Talk About Marriage banner

1061 - 1080 of 1155 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,062
Kag, I'm sorry to hear you're feeling bad. You take care of yourself. please don't try to do too much for Thanksgiving and wear yourself out. You know you can get complete Thanksgiving dinners from any number of places and honestly I think it's cheaper than buying everything you need to prepare it and then taking two or three days off to do it.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
@kag123 - Stress. I swear, I think stress exacerbates health issues and amplifies symptoms. I have a wacky immune system at times, and I know that stress really amps up how sick I get. Sending healing thoughts your way.

I was going for vegetarian this year, but I have a chicken in the freezer and a brining kit left over from last year, so it's brined/roasted chicken. I took your advice on preparing stuffing. The bread is already dried, bagged, and in the freezer. So it's basically bird, stuffing, fresh cranberry sauce, and roasted vegetables. Yawn. At least I'll have about a million hours of NFL action to watch.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
I'm intrigued. Could you provide a link to the recipe?

There are a lot of recipes on the web. I have one that was given to me by my neighbors private chef but that is tough to post a link to since it's on actual paper.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I got up the energy to make a literal ton of spaghetti with bolognese sauce tonight. I was able to feed the kids dinner without ordering out, and they like it enough that I can count on having enough leftovers to feed them off of it for the next two nights if I am still sick. I'll count that as a win.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,068
Well done!

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Kag, I'm so sorry you're feeling so poorly. I remember being stuck in bed for months when I had serious back issues and was partially paralyzed. I was desperate for entertainment so I'm happy to share my Thanksgiving meal plans with you. I can do it from memory as it's the same stuff every year, I think my family would riot if I tried to take something off the menu.

Roasted turkey with gravy
mashed potatoes
butternut squash
green beans almondine
stuffing
roasted sweet potatoes and onion
macaroni and tiny shrimp salad (seems weird but exH's family tradition)
oyster dressing which nobody but exH would eat...blech
cranberry sauce from the can...they'd kill me if I tried to make homemade
apple, pumpkin, and chocolate cream pie
pumpkin butter goey cake was a recent addition but only a tiny bit gets eaten so I might skip that this year

Seems like so much more when I'm in the throws of making it but I love it. The only thing I don't like is shopping or it...that back injury I mentioned happened when I picked up our turkey one year and put it on the conveyor belt. Ended up needing spinal surgery to fix it.

Hope you're well in time to cook but if not, look for a local restaurant that is doing take out catering. There are a few near me that are very good.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Kag, I'm so sorry you're feeling so poorly. I remember being stuck in bed for months when I had serious back issues and was partially paralyzed. I was desperate for entertainment so I'm happy to share my Thanksgiving meal plans with you. I can do it from memory as it's the same stuff every year, I think my family would riot if I tried to take something off the menu.

Roasted turkey with gravy
mashed potatoes
butternut squash
green beans almondine
stuffing
roasted sweet potatoes and onion
macaroni and tiny shrimp salad (seems weird but exH's family tradition)
oyster dressing which nobody but exH would eat...blech
cranberry sauce from the can...they'd kill me if I tried to make homemade
apple, pumpkin, and chocolate cream pie
pumpkin butter goey cake was a recent addition but only a tiny bit gets eaten so I might skip that this year

Seems like so much more when I'm in the throws of making it but I love it. The only thing I don't like is shopping or it...that back injury I mentioned happened when I picked up our turkey one year and put it on the conveyor belt. Ended up needing spinal surgery to fix it.

Hope you're well in time to cook but if not, look for a local restaurant that is doing take out catering. There are a few near me that are very good.
Oh man, the canned cranberry sauce! When my daughter was about 3, she coined it "circle jelly" and the name has stuck. I make my own cranberry sauce but there is a stark divide among family who attends my thanksgiving whether they like my recipe or the canned circle jelly, so it always has to be on the table.

I actually attempted to make my own circle jelly one time. It was harder than it looked, and my kids gave it a thumbs down lol. It had too much cranberry flavor is what they said, if you can believe that.

I enjoy cooking Thanksgiving dinner too. I am hoping to be well by then. I usually do most of my sides well before the day of, little by little, so I'm counting on being able to get it in by the holiday. I already told my H and kids that if I'm not well enough to cook, that they are going to do it with me walking them through it. I have faith they could do it with my coaching!

·
Premium Member
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,071
My family always skipped the circle jelly because none of us like it but once in awhile I've run across it at different people's Thanksgiving dinners.

The friend I have Thanksgiving with most often these days, her mom makes a real good fresh cranberry dish that has orange or orange juice in it. It's real nice and fresh tasting.

·
Premium Member
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,072
Today I'm making dinner in stages and eating it as I go. You can do that when you live alone! So I made a scalloped potatoes recipe and am eating it. Later if I am still motivated, I'll make the Lawry's simple sauteed pork chops to go with it.

This recipe is the one you can google from Spend With Pennies. You make an onion garlic white sauce and layer it. The main issue I have had with scalloped potato recipes is especially if you use golds, they don't cook through. But this one uses golds skin on and it's the first one I've seen that is honest about the cooking time, 45 minutes covered, 45 minutes uncovered.

Of course, I got an enormous onion on my drive-up order and I went ahead and used it but next time, I won't use the whole thing unless it's a medium onion. I can really taste it.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Feeling a bit better today, so I attempted my dinner rolls again. This time they came out a lot better. I added more flour and kneaded the dough longer this time. I brushed them with honey butter when they came out of the oven. These came out very similar to kings hawaiian rolls. I feel a bit more confident now that this might be the recipe I use on Thanksgiving day.

·
Premium Member
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,074
They look good! You can freeze those right now and use them later. By just heating them up in the oven.

·
Premium Member
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,075
So like I said earlier, I cooked one thing at a time and ate it that way today since it was rich. I had the scalloped potatoes earlier and then I just had the pork chops with nothing on the side. I'm wanting a Coke Zero real bad just because of that rich stuff I think but if I drink it this late, I'll be jumpy and not go to sleep right. Now I wish I had some fruit juice at least. Maybe an Emergen-C will suffice. It's citrusy.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
They look good! You can freeze those right now and use them later. By just heating them up in the oven.
Too late. We ate more than half of them already. Whoops.

I think it would be a dream to just cook and eat whatever I felt like instead of focusing on making full meals for my H and kids. When my H isn't here I am definitely less structured for myself.

I am starting on the sweet potato casseroles for Thanksgiving already, so I had about two dozen sweet potatoes slow roasting in the oven for a few hours. I stole two of them for the kids dinner, and served them broccoli and leftover chicken along with it, and the dinner rolls. For myself I had half a sweet potato and three pieces of broccoli, plus half a roll to test them out. Then I ate two more of the rolls later when putting them away. It was actually the perfect dinner as far as I am concerned.

·
Premium Member
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,077
Sounds good. I'm wanting some sweet potato casserole.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Feeling a bit better today, so I attempted my dinner rolls again. This time they came out a lot better. I added more flour and kneaded the dough longer this time. I brushed them with honey butter when they came out of the oven. These came out very similar to kings hawaiian rolls. I feel a bit more confident now that this might be the recipe I use on Thanksgiving day.

Now those are some pretty, pretty buns. Mmmmmmmmm 🤤

1061 - 1080 of 1155 Posts