Talk About Marriage banner

1481 - 1500 of 1550 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,481
I don't know why they haven't raised their prices. Obviously they're a family owned place. I don't know how they've escaped getting their rents raised all these years because that's what happens to a lot of good little independent restaurants is their landlords jack up the rent to where they can't afford it.

There used to be a good Italian buffet for lunch that was real cheap and in a cute little place, and they were forced out when their lease was up and they just gave up and went out of business. A lot of people were upset about it. Same thing happened to my favorite old Tex Mex place but they didn't move and reopen further away. Their last place actually got completely bought out by a huge developer. Grrr.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,483
I never eat fast food salads, but decided to try one from Wendy's, the Apple Walnut, bleu cheese, etc. I will just say that salad was a project. Lots of solids in there. Kind of a nut/fruit bowl. The dressing was good enough. Just a very busy salad. I like Panera Bread's apple salad better and it uses dried apples instead of whole ones. It's a bit lighter. Had a frosty though, and that was good. Unlike a lot of fast food shakes, it doesn't get gross as it melts and try to turn back into powder!

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Tonight's fare will be Thai-inspired chicken rice noodle soup. I amp up the heat with lots of serranoes because, well, life is too short to spend eating bland food.

@kag123 - I will PM you the moussaka recipe ASAP.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Ok @karole crust is in the oven.

Pie filling:
1 store bought rotisserie chicken deboned and chopped
1 pack of sliced mushrooms
4 sticks of celery chopped
1 bunch small carrots chopped or equal to celery
3 cloves garlic smashed and rough chopped
2 1/3 large waxy potatoes cut into 1” chunks and boiled
4 tbsp butter
2-3 TBSP light olive oil
~4-5 TBSP flour
Chicken stock to make sauce

Heat oil and butter in pot and sauté veggies and garlic until mostly done. Add in flour to absorb all the grease and cook on medium low for a couple minutes to make a light rue. Add stock until you get desired amount of sauce, bring to simmer. Add other cooked ingredients and stir. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Other options if I had in stock:

Cream in sauce
1 onion or frozen pearl onions thawed
Frozen peas thawed
Any kind of herbs you like, my wife hates herbs

I made a 1 1/2 recipe for my pot will post results later tonight.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Play by play:

Has been in 30 minutes and is tan but not brown. The filling is bubbling. Possible my pot is too deep. Turned it up by 20 degrees. Wife touched the surface and goes “ooh it seems flakey”.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,492
That looks nice and rich.

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
Select sauté setting and heat neutral oil such as canola oil or vegetable oil. Add onion, celery, garlic and sauté for about five minutes until onion has softened. Add the beef broth, wine, Worcestershire, mustard ,V-8 juice, rosemary, A1 sauce, bay leaf, stir to combine. Add the beef and stir.

Secure the lid and set the pressure release to ceiling. Press the cancel button to reset the cooking program then select meat stew setting and set the cooking time for 30 minutes at high-pressure.

When the cooking program and let the pressure release open the pot remove the Bayleaf and story and the carrots and potatoes. Secure the lid and selective pressure release to ceiling press the cancel button then select pressure cook or manual and said the cooking time for three minutes at high pressure.
When the cooking program ends, let the pressure release. Open the pot and remove the bay leaf and stir in the carrots and potatoes. Secure the lid and select the pressure release to sealing, press the cancel button then select pressure cook or manual and set the cooking time for three minutes at high pressure.

In a small bowl stir together 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of cold water and set aside.

When cooking ends, let pressure release then open the pot. Quickly stir the cornstarch mixture into the stew. Recover the pot with the lid and let stand for five minutes to thicken. Add more salt and pepper to taste if needed.

DON’T BURN THE GARLIC !

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
We had ceasar salad with salmon tonight.

I had bought a 10lb bag of cara cara oranges from costco earlier in the week, because last year they were my favorite. This bag was kinda sour/bitter. I'm hoping it's just because it's early in the season? Anyway I didn't want to just throw them away so I am making orange marmalade with them, which I'll put into jars. I've never made it before so .

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,496
We had ceasar salad with salmon tonight.

I had bought a 10lb bag of cara cara oranges from costco earlier in the week, because last year they were my favorite. This bag was kinda sour/bitter. I'm hoping it's just because it's early in the season? Anyway I didn't want to just throw them away so I am making orange marmalade with them, which I'll put into jars. I've never made it before so .

They might have gotten Frozen. But sour fruit makes good jellies and jams. Better than real sweet fruit even.

I was jonesing for a Caesar salad today but the one I'm jonesing for is Texas roadhouse's and I've been kind of researching into it and it's not really a caesar salad if what is written on line is true. But it's really delicious and one thing they supposedly do that makes it so good is they give it a little freeze before bringing it out so it's super crisp and everything.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I often find it so draining and disappointing to go to doctor after doctor and get no solid answers or help
Ain't that the truth. I have a relative dealing with much of the same. They have been diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome rather than fibro. The latest doc says he thinks it's multiple chemical sensitivity instead, and that seems to be the case. Figured I'd drop the link, in case it could help.

As for cooking, I think I've gotten pretty good at it.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,498
I went and picked up TexMex today and got in a conversation with the guy who brought it out, who seemed to know all about cooking. It's hard to make plain cheese enchiladas with chili con carne. For one thing, there are few recipes, and for another thing, the recipes there are don't come out right. This is the very foundation of a TexMex menu, so it's baffling. I had one batch come out palatable, but it wasn't what you get at the TexMex places.

So this guy told me that of all the TexMex, it's the hardest thing to make. He says you really have to make a huge batch to get it to come out right. I'd still love to know how to make it. I'd make a big batch and freeze it. He said Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas are the easiest. That's what I'm having right now from there, with guac, rice and beans. Yum. Chips and salsa, of course.

Reactions: ccpowerslave

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Been watching too much Great British Bake Off. We are visiting family this evening, so I made orange cranberry cinnamon rolls, lemon raspberry "eclairs" and cream puffs. I really just wanted to try out making choux pastry and it came out pretty good for a first try. All of these things are going to be dropped off at my parents so they arent in my house.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,500
Been watching too much Great British Bake Off. We are visiting family this evening, so I made orange cranberry cinnamon rolls, lemon raspberry "eclairs" and cream puffs. I really just wanted to try out making choux pastry and it came out pretty good for a first try. All of these things are going to be dropped off at my parents so they arent in my house.

Oh, those are my dream cinnamon rolls! I love orange icing. And lots of it. There's never enough.

Best cinnamon role I ever had though wasn't orange, but just regular but handmade for sure. It was on the Buffalo River in Arkansas. We would raft up to it as it was really remote by car, which we did do once hoping to find a place to stay nearby (nix and still no). Gilbert. A general store and a cafe. The cinnamon rolls were legendary. I'm sure the old lady is long dead now. I sure hope her offspring were interested in keeping the place open and learned the secret.

1481 - 1500 of 1550 Posts