Talk About Marriage banner

961 - 980 of 1015 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #961
If you like soft cornbread stuffing, the main thing is to add plenty of chicken broth or turkey broth. Before you bake it you want it to be sloppy.

I spent some time and created a cheat recipe that is still very similar to my mom's old family recipe but a lot easier and uses boxed cornbread stuffing and soup.

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #962
I got up and made a bacon and swiss cheese omelette. Then I had homemade pimento cheese sandwich. I have some leftover spaghetti for later. And then I'll have to decide whether to take out or cook for the next couple of days.

Reactions: starrider

·
Premium Member
7,853 Posts
Chiming in too. When I used to make stuffing, I made cornbread from yellow cornmeal the night before I started putting it together. It has a different texture (a coarse grain or something?) than Jiffy mix does. Unfortunately, I no longer have the recipe. It was my grandmother’s and got lost in one of our moves before I learned to save recipes on my iPad. I remember sage and poultry seasoning and one other spice in it. Celery. Sweet onion. Eggs. Chicken stock. Maybe butter. Maybe cream of chicken soup. After it was all mixed together, it sat in the refrigerator for 12-24 hours before baking. It wasn’t the type stuffing that’s cut into squares with gravy on top — this was the moist type that’s very soft. And even better the next day.

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #964
Don't use sweet cornbread.

If you really need a couple of recipes, I could get my family recipe out and then the one that I made up that's a lot easier.

But only if you like soft dressing. I know it just depends on your locale and what you ate growing up. I can't stand the chunky stuff.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
@notmyjamie - Please chime in and let me in on your stuffing knowledge. I really want to get this right for once in my life. I used to make cornbread stuffing using Jiffy mix. It was okay, but honestly I think it needed lots of improvement.

Stuffing is one of those things I love but rarely eat. And I'm obviously desperate if I'd resort to Stove Top mixes!
In reading your description of making it, it sounds like you’re adding too much broth too fast probably. Add a little at a time, stir it up, add a little more, stir it up etc until you reach the consistency you want.

my other advice is to use fresh herbs and spices instead of dried. I add sautéd onions and celery to mine as well. I’m a Yank so no cornbread stuff for me on Thanksgiving, but I make a quick one for a pork chop dinner...sauté apples, celery and onions in the fat of a few pieces of bacon. Add the broken up cornbread and mix up. I do this slowly as well so I don’t add so much it gets dry. You can add fresh Sage and Thyme as well.

For Thanksgiving I use the packaged dried bread...if I use anything else my family revolts...very picky eaters.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
What I'm ultimately looking for is a moist dressing that has a bit of "crunch" on the top layer. Okay, now that I've beaten the subject of stuffing to death, maybe we can talk Thanksgiving protein. The only time I actually enjoyed eating turkey was the year my husband prepared it in the deep fat fryer. Dang, that was good bird.

So for all of you who aren't that into turkey, what do you serve for the official T-giving meal?

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
What I'm ultimately looking for is a moist dressing that has a bit of "crunch" on the top layer. Okay, now that I've beaten the subject of stuffing to death, maybe we can talk Thanksgiving protein. The only time I actually enjoyed eating turkey was the year my husband prepared it in the deep fat fryer. Dang, that was good bird.

So for all of you who aren't that into turkey, what do you serve for the official T-giving meal?
Chicken!! And I make fabulous and various veggie sides.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
We do turkey because my whole family would basically revolt if we didn't. I've always wanted to try deep frying but the fryer and oil seem overwhelming to me, so I never did. I just cook mine at 400 for the first 20 mins to crisp up the skin, then set it down to 325 for the rest of the time to make sure it doesn't get tough. Turkey isn't really my favorite either but it does come out good.

Depending on how many you have to cook for, a whole chicken would be fine or even cornish hens? Pork would also pair well with all of the same traditional Thanksgiving sides!

Honestly though, if it was just me, I'd make the sides only and skip the protein entirely because the sides are all I really want anyway.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
One of the local breweries I like has finally canned their Oktoberfest beer so I had to grab a six pack. All of the Oktoberfest celebrations around here were cancelled this year due to covid. I love a good soft pretzel, so I made soft pretzels and other snacks along with beer cheese dip for dinner.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
@kag123 - I am of like mind. I think I might really indulge myself this year and forgo the protein entirely. The sides are what make T-giving worthwhile for me.

The soft pretzel looks delicious!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Today my dinner was a snack sized bag of cheez-its I found in the bottom of my purse, which I ate in the car while waiting for my kid to finish basketball.

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
I've been 'clean eating' recently, so meals have been large salads with grilled chicken, steamed vegetables with chicken or turkey, different kind of salad with turkey burger pattie (without the bun), scrambled egg whites, berries, apples, snacking on vegetables, etc. Anyway... feeling GREAT!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Tonight I made a homemade chicken tetrazzini for dinner. I used an whole chicken so it made a large pan. We'll have leftovers tomorrow. I like pimentos in mine.

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #975
I've been 'clean eating' recently, so meals have been large salads with grilled chicken, steamed vegetables with chicken or turkey, different kind of salad with turkey burger pattie (without the bun), scrambled egg whites, berries, apples, snacking on vegetables, etc. Anyway... feeling GREAT!
My idea of clean eating is eating everything left over that isn't really a meal anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #976
I had shrimp sauteed in whisky bbq sauce until it stuck over rice I took out of a frozen meal since last time I ordered the rice packet I want, they haven't sent it. That was good, though.

Here's what not to eat. I made a salad with good leftover ranch from a restaurant and wanted some cheese in it, so I wanted to use up a little bleu cheese had leftover from a fruit salad and stuck it in there. Yeah, no. Now I'm eating around it.

What I really wanted was a chicken wrap made with Caesar salad and I was looking at the places whose Caesar salad I like, but they didn't have wraps. It has to be good Caesar salad dressing.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
I made a pot of chili yesterday since fall is finally in the air and it's cooling off. And it's spicy, but not too over the top. It's nothing special, but it didn't really disappoint.

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #979
That's the good part about coming home visiting from college!

Reactions: notmyjamie

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Yup...yesterday she requested Chipotle. The one and only other time I ate there I got food poisoning...really bad food poisoning. LOL But...we stopped and had lunch it was so nice to have her all to myself for a bit before I had to share her with my exH. And thankfully, there was no e coli on it this time!!

961 - 980 of 1015 Posts