Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last year and a half, I'm down from 212 to 175 and heading to 170. Waist has gone from 38 to 32. Shirts from XL to L.

So what to do with the fat clothes...I'm something of a pack rat so part of me says, keep them just in case;

While, the other part says get them the hell out of here so there's no going back. Kinda like cutting all the lifeboats loose so the crew has to stay on board to save the ship.

A bunch of suits have to be tailored...but maybe just get new ones? I'm thinking they won't look right anyhow after the fixes.

Anyone else been thru this? What did you do?

Any psychologists out there who can offer an opinion. What would you do?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Buy new clothes that fit well and admire yourself in them. It is okay to be a little vain and enjoy the hard work. It can also help with reinforcement in terms of self-esteem.

Also, if you make it a lifestyle of new behavior and habits, eventually this will be close to your norm.

I suggest donating your old clothes as well.

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
First off congrats! What a wonderful feeling.

See if there is an organization that donates men clothes for those who are in need of jobs. I donate all of my clothes to the battered women's shelter because they will need nice clothes to get a job. Perhaps you can do the same?

Buy new clothes. You've earned it and they'll fit properly.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Never keep the fat clothes as a "just in case" don't do it! I think the message you are sending yourself is that your new size is just temporary. You need to feel a bit of panic if your current size starts to feel snug. It will give you incentive to keep at your healthy new lifestyle.

Donate the old ones! Being a pack rat is just another way of holding on to too much. So get rid of all that stuff. You'll feel so much better.

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
Buy new clothes that fit well and admire yourself in them. It is okay to be a little vain and enjoy the hard work. It can also help with reinforcement in terms of self-esteem.

Also, if you make it a lifestyle of new behavior and habits, eventually this will be close to your norm.

I suggest donating your old clothes as well.
Or hand them to a consignment shop. Some of them will welcome larger sizes. And they're usually small businesses run by women.....

If you still want to do something for charity, you could then hand over the money you made from consignment to your favourite charity.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
After all that hard work you deserve a new wardrobe, isn't that half the point of getting in shape? Give the old ones to the local Op Shop and hit the mid year sales.

Well done

·
Registered
254 Posts
lol I'm a psychologist who keeps most of his fat clothes just in case.

But I second donating them to charity. They're always in need of clothing of good make and quality.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
19,268 Posts
Been there.

Donate them.

Dynamite the bridge behind you because you're never going back to that place.

Right?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Been there myself...

I donated many

Gave away almost 50 pairs of carhart work pants to some crew members...they were happy.

Went from 295+ to 170 now.

Feels weird for a while huh?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks! Fat wardrobe is off to the Salvation Army shelter. Packed up all my cares and woes too, Cathartic actually.

·
Banned
588 Posts

·
Registered
6,872 Posts
I went from 190s to under 170 for awhile after my divorce - had gotten many new clothes that fit at that size, but have slowly been gaining back to my "adult" weight and I'm glad I never threw away some of them. My problem is I'm truly caught between medium and large, and my old large clothes (of which some I'm wearing again) are the only clothes I have that actually fit properly - my medium size shirts from last summer are just too tight, and clothes shopping is always painfully fruitless since I can't afford to tailor every garment I own, and new items in large are all too big on me (maybe my old ones are shrunk a bit?)

If you have some fat clothes you are still fond of then keep them, but if you have negative memories associated with anything just get rid of it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.