Talk About Marriage banner

821 - 840 of 917 Posts

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
I used to make those thin cut boneless pork chops. I fried them for about about two minutes per side and they were edible. However, I've encountered the challenge of getting a thick chop (bone-in) to remain tender. I have to pan fry them until they're still a little pink. Other than that, I've ended up with chewy, dry chops. I guess the alternative is to dump them in a slow cooker with sauce and let them break down until they're tender.

When I was a kid, my mom would cook the hell out of pork chops. So they were tender. Unfortunately, they were accompanied with canned vegetables (yuck!) and a wedge of iceberg lettuce (double yuck). That's what we contended with as children of the 60's ....

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #822 (Edited)
I used to make those thin cut boneless pork chops. I fried them for about about two minutes per side and they were edible. However, I've encountered the challenge of getting a thick chop (bone-in) to remain tender. I have to pan fry them until they're still a little pink. Other than that, I've ended up with chewy, dry chops. I guess the alternative is to dump them in a slow cooker with sauce and let them break down until they're tender.

When I was a kid, my mom would cook the hell out of pork chops. So they were tender. Unfortunately, they were accompanied with canned vegetables (yuck!) and a wedge of iceberg lettuce (double yuck). That's what we contended with as children of the 60's ....
We must have shared the same mother. Back then you fried everything pretty much. and the grocery store was pretty far away so we relied on a lot of canned goods.

I made some good fried pork chops recently that were regular thickness, maybe a half an inch or a little more. You make a dredge out of about 4 tablespoons flour, 2 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons pepper and two tablespoons Lawry seasoning.
Then you just fry them over mediumand flip them and put the cover on for a little while to be sure they get done through. They were nice and moist and flavored really nice. Use good pork loin chops. I just don't like any pork chops except for pork loin or butterfly or tenderloin. It's just not like steak we're just about every cut is good. It's too sinewy.

Reactions: Prodigal

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #824
I've ordered Panera Bread for later. They finally put the salad I like back on the menu, temporarily -- but they removed the sandwich I like again. They have done this for years and I hate them for it. So I'm getting the half salad chicken bbq and trying the veg soup.

Reactions: karole

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Talking about pork chops - the only kind I will buy pre-cut are the bone-in ones from Costco. They are cut about 2" thick. I put cover them in spices and rub in olive oil, then throw them on the grill for about 4 minutes a side. They are delicious and never tough! I take them off the grill when they are still slightly pink in the center, and let them rest on a plate for about 4-5 minutes before cutting into them.

If I can't use my grill, I cook them in a cast iron pan on the stove. Sear both sides, then put the whole pan in a 450 degree oven until finished.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #827
Eating it right now. It has two dressings, the basic apple cider vinegar dressing that is invisible and then a small bit of bbq dressing. It's the only thing resembling a creamy dressing they ever do, and I prefer creamy dressings, though I do really like their fuji apple salad and the apple dressing that is on it. Otherwise, it has chicken and some small amount of corn chips I guess it is (small pieces) and some grilled corn and a black bean or two.

The 10-veg soup tastes good. The vegs in it are largely unidentifiable except for tomato. I think there's a little kale in it and some red pepper and not much I can really identify.

Honestly, the thing I usually enjoy the most if the side of french baguette. Theirs is very good tasting.

Reactions: C.C. says ...

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I'm still not feeling great. My nerves are shot from a bad week last week and a busy weekend. So, I haven't been eating much or being very creative with meals...just whatever keeps the family fed. ( I always make meals whether I want to eat or not, but when I don't eat my husband always gets annoyed. I still sit with the family for dinner when I am not too sick to do so. )

Since our prime tomato season is quickly coming to an end here, I've been grabbing boxes of seconds anytime I see them at the farm stands I frequent. I found hatch chiles at the store (rare find here) and decided to do a batch of salsa with them today. They weren't as spicy as I remember - wondering if the spice/heat will develop as it sits and melds together? It came out similar to restaurant salsa...the stuff that you inevitably eat 2-3 bowls of with the chips at the mexican restaurants. It's good!

