Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
3201 - 3220 of 3446 Posts

·
Registered
19,108 Posts
Our generation may not band together in social groups to follow music trends, but we are far more likely to have things like Die Antwoord and Merle Travis in the same play list.
Who and who?

I just don't know pop culture any more. Somebody made reference to 'Bella' somebody the other day, apparently she's a supermodel. I had no idea who they were talking about. I guess there's a downside to only streaming media that you want to consume with no commercials - you don't know about stuff that you're not already interested in.

Just as a funny story - I walked in on my youngest son with headphones on, belting out "dream on" by aerosmith. I never even liked aerosmith.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Our generation may not band together in social groups to follow music trends, but we are far more likely to have things like Die Antwoord and Merle Travis in the same play list.
Who and who?

I just don't know pop culture any more. Somebody made reference to 'Bella' somebody the other day, apparently she's a supermodel. I had no idea who they were talking about. I guess there's a downside to only streaming media that you want to consume with no commercials - you don't know about stuff that you're not already interested in.

Just as a funny story - I walked in on my youngest son with headphones on, belting out "dream on" by aerosmith. I never even liked aerosmith.
I feel your pain. My daughters are 18 and 20. I have no idea what they are talking about half the time. Dang I feel old !!

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Who and who?

Merle Travis

Die Antwoord(really weird music...)

i get my music by streaming what i wanted... but you had not even heard of Merle Travis? the freedom to instantly listen to whatever i want to has probably exposed me to far more than what i would have otherwise been exposed to...

·
Registered
19,108 Posts
but you had not even heard of Merle Travis?
Is he like Garth Clint? Or Travis Black? Or what's his name married to what's her name that used to be annoying by singing during NFL games just after the ads?

I'm just making up country names. Is country music still a thing?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I don’t know any Merle Travis but if you ever want to throw on some cowboy boots and head to the Honky Tonk to rub bellies with your old lady on the dance floor you can try:

Merle Haggard: Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Star

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
nobody has ever heard the song 16 tons? you might have heard later covers... Tennessee Ernie Ford, Johnny Cash?

·
Registered
19,108 Posts
I don’t know any Merle Travis but if you ever want to throw on some cowboy boots and head to the Honky Tonk to rub bellies with your old lady on the dance floor you can try:

Merle Haggard: Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Star
As fun when I was in university, my friends would take me to a big local country bar.

And time how long it took for me to get into a fight. The shortest was literally two minutes. I didn't even start it, I just walked into the place. But I sure finished it.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
my point is, as a millennial that grew up streaming music on demand, i have an extremely eclectic playlist. old songs from the 20s, jazz, swing, old country, new country, rock, hip hop, pop,, christian contemporary, foreign languages etc. about the only thing i dont listen to much is rap and most of the metal songs that have unintelligible lyrics.

when i was younger and still discovering music, i went to the internet and listened to all the songs by anyone new, especially if i wasnt sure i would like the artist. when i was curious growing up, i just used the local public library computers to look up whatever i wanted. so nowadays, i can have whatever i want on my playlist.

because i am curious by nature and am used to looking everything up on the internet, it means that i get exposed to a very wide range of music...

that is part of the reason that movements dont revolve around music much these days. good music does not stand out nearly as much as it used to. not because there isnt any good music anymore, but because there is so much of it that it is no longer all that special.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Science buffs please help.

How the hell does this happen?!?

Not sure if the photo is clear. It’s an ice cube tray, with one of the cubes having a spire of ice shooting straight up out of it.

Why?! How?!
the ice freezes over the outside of the cube first. while there is still a small hole left in the top of the ice, the water gets pushed out of the hole as water turns to ice inside the ice cube. the expanding ice inside the cube pushes the water out, which freezes, forming something like a pipe. as the ice continues the push water through that "tube", it continues to freeze. the end result is a frozen spike.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
nobody has ever heard the song 16 tons? you might have heard later covers... Tennessee Ernie Ford, Johnny Cash?
Merle Travis may have been the composer; but, Tennessee Ernie owns it. His rendition has always been the gold standard for me. Love those low, low notes.

·
Registered
17,184 Posts
Science buffs please help.

How the hell does this happen?!?

Not sure if the photo is clear. It’s an ice cube tray, with one of the cubes having a spire of ice shooting straight up out of it.

Why?! How?!
the ice freezes over the outside of the cube first. while there is still a small hole left in the top of the ice, the water gets pushed out of the hole as water turns to ice inside the ice cube. the expanding ice inside the cube pushes the water out, which freezes, forming something like a pipe. as the ice continues the push water through that "tube", it continues to freeze. the end result is a frozen spike.
Thank you and I also read a bit about this in the meantime. The cool thing is that when experimenters are trying to duplicate this effect, the only way it usually happens is when distilled water is used. But this happens to me all the time and I never use distilled water. Why this is happening in my case is because Portland water is so pure. The tap water here is so delicious and incredible that people come in from surrounding cities and fill up gallons of it to take home. I can go to my friends house who lives in a suburb only 10 minutes away and their water comes from a different source and dear god, it tastes terrible!! Can’t even drink it from the tap at all. Same thing happens in restaurants. If you want water with your meal but you are outside of Portland, you ask for bottled water.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Meeting a pair of teen sisters like me,in the transgendered community.The oldest whom is 16 is gender fluid living and dressing as a girl and the youngest,14 is transgendered living and dressing as a girl going on the hormones in Janauary turning 15.Both came out last year and lucky to have their dad for support.Their dad said they are the same people but much happier as his daughters now.Their dad is single and I am keeping in touch with them now

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
As fun when I was in university, my friends would take me to a big local country bar.

And time how long it took for me to get into a fight. The shortest was literally two minutes. I didn't even start it, I just walked into the place. But I sure finished it.

It's not a country bar unless there is at least two fights !!!!

I know what the inside of the Natchitoches jail looks like …….0:)

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I'll see your Natchitoches and raise you Webster, Midland, Galveston and League City jails.

When I talk about my misspent youth, I usually don't even have to exaggerate ...

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Merle Travis may have been the composer; but, Tennessee Ernie owns it. His rendition has always been the gold standard for me. Love those low, low notes.
i agree. its his cover of the song that i have on my playlist. still though, i do like to listen to a lot of originals when i can. even if i dont like them as much as later covers. wagon wheel is another example. i prefer darius ruckers country version, but i still listen to the original.

·
Registered
19,108 Posts
It's not a country bar unless there is at least two fights !!!!

Never been in jail.

The worst thing that happened, I think, is when a guy's girlfriend hit me in the back of the head with her high heeled shoe. I didn't know what to do. I mean, it was a girl.

So I took her shoe, broke the heel off, and threw it in a bush.

3201 - 3220 of 3446 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.