Talk About Marriage banner

1301 - 1320 of 1417 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
Perhaps that is because you aren't doing something worthwhile.
Not really. It’s just something I’ve kind of struggled with in my life. It’s off and on depending on how I feel at the time, but it’s something that never really goes away.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Does anyone have any foods that give them weird dreams when they eat it (especially at night)...?

I'm sitting here once again looking at the moon rising and I'm eating cheese slices, then remembered that I seem to usually have bizarre dreams when I eat cheese in the evening

Edit: and yep, weirdness ensued last night on cue!

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Taking the Lord's name in vain - for non-believers who enjoy doing this, I wonder why? What do they get out of it? Since they don't believe in God, they obviously don't believe in Satan either. But, I have never heard anyone declare "Satandamn it". Methinks they aren't as devoid of belief as they proclaim. Otherwise, the word 'God' wouldn't even be in their vocabulary.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Taking the Lord's name in vain - for non-believers who enjoy doing this, I wonder why? What do they get out of it? Since they don't believe in God, they obviously don't believe in Satan either. But, I have never heard anyone declare "Satandamn it". Methinks they aren't as devoid of belief as they proclaim. Otherwise, the word 'God' wouldn't even be in their vocabulary.
That doesn't even make sense. So what about kids? My kids started saying "oh my god" or "jesus (f'ing) christ" before they even knew what religion was and had almost no exposure to it. Kids pick it up from their parents, it becomes a habit to say, they keep using it through adulthood. Cycle repeats.

·
Premium Member
13,776 Posts
I say "Save me Jebus" which I got from the Simpsons :)

Regardless like others have mentioned expressions like "OMG" is so culturally ingrained I would bet more than half if not most people who use it don't even believe in Jebus.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Whether you are a Christian or not, using profanity is tacky. There are people that use profanity so much, it is ingrained in their everyday language, I don't think they even realize how much they use it. I just do not get the appeal.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
That doesn't even make sense. So what about kids? My kids started saying "oh my god" or "jesus (f'ing) christ" before they even knew what religion was and had almost no exposure to it. Kids pick it up from their parents, it becomes a habit to say, they keep using it through adulthood. Cycle repeats.
If one doesn't believe in something, then why would it be on the tip of their tongue? Are they merely trying to communicate in a vernacular that they expect others to understand?

I'm not going to address your children's language. As you said, they pick it up from their parents.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
If one doesn't believe in something, then why would it be on the tip of their tongue? Are they merely trying to communicate in a vernacular that they expect others to understand?

I'm not going to address your children's language. As you said, they pick it up from their parents.
It has nothing to do with religion... It's something people say, think nothing of and it means nothing. When I say it I'm not thinking of anything religious. It's just an expression. That's it.

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
Additional random thought... I do use curse words... and sometimes when I read a thread, certain specific words cross my mind. I just can't post them.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Additional random thought... I do use curse words... and sometimes when I read a thread, certain specific words cross my mind. I just can't post them.
Sure you can. Today for example, I saw a bunch of guys just sitting around doing nothing at a roadworks site, I said to myself "those fornicating see you next Tuesdays better move their donkeys and get on with it!"

1301 - 1320 of 1417 Posts