Talk About Marriage banner

1941 - 1960 of 1981 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
While suffering can have many good qualities, listening to the way we treat another here in those threads carries quite a sanctimonious tone... it cannot be healthy to have the mind trained for such banter through a thousand posts a day.

One cannot be angry and patient at the same time.
One cannot be angry and kind at the same time.
One cannot be angry and forgiving at the same time.

You become what you think... and if fighting for attention, power, or control will make a better person then think of the greatness around us... or perhaps it's not so great a goal after all.

So much hate and all for supporting those who broker power or favors.

That is what is on my mind today.
Love this! I often find my parents in this state of riled up anger ... and I haven't been able to get this point across to them. I try to steer them towards turning off the TV, spending more time outside, play a board game. Anything to remove the vicious cycle of anger and bitterness that is so easy to get lost in.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
I have come to a conclusion in the past week that if my premium membership would underwrite the ability to remove the Politics forum, I would whack-a-mole happily.
Oh, lord, I agree with you a million times over. This is a MARRIAGE forum, not a political forum. I say let those who want to argue ad nauseum about their political stance take it to a discussion board that is solely dedicated to politics.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
The biggest problem with the political forum is that there IS no discussion. There are just people trying to bash each other. I had a really good gun vs. anti gun discussion a while ago with Marduk -- and WE seemed to be able to make our points, have our discussions, without it devolving into snarky, name-calling ridden, vengeful posts.
Did I convince him? NO. Did he convince ME? NO. But I think we both had a good back and forth to make our points, present our sides, and that was it.
The stuff I see now is just awful -- it's not discussion.

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
This is a MARRIAGE forum, not a political forum. I say let those who want to argue ad nauseum about their political stance take it to a discussion board that is solely dedicated to politics.
I was reflecting on just that and thinking about the tone of those here who were patient and constructive in those hard times and hoping to understand as my marriage was struggling, and then ending. I came here because the site was "Talk About Marriage", a forum on how to strengthen relationships, not tear them down.

I stayed because the lessons learned and the peace of accepting that we are not obligated to be the same hurting or hurtful person that we were the day before was worth sharing.

Relationships are hard, even harder when winning is more important than how we treat others. Loving kindness is so important in how we engage another... to wish kind thoughts and embrace friendship with yourself to those unknown all the way to those you disagree with or even fear (hate).

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
I had a really good gun vs. anti gun discussion a while ago with Marduk -- and WE seemed to be able to make our points, have our discussions, without it devolving into snarky, name-calling ridden, vengeful posts.
Did I convince him? NO. Did he convince ME? NO. But I think we both had a good back and forth to make our points, present our sides, and that was it.
That was a good discussion...

·
Premium Member
14,341 Posts
The biggest problem with the political forum is that there IS no discussion. There are just people trying to bash each other. I had a really good gun vs. anti gun discussion a while ago with Marduk -- and WE seemed to be able to make our points, have our discussions, without it devolving into snarky, name-calling ridden, vengeful posts.
The stuff I see now is just awful -- it's not discussion.
Debating is always like that, and people have their biases, agendas, etc. Every now and then you get to butt heads with someone who you can even learn from even if you don't agree with them, but many times well, you hit a dead end, move on, come back and see if there is someone else you can discuss things with. It's not all bad :p

Besides we have snarky name-calling ridden vengeful posts in other non-political threads too lol

·
Premium Member
14,341 Posts
In other news, I just spent a few minutes chasing down a fly trying to murder it! But the bugga was stubborn.

Then I rolled up some wrapping paper which I used last christmas and boom. One hit.
Following this, I was curious why it was SO much easier, and apparently it's due to the whipping motion of a rolled up paper or swatter that is much faster than other whackers. Learnt something new!

/End random thought

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
In other news, I just spent a few minutes chasing down a fly trying to murder it! But the bugga was stubborn.

Then I rolled up some wrapping paper which I used last christmas and boom. One hit.
Following this, I was curious why it was SO much easier, and apparently it's due to the whipping motion of a rolled up paper or swatter that is much faster than other whackers. Learnt something new!

/End random thought
Newspapers are so out of date.
Could you not have used an iPad?

