Talk About Marriage banner

381 - 400 of 574 Posts

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #381
We used to have a number of Albertson's in my area before they went back home. Nice chain. Now we're mostly Kroger dominated with a few independent stores here and there.
My Albertson's is actually owned by Tom Thumb now. It's just the one, but it was such an established store that they left the name.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
I don't think I've heard of Tom Thumb before.

·
Registered
13,849 Posts
I like mine with lettuce and tomato, Heinz 57 and french fried potatoes

That line inspired my Instagram handle. But I only use 57 to top meatloaf. On song lyrics, I need to get “an Albertsons stir fry dinner”.

Took my camera out for the first time here, may have to put the “dinner” lens on tonight.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #384
Outlaw, do you have Safeway there? Because at least online, it's also Tom Thumb but called different things depending on the market and how familiar people are, but all under the same umbrella, at least in some places.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
@DownByTheRiver, we don't have any here, but there's always that possibility. We used to have a lot more variety than a Kroger or independent before they either went out of business a long, long time ago (Jitney Jungle, Sack and Save) or just went back home (Albertson's). We're limited one what we have down here, but not in short supply at all.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #387
Well, if you can only have one, Kroger's a good one.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
I don't dislike Kroger at all. They've got harder to find items that aren't available at most retailers.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
@DownByTheRiver, we don't have any here, but there's always that possibility. We used to have a lot more variety than a Kroger or independent before they either went out of business a long, long time ago (Jitney Jungle, Sack and Save) or just went back home (Albertson's). We're limited one what we have down here, but not in short supply at all.
Wait, you had grocery stores named:
Jitney JUNGLE
Sack and Save
?
That's very funny.....

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Ha but why jungle? Did they have a jungle themed grocery store?
Not sure. They dated back to 1919 when they were in business. Names seemed to be more creative then.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
The usual. Had to divert from my plans - again. I just don’t see any slider burgers or turkey sloppy joe in my future. Something just goes wrong. Blah.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
All we have here besides the Walmart grocery stores (which I detest) is Kroger and Publix, and one independently owned grocery store. I usually end up going to all three because Kroger has wild-caught fresh seafood and a few things I can't find anywhere else; Publix because it is more convenient (on my way home); however, it is more expensive than Kroger on most items. I go to the locally owned grocery store because they have a fantastic butcher and meat department. None of the other grocery stores compare to their meat quality.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Thawed out some chili during a hot summer day (just not too hot) of all days that I made about two months ago. Two months allowed for the absolute perfect blend of all the spices to finally come together and it's like a taste of heaven. About to really delve it.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #398
I don't dislike Kroger at all. They've got harder to find items that aren't available at most retailers.
Before Covid, Kroger is mostly where I shopped, but they have sucked really bad on the fill during Covid for parking lot pickup. Really bad. I like the fruit (best watermelon) and bakery better at Albertson's, as well. They have hidden treasures there, even though they are somewhat more expensive for in-store purchases. But with delivery or pickup, I find I get so many special deals and freebies (like a free pizza the type I normally buy) that it makes up for it. I had $4 off the last order from reward points. So it seems higher, but the rewards are good. Their meat is better, even though they don't have a meat counter like Kroger does. It is expensive, but it's better.

I'm about to make a parking lot pickup order for Central Market (our HEB version gourmet store/bakery) and that will be a treat. I'm going to do it for the red snapper and make blackened snapper with pico de gallo and have vegs or a cucumber salad with it. Boy, I've been hooked on the cucumber sweet onion salads this summer. So easy and refreshing. I traditionally make the blackened fish with gingered carrots with yellow squash, but cucumber salad sounds just as good and a little easier. I wish I didn't have to work today and I'd go ahead and get that rolling. They have a grape blue cheese salad I love, but I have the recipe for it and making it fresh is better. My other favorite at Central Market is Breakfast Bread. I love it. It's good just sliced plain or toasted plain or if you want to get crazy, pan toasted with butter. And it keeps a long time because of all the fruit in it. It has the turbanado sugar on top, but some years ago, some health nuts nagged them to stop putting it on there, and so for 2 years it wasn't very good anymore. It needs that. I nagged them into putting it back on there :). Another way I am a Karen.

Reactions: The Outlaw

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
I know a Karen that works at my Kroger. I heard her scream to the top of my lungs early one morning while I was outside pulling an order and I was a far away and the door was still closed. Then she got into an argument with a Coca Cola driver and threatened to call the cops on him. I'll shop my Kroger before I shop locally but mine needs to come with a warning label.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
Okay, I have the ingredients to make 'cottage pie' this weekend. Normally I'd call this 'shepherd's pie' which isn't right; as that's with lamb and an Irish dish. Whereas this is with beef and an English dish. I'm just used to incorrectly saying shepherd's pie. Anyway, here's a photo from the past when I've made it. It will be similar to this again, but I've got green beans at the ready as a side dish. Yes, I shall be cooking. Huzzah!

381 - 400 of 574 Posts