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #830
I'm still not feeling great. My nerves are shot from a bad week last week and a busy weekend. So, I haven't been eating much or being very creative with meals...just whatever keeps the family fed. ( I always make meals whether I want to eat or not, but when I don't eat my husband always gets annoyed. I still sit with the family for dinner when I am not too sick to do so. )

Since our prime tomato season is quickly coming to an end here, I've been grabbing boxes of seconds anytime I see them at the farm stands I frequent. I found hatch chiles at the store (rare find here) and decided to do a batch of salsa with them today. They weren't as spicy as I remember - wondering if the spice/heat will develop as it sits and melds together? It came out similar to restaurant salsa...the stuff that you inevitably eat 2-3 bowls of with the chips at the mexican restaurants. It's good!

Your recipe, please! I like the blended salsa. I bet it does get a little hotter. Looks like you left the seeds in?

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #831
I am getting an aerogarden. I wanted most to raise poblanos, but it's a real tall plant and I don't have a place for it. I had one of the aerogardens some years ago and at that time they needed to be by a window but now the lights are sufficient, so I said I wouldn't have another one unless it was right by the sink where I can just use the sink sprayer to fill it up. Because they use an awful lot of water, and I just can't get up and down and around easy enough to be running pitchers of water twice a day.

But they didn't have serranos either, which I like second best, so I am doing jalapenos. I prefer serranos in my guac, but jalapenos will do and are good in other dips. I think I'll do cherry tomatoes too. I don't eat them, but can toss them in soup or beans and use them in guac or pasta. I'm going to do lettuce so I have something to put on sandwiches, just one variety, I imagine. Tempted to do a lot of different ones, but got to pick and choose. I am not real big on leafy lettuce salads overall anyway. I like at least some crispy in there. And a couple of herbs I use a lot, thyme and rosemary. It will be fun.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I ended up ordering pizza instead of getting the beef wif bwoccowi I wanted. Dominos. That was a weird transistion too to be thinking of one and then you’re eating another. I was expecting it to be one of those times where they made my **** all haphazardly and it wouldn’t be so good. It was the no contact thing so I figured I’d tip 20% because it has a box for that and I ordered online. Usually I’d tip them more because hey... there’re standing in my face 🥴 and I feel bad, and they do deserve it for driving around all day. I’d hate that.

But I figured it would probably suck anyway.

Nope. It was soooo good. Perfection. I got a thin crust pepperoni and extra cheese and the crust was so flaky and delicious, it felt almost like a fried tortilla. I also got a jalapeño and extra cheese, different crust. Wowww they did it up on the jalapeños. Fantastic. I got hot wings too and they didn’t forget the ranch!

The driver on their way down the stairs was like “you’re welcome thank you for your order have a nice day!” :) like a decent person!

I really wish I would’ve tipped him more. 😐

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
CC, I'm thinking on the chops I'll stick with the small recipe and just do two chops and one potato since it breaks too much in the microwave (and in general). But yeah, the cream is working better but only until you microwave it. I think the soup probably made it a more cohesive dish.

Here's an easy pork chop recipe I've used for decades.
Preheat oven to 475. That's real hot, so get it started because the dish throws together in nothing flat.
Use a 3 qt casserole preferably with tight lid (but double tight tin foil if no lid). 3-4 good pork chops (3 if they're huge like everything is these days), either bone in or not (Pork loin or butterfly chops).
1 box Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice , which comes with packets inside.
1 jar pimientos (small)
1 packet dry onion soup mix. I prefer Lipton for this if you can find it.

Put everything but chops in the casserole and add as much boiling water as the box calls for for the rice and stir.
Put the uncooked chops on top. They will overlap. It's okay.

Bake 475 for 45 minutes. Be sure the lid is tight to cook the rice. If you open it and see it's still watery, either let sit or cook awhile longer. If the lid is tight, it should be done. The rice will raise up all around the chops.
So I am going to make this tonight. I have the really thick chops from Costco (1” probably). Can I do this in a 9 x 13 Pyrex with double foil? Any other adjustments I would need to make? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #834
It would work better in a 8x8 or 9x9 because you want some depth. It's not a huge recipe so I think the 13-in pan would be too big. I make mine in a deep casserole, but I think an eight by eight or nine by nine would work

Reactions: Spicy

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
@CharlieParker - You might want to check out Nelson's Meat & Fish up on Indian School Road. The hours of operation are rather short, but they have the freshest of the fresh. I get emails from them on a regular basis, letting me know their inventory. When COVID becomes less of an issue, I'm planning a pilgrimage just so I can buy their fresh seafood.

Reactions: CharlieParker
821 - 840 of 917 Posts