Talk About Marriage banner

1501 - 1520 of 1550 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,501
When I got TexMex to bring home today and sat there and ate it for like 45 minutes, I realize that when I'm eating out, especially TexMex or Southwest, that I am eating a GOB of food all at once compared to how I naturally eat when I have to fix it myself. Cooking as I've been doing during the pandemic, I often only make one thing, as it's just me, or maybe I'll make a side the next day to go with some meat or whatever. I probably eat more frequently at home, but I sure don't eat as much at a setting.

Reactions: ccpowerslave

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Dropped off all the baked goods with my parents yesterday.

In return, my mom gave me all of their veggies that were about to go bad. There are only two of them in the house and they eat like birds, so I don't know they shop at costco!

I have two giant packs of mushrooms, a 5lb bag of spinach, two bunches of asparagus, broccoli, and snap peas that all need to be used within the next day or two.

Trying to dream up some fabulous meal that would use all of these at once. I might just end up making a huge stir fry.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,503
You can make a simple cream spinach with mushrooms. Then you can put the rest on a roasting pan or stir fry.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,504
I was craving gravy and french fries from this particular good hamburger joint that has the best gravy. It's kind of far away, so only had it once during the pandemic and it's a cold day so was prepared to have to put it all in the oven, but got home with it reasonably warm and sure was good. I get weird cravings like that sometimes. Not too often, fortunately.

Reactions: ccpowerslave

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
More adventures in bread baking today. This was a recipe that called for letting the dough rest in the fridge for several days prior to shaping, second rise and baking. Definitely one of the most attractive loaves I've made so far, but still not exactly what I was looking for.

I think I am going to go forward with making my own sourdough starter and see what that yields.

Also, I don't think my oven is getting hot enough to get the result I want. The really light, airy, crusty breads are baked at 450 or 500 and even though my oven says it's set to that temp I feel like everything is just taking so much longer than the recipes state.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,506
Sure looks good. You can get a little oven temp tester real easy online and see what your oven is doing at different settings. Don't just test one. Test all the ones you use. I know my last one was off, but my new one seems right except something is wrong with the broiler. It has an in-oven broiler, my preference, and has a hi and low broil but they both don't seem to work right and will just go straight to burning. Even with the oven door cracked. So I've started just setting the oven temp somewhat high and making do that way to melt for example nachos.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Sure looks good. You can get a little oven temp tester real easy online and see what your oven is doing at different settings. Don't just test one. Test all the ones you use. I know my last one was off, but my new one seems right except something is wrong with the broiler. It has an in-oven broiler, my preference, and has a hi and low broil but they both don't seem to work right and will just go straight to burning. Even with the oven door cracked. So I've started just setting the oven temp somewhat high and making do that way to melt for example nachos.
Oh I know. I've just been putting it off, because we can't just go buying a new stove/oven because mine doesn't get as hot as I want. So until I have it actually confirmed with a thermometer, I can tell myself that my oven is just fine and it's just me being crazy LOL. I'd prefer to live in denial rather than have concrete evidence and then pine after something new I can't have!

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,508
After I tested my old one I just turned it up a little until thermometer said it was 350 and then I just remembered to turn it on that high instead of 350.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,515
I'm going to eat long-cooking oatmeal for lunch, I decided. It's cold out, and I'm ready for something warm and simple

Reactions: starrider

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I was supposed to be cooking pan seared wild caught Faroe Island Salmon. My wife came home with farm raised Atlantic salmon. She said salmon is salmon and this was 14 a pound and the other stuff was 23 a pound.

I kept my cool, said well I would have liked the wild caught. But I am calling my lawyer in the morning to get the name of a divorce lawyer. I have my dealbreakers.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
She said salmon is salmon...
Ugh... For what it’s worth sometimes I prefer the “Scottish” farmed at my fishmonger to the local wild on the west coast. Last local wild I had delivered had been frozen too long I didn’t even take it. My local store is $17.99 for “Scottish” and normally $27.99 for wild local in season and probably half the time I buy the farmed because it looks fresher.

Ordering hot smoked from Pike’s Market in Seattle and having it delivered is also an option I like but my wife doesn’t eat smoked unfortunately. You can even get the copper king when it is in season. Back when people actually went to offices the sushi place across the street from my office had it in season as well, surprisingly good as sushi.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Ugh... For what it’s worth sometimes I prefer the “Scottish” farmed at my fishmonger to the local wild on the west coast. Last local wild I had delivered had been frozen too long I didn’t even take it. My local store is $17.99 for “Scottish” and normally $27.99 for wild local in season and probably half the time I buy the farmed because it looks fresher.

Ordering hot smoked from Pike’s Market in Seattle and having it delivered is also an option I like but my wife doesn’t eat smoked unfortunately. You can even get the copper king when it is in season. Back when people actually went to offices the sushi place across the street from my office had it in season as well, surprisingly good as sushi.
Frozen!!!!! Oh no no no no no. Never frozen. I would have kicked her out right then and there. Lol Best is fresh wild caught king for me. Though being on the east coast it’s usually only available for a few weeks to a couple of months any given year. I should lobster more since I have friends who have their own traps so I get it free but I hate having to wait for trash day to get rid of the shells. My wife and I eat 95% plant based so selecting an animal based protein is a thoughtful process.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
I don’t think they freeze it on purpose. It’s normally not that way but this was one of the worst pieces I have ever seen. They normally reserve those for Instacart shoppers so it really isn’t a surprise.

1501 - 1520 of 1550 Posts