Talk About Marriage banner

941 - 960 of 1005 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I made a big pot of vegetable beef soup with Mexican cornbread for Sunday dinner. Having the leftovers for lunch this week, until I get tired of it.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #945
I just finally got through my huge pot of beef stew with tomato juice base yesterday. It was good, but it was a lot for one person to get through. Adding red wine gave it a beautiful color.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #950
Yum, Kag!

I had been craving a Jersey Mike's Sub all week and they had been remodeling but I'm sitting in my car and I did curbside service and I'm just sitting out front eating one now. Number 13 Italian sub Mike's way. Nacho cheese Doritos.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
@kag123 - Your photos are much appreciated! I don't know if CharlieParker is on a temporary or permanent break from TAM, but your photos rival his - and he posted some gorgeous photos. What kind of soup is in the bread bowls?

Reactions: DownByTheRiver

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
@kag123 - Your photos are much appreciated! I don't know if CharlieParker is on a temporary or permanent break from TAM, but your photos rival his - and he posted some gorgeous photos. What kind of soup is in the bread bowls?
Thank you so much! I definitely don't think I'm anywhere near as talented as CharlieParker. I'm just a mom with a tiny kitchen and a phone camera lol.

The soup was chicken and dumplings. :) It was a little heavy to be paired with the bread bowls, next time I'll go with a lighter choice. I hadn't made the bread bowls before so I was worried how they would hold up to a soup that was thinner. But, they had a crusty exterior so they would be perfect for any soup really. :)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Yesterday, we had Chik-Fil-A. I just couldn't bring myself to cook.

Today, we had Thanksgiving-lite. Only because I had a whole Turkey in the freezer that was at its expiration point and it was this, or throw it away. I still didn't feel like cooking so we did stovetop stuffing (gross, do not recommend), canned cranberry sauce and bagged rolls.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
BF made seared pork chops, roasted potatoes and carrots tonight and it was SO good!!! For the first time in months I can smell and fully taste again and I was in heaven. No, I don’t have Covid...just horrible allergies...started a new med this week and it’s working!! Thank God!!!

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
I still didn't feel like cooking so we did stovetop stuffing (gross, do not recommend),
I've eaten my fair share of Stove Top stuffing mix, although it is a fat/sodium bomb. I have done everything I can to make decent stuffing for YEARS. No matter what I do, it tastes like crap. The consistency is always dry-as-dust or gloppy. If you care to share any homemade stuffing tips, I'd certainly appreciate it. I don't eat turkey. Just don't care for it. But stuffing and cranberry sauce? Yeah, I can eat plenty of that!

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I've eaten my fair share of Stove Top stuffing mix, although it is a fat/sodium bomb. I have done everything I can to make decent stuffing for YEARS. No matter what I do, it tastes like crap. The consistency is always dry-as-dust or gloppy. If you care to share any homemade stuffing tips, I'd certainly appreciate it. I don't eat turkey. Just don't care for it. But stuffing and cranberry sauce? Yeah, I can eat plenty of that!
No one in my immediate family eats stuffing except for me, so I only make my homemade stuffing once a year on Thanksgiving. I love the stuff even though its horrible for you. :)

I like traditional stuffing. The key is to use a good mix of different types of bread (I like to use a mix of honey whole wheat, potato bread, italian and cranberry bread...all is found sliced at my local grocery store). I never use the premade bread cubes that are sold around Thanksgiving. I find them to be too dry. I lay the bread slices flat on baking sheets and bake at 300 degrees until they are dry and lightly toasted. Then cube them into a big mixing bowl.

I cut up 2 cups of sweet onions and 2 cups of celery and sauteed them in a pan until golden. Add to the bowl with the bread.

1 large handful of fresh spices, chopped. I like rosemary, thyme and sage. Add to the bowl with the bread.

1 stick of salted butter, melted. Pour over the bread mixture.

4-6 cups of good quality chicken broth (I like homemade). How much you use depends on how wet you want your stuffing. I begin pouring about a cup at a time, then stir until it gets to the consistency I like.

After you feel good about the consistency, I whip two eggs in a small bowl, then add to the bread mixture and stir. I also add a good bit of pepper and some salt.

Spoon into baking dish. You can either bake right away or you can wrap it and keep in fridge for a few days until ready to use. I actually think it tastes better if you let it sit for a day or two before baking.

Bake at 350 for an hour. After the first 20 minutes, start mixing it around as the top will begin to brown. I like those crunchy bits from the top to be scattered through the whole pan, so I mix 2-3 times through the baking process.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
@kag123 - Thank you so much for providing the instructions! I only eat stuffing once a year, and I will definitely follow your instructions. I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I use homemade turkey broth...I make it each year after Thanksgiving and then freeze it for the next year. Adds SO much flavor to the stuffing.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
@notmyjamie - Please chime in and let me in on your stuffing knowledge. I really want to get this right for once in my life. I used to make cornbread stuffing using Jiffy mix. It was okay, but honestly I think it needed lots of improvement.

Stuffing is one of those things I love but rarely eat. And I'm obviously desperate if I'd resort to Stove Top mixes!

941 - 960 of 1005 Posts