Talk About Marriage banner

361 - 380 of 574 Posts

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #361
Karole, you know, I do have terrible food habits but chips wasn't one of them. I can literally eat just one! Unless I make dip. But yeah, got the habit now, that's for sure. That salty is just so good with sandwiches.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Tonight is gonna be a very simple dinner. We don't feel like spending a lot of time in the kitchen so we bought these Tyson breaded chicken breast fillets that I just take out of the bag and lay in a cast iron skillet and put in the oven on 425 degrees for about 20 minutes. I turn them about half way through. When their done i turn the oven off and lay a slice of american cheese on them if anyone wants cheese. I put a bit of mayo on a hamburger bun and whatever else you want lettuce or dill pickles and viola. We are going to have a baked potato with all the fixings, chives, bacon bits, shredded cheddar and sour cream. Simple but delicious.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #363
That's sure a beautiful horse, Starrider. Love the markings. Nothing prettier than a herd of horses.

Reactions: starrider

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #364
Well, mostly out of covid boredom, I have been looking online at air fryers and multicookers. I am tempted by those type that are also a toaster oven because I use mine a lot, BUT mine still works just fine.

But after looking up stuff I'd want to cook in an air fryer, I found out no battered foods. I hardly ever make the type fried foods like fries or anything, but I would want to do onion strings, and that's a batter. Also tempura shrimp, and that's a batter, so I guess an air fryer won't do me much good. I don't fry much because if you use oil, what do you do with it once you're finished? I hate throwing it out but you have to, I guess. I keep bacon grease forever, and I guess could put oil in a jar for similar type food use, but not use it for the shrimp, like that. Anyway, I did do thin onion rings in a skillet once out of leeks and they were good. But takes a long time to get it all done with a shallow pan that doesn't use as much oil. Still, I think I'll try an onion ring recipe for strings that uses blackened seasoning just in the cast iron skillet soon.

I was also looking at Instant Pot pressure cookers and it's not like I need one because I have plenty of home time to do slow roasting just in a Dutch oven. But I'm still tempted.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Well, mostly out of covid boredom, I have been looking online at air fryers and multicookers. I am tempted by those type that are also a toaster oven because I use mine a lot, BUT mine still works just fine.

But after looking up stuff I'd want to cook in an air fryer, I found out no battered foods. I hardly ever make the type fried foods like fries or anything, but I would want to do onion strings, and that's a batter. Also tempura shrimp, and that's a batter, so I guess an air fryer won't do me much good. I don't fry much because if you use oil, what do you do with it once you're finished? I hate throwing it out but you have to, I guess. I keep bacon grease forever, and I guess could put oil in a jar for similar type food use, but not use it for the shrimp, like that. Anyway, I did do thin onion rings in a skillet once out of leeks and they were good. But takes a long time to get it all done with a shallow pan that doesn't use as much oil. Still, I think I'll try an onion ring recipe for strings that uses blackened seasoning just in the cast iron skillet soon.

I was also looking at Instant Pot pressure cookers and it's not like I need one because I have plenty of home time to do slow roasting just in a Dutch oven. But I'm still tempted.
I make battered foods in my air fryer. I do battered chicken all the time. You have to lightly spray each side with some type of oil but just a small coating will do. It's great on super hot days because it doesn't heat up the house and I can still make chicken cutlets.

My daughter had all 4 wisdom teeth out today. It's smoothies for dinner tonight!!!!!

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #367
Good to know battered can be done.

Wow, four. She will be doped up or wishing she was. That cold smoothies may be too much for her. I always get throat freeze real bad, but I love smoothies.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Thanks for the tips...she knows she can't have a straw and she's been slowly spooning a milkshake that her boyfriend brought her. "It's so cold...now my tongue needs a blanket!!!" LOL...anesthesia is fun. She's currently lying on his chest, fast asleep, drooling all over him. He's taking very good care of her. Nice kid.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #369
Oh, the drool. I can't imagine how it would be with four teeth!!!! Poor girl.

Reactions: notmyjamie

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #371
I never have been one of those who likes Heinz 57, but he people who do really do!

Reactions: The Outlaw

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
The chicken is bland. Fries are good since I spiked them with a little cayenne pepper. But good is good.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Watch out for small seeds from berries, and no straws! Learned that the hard way...
Hadn't thought of that as I'm allergic so never eat berries but they gave her a small syringe to use to gently clean out the sockets so nothing gets stuck in there.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
Just made a batch of shrimp ceviche, which will chill for 24 hours to let the flavors meld. Scraping kernels off corn to make homemade creamed corn for tonight. Chopped up some of the veggies that will go in gazpacho for tomorrow. Also in the process of making a blueberry/lemon/ricotta cake in cast iron.

I need to make a batch of dry rub and taco seasoning too, so this is going to be a two day cook-a-thon. I'm inside until next week when I go to the store again, so it's a good time to get all this done.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #375
That all sounds great! Love this time of year for the fresh corn, but I can't get any good corn because of doing parking lot pickup. Last time I ordered it, they sent me frozen and it was mushy and had to throw it out. Also, I hate the bicolor corn. I like old fashioned big juicy yellow corn and can't usually find it.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
That all sounds great! Love this time of year for the fresh corn, but I can't get any good corn because of doing parking lot pickup. Last time I ordered it, they sent me frozen and it was mushy and had to throw it out. Also, I hate the bicolor corn. I like old fashioned big juicy yellow corn and can't usually find it.
That's a bummer!!! I love fresh, yellow and white corn, which is what is mostly grown around here. I wouldn't trust a store shopper to get it for me though. Any outside farm stands nearby you could get it from? We have a lot of those around here. Much safer to shop there than in a store.

Just made a batch of shrimp ceviche, which will chill for 24 hours to let the flavors meld. Scraping kernels off corn to make homemade creamed corn for tonight. Chopped up some of the veggies that will go in gazpacho for tomorrow. Also in the process of making a blueberry/lemon/ricotta cake in cast iron.

I need to make a batch of dry rub and taco seasoning too, so this is going to be a two day cook-a-thon. I'm inside until next week when I go to the store again, so it's a good time to get all this done.
I love spending a day cooking up a ton of stuff and then having easy meal choices for the week. Sounds like you're getting a lot done!

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #377
That's a good idea about the outdoor stands. Not sure I'll be out where there are any anytime soon, and guessing the corn won't be yellow or we'd have more of it in the stores. Albertson's had it once but not lately.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
We used to have a number of Albertson's in my area before they went back home. Nice chain. Now we're mostly Kroger dominated with a few independent stores here and there.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
@notmyjamie - Have you ever tried Silver Queen corn? Three things I miss about Maryland: Silver Queen corn in the summer, Chesapeake Bay blue crabs, and fresh-shucked oysters.

The corn was the best I've ever eaten. It only needed to be in boiling water for 30-45 seconds. Sweet, tiny kernels that were sheer heaven! Not to be found in the desert, thus the creamed corn I'm making for dinner.

Reactions: starrider

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
@notmyjamie - Have you ever tried Silver Queen corn? Three things I miss about Maryland: Silver Queen corn in the summer, Chesapeake Bay blue crabs, and fresh-shucked oysters.

The corn was the best I've ever eaten. It only needed to be in boiling water for 30-45 seconds. Sweet, tiny kernels that were sheer heaven! Not to be found in the desert, thus the creamed corn I'm making for dinner.
Never even heard of it!!! I'm in MA...been to Maryland a bunch as my exH is from there so maybe I've had it without realizing but I had very little home cooking when I went there so probably not. Don't ask. LOL

361 - 380 of 574 Posts