·
Premium Member
3,249 Posts
I got signed up for my covid vaccine. Won't be long until I'm free to roam. My fear is it won't last long (they don't know how long the antibodies stay in -- testing shows 3 months but they don't know longer and that's not long at all.) I trust my system for immune things since I rarely ever get a cold, never get the flu, but this is much different and hits me where I'm weakest, the respiratory system. So I will have some fun for awhile and then see if numbers drop over the next 3 months and then decide what's next.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I hate to burst your bubble but just because you get the vaccine doesn't mean you are free to roam as you put it. Even vaccinated people still need to distance and mask right now.

·
Premium Member
8,250 Posts
I hate to burst your bubble but just because you get the vaccine doesn't mean you are free to roam as you put it. Even vaccinated people still need to distance and mask right now.
That’s my understanding as well. My vaccination is scheduled (plus I had COVID last summer) but my doctor said not to get too excited because even after I get both shots I can still get the virus and also pass it along. Apparently the shots will only make the virus less severe if I get it again. Nothing really changes for now.

·
Premium Member
3,249 Posts
Well, that's what they say because I don't think they know, but I know that it says the vaccines are 95% effective, and that's WAY more effective than the normal flu vaccine is. I think it's something like 45%. I have a good immune system, so I'm planning on getting antibody tested after 3 months and probably every few weeks going forward. That way I'll know for myself how long it lasts in me.

·
Registered
9,384 Posts
I got signed up for my covid vaccine. Won't be long until I'm free to roam. My fear is it won't last long (they don't know how long the antibodies stay in -- testing shows 3 months but they don't know longer and that's not long at all.) I trust my system for immune things since I rarely ever get a cold, never get the flu, but this is much different and hits me where I'm weakest, the respiratory system. So I will have some fun for awhile and then see if numbers drop over the next 3 months and then decide what's next.
I'm impressed. Our Governor has been a real disappointment. Out of the 2.4 million doses delivered to CA, only 33% have been administered to healthcare workers. He's had months to get plans in order and he failed. He blames computer glitches, shortage of personnel and didn't know how long it would take to administer a dose (?). All predictable.

It will be months before my age group will be able to be vaccinated with the way it is going. Meanwhile my county's mortuaries are filling up. In fact, mortuaries throughout Southern California are scrambling to keep up with demand. Where a mortuary might pick up 6 bodies in a day, they are now picking up 30. Refrigerated trucks are in demand.

·
Premium Member
3,249 Posts
I'm impressed. Our Governor has been a real disappointment. Out of the 2.4 million doses delivered to CA, only 33% have been administered to healthcare workers. He's had months to get plans in order and he failed. He blames computer glitches, shortage of personnel and didn't know how long it would take to administer a dose (?). All predictable.

It will be months before my age group will be able to be vaccinated with the way it is going. Meanwhile my county's mortuaries are filling up. In fact, mortuaries throughout Southern California are scrambling to keep up with demand. Where a mortuary might pick up 6 bodies in a day, they are now picking up 30. Refrigerated trucks are in demand.
It's not been that great here, and I was working 3 different places, getting on a list, including one 200 miles away! But they are real slow getting vaccines here. The small Native American health clinic here got some and they won't be distributing it to just everyone or otherwise, I wouldn't have gotten in this soon. They are still vaccinating healthcare workers in Dallas but you can get on a list, and that's it right now. But the little clinic is already vaccinating people. Otherwise, I'd have gone to Oklahoma just to be safer because my main issue is I'm not wanting to do into a convention center among hundreds of people and expose myself, and that's how the City of Dallas keeps doing it, especially with the early rounds of it. And I know from getting tested at CVS that it takes forever waiting in line in the car, and I think they are doing the vaccs inside and not in the car, so I was worried about exposure.

At the clinic, they are letting people in one at a time only. So very happy they got some vaccine. They were among the last to get the covid tests, so I was surprised.

Reactions: Blondilocks

·
Registered
6,080 Posts
However, roaming will be better even if following mask directions because one is unlikely to get covid once vaccinated, thus removing some of the worry associated with getting covid one had pre vaccinated.

Much better. After vaccination, much less stress.

·
Premium Member
3,249 Posts
They say the vaccine can make you a little sick like you have it, so I hope when I go my breathing isn't too bad going in. It's pretty bad today. Wheezing this morning and dry cough this afternoon. Hope I'm on a better day.

·
Registered
14,300 Posts

Yeah, nothing like ignoring at risk groups.😡

1941 - 1960 of 1981 Posts