the person in the car in front of you must have recently immigrated from a tropical country and does not understand simple physics; applying pressure to the gas pedal in snowy conditions causes the vehicle to fish tail, eventually turning completely around. One suddenly develops intense religious feelings as someones car is doing a full 360 and is heading toward your brand new Audi!! Gawwwwddddd! NOOOOOOOO!

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
I'm in Amsterdam and its almost 10am and 55 degrees.Raining heavily though with thunderstorms promised.
Lovely weather for the outdoor U2 gig my gf and sil and niece are going to.

181 - 200 of 243 Posts