Talk About Marriage banner

1921 - 1940 of 1981 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
The things I want about gun control is I want police better equipped than citizens and I want them to be able to use it. I don't see why an individual in the United States needs something that is mainly for killing lots of people at once.

And I think we ought to be able to search people and take illegal guns off of criminals.

I also think we need to have a good system in place for taking legal guns from those who should not have them because they've committed a violent crime or are abusive to their spouse or have become mentally unstable. We have laws like that but we have no way to enforce them except by happenstance.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
I'm in Dallas. It's been snowing here for over an hour, real pretty, but nothing will stick as it's not going down to freezing. Saw one couple out walking a husky, its one chance this year to see what it's genes do best in.

Reactions: jlg07

·
Premium Member
14,341 Posts
The things I want about gun control is I want police better equipped than citizens and I want them to be able to use it. I don't see why an individual in the United States needs something that is mainly for killing lots of people at once.

And I think we ought to be able to search people and take illegal guns off of criminals.

I also think we need to have a good system in place for taking legal guns from those who should not have them because they've committed a violent crime or are abusive to their spouse or have become mentally unstable. We have laws like that but we have no way to enforce them except by happenstance.
Over here down under almost no one has guns except the coppas and it works well, I don't see them abusing their power at all hell the ones I know never pulled it out except at the range but when they have to they can. But I guess that's because they dont have to worry about guns being pulled on them over here lol

But I understand this can be a rather alien reality, like how we play rugby without paddings :p It's been a running joke as long as I can remember over here that people can walk into a gun shop and walk out with assault rifles over there lol - problem though is that our laws here can still side with the criminal, still illegal to defend yourself most of the time, most self-defence weapons are made illegal, but some they have missed (hehe).

I like the law where you guys are allowed to shoot home invaders on sight. That's a dream here.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Yeah. It's gone too far, IMO. But it's a foundation of our Constitution. And the gun lobby is huge and they consider any practical amendment a slippery slope, which I do not agree with at all. That's paranoia.

·
Premium Member
14,341 Posts
Yeah. It's gone too far, IMO. But it's a foundation of our Constitution. And the gun lobby is huge and they consider any practical amendment a slippery slope, which I do not agree with at all. That's paranoia.
Aye, not an easy thing to change, not like here where we just decided to get rid of them all one day and that was that!

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Well, there are more guns than people here, so it would literally be impossible to get rid of all the guns, or even all one type of gun. Plus they pour in across the southern border back and forth so until we control the border (not going to happen in Biden's term -- they'll open it), we have no chance of controlling guns at all. All we could do is stop licensing certain types and hope that slows the manufacture and black market on the border down some and then take them away when someone is caught with one, which is rare.

·
Premium Member
3,274 Posts
I have come to a conclusion in the past week that if my premium membership would underwrite the ability to remove the Politics forum, I would whack-a-mole happily.

For a marriage help site to have so much animosity is troubling me, my heart hurts for our members too often these days..

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
All you have to do is not go there. There's a lot of topics I don't ever look at on here.

·
Premium Member
27,811 Posts
And, yet the best game of the playoffs was the game I thought was going to be a blowout, Bills v Colts.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
And, yet the best game of the playoffs was the game I thought was going to be a blowout, Bills v Colts.
Was cheering for the Bills, been so long since they won a playoff game.

Still, what the hell is wrong with the Steelers?

·
Premium Member
14,341 Posts
All you have to do is not go there. There's a lot of topics I don't ever look at on here.
For folks around the world, my country included, politics is like... meh, you laugh about it, whatever, move on. For your country right now though, it's like life and death! :LOL:
I tend to go on it everytime you guys end up on the front page of my local news site where I mostly use to monitor new C-19 outbreaks which we are having a new one at the moment.

To make people happy though, maybe remove it from people's recommended post list so you have to actually deliberate go by forum list->off-topic->politics to visit the subforum. Out of sight and out of mind to people who would rather not be offended by its existence.

·
Registered
9,384 Posts
I have come to a conclusion in the past week that if my premium membership would underwrite the ability to remove the Politics forum, I would whack-a-mole happily.

For a marriage help site to have so much animosity is troubling me, my heart hurts for our members too often these days..
I think it serves a purpose. Who would they be arguing with if they didn't have this forum? Maybe it is saving marriages. ha-ha

We had one member who wanted to turn every conversation into a debate with his wife and daughters because he loved debating. They told him they were sick of it - why couldn't they just have a normal conversation.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Anyone watching the Cleveland - Pittsburgh game?
Was that wild or what??? After that snooze-fest Saints/Bears matchup, watching Cleveland go berserk in the first quarter was fantastic!

Glad to hear you're feeling better!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Was that wild or what??? After that snooze-fest Saints/Bears matchup, watching Cleveland go berserk in the first quarter was fantastic!

Glad to hear you're feeling better!
Thank You!

That Cleveland - Pittsburg was a riot! I'm just happy the Browns won a playoff game in, what, 20+ years?

·
Premium Member
3,274 Posts
I think it serves a purpose. Who would they be arguing with if they didn't have this forum? Maybe it is saving marriages. ha-ha

We had one member who wanted to turn every conversation into a debate with his wife and daughters because he loved debating. They told him they were sick of it - why couldn't they just have a normal conversation.
While suffering can have many good qualities, listening to the way we treat another here in those threads carries quite a sanctimonious tone... it cannot be healthy to have the mind trained for such banter through a thousand posts a day.

One cannot be angry and patient at the same time.
One cannot be angry and kind at the same time.
One cannot be angry and forgiving at the same time.

You become what you think... and if fighting for attention, power, or control will make a better person then think of the greatness around us... or perhaps it's not so great a goal after all.

So much hate and all for supporting those who broker power or favors.

That is what is on my mind today.

1921 - 1940 of 1981 Posts