Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Once again, I never gave it too much thought. All I cared about at the time was playing outside, climbing trees, fences and video games.

·
Premium Member
17,835 Posts
Folks actually cared about each other.

Reactions: OnTheFly

·
Registered
978 Posts
That adults are more mature than children are. It turns out that a lot of adults are not.
That I would have all the answers, that I would know where One-eyed Willie's treasure was, and that I would be doing DP on Samantha Fox and a Lamborghini (with my own resources). >:)

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
When I was small (5-6) I was intimidated by all the things that adults needed to do and know. Of course, I had only made it a third of the way to adulthood so that was a bit premature. It turns out that there's plenty of time to figure stuff out before you are on your own and even if you don't know something, you can ask questions and stuff because it turns out that life's tests are open book and often collaborative.

I also thought quicksand was going to be a bigger problem than it has turned out to be. People in the cartoons and old TV shows were always falling into the stuff.

I thought that the decisions that adults made would make sense on some level but they often don't.

(Small person misconception) I knew that some people had a hard time getting through life and making ends meet and whatnot and I just expected that everyone would be working together all the time to make sure no one was hungry or cold or lonely.

That you should give and would be given the benefit of the doubt when you were married to someone. To state that another way, it would not be assumed that you were neglectful if you forgot something, that you weren't malicious if you made a mistake, that you weren't an ******* for disagreeing on a decision, etc. I thought that if you were trying to do things to make your spouse happy or to make their life easier and more fun that you would get gentle guidance on what to do better or differently.

In a lot of TV shows someone losing their job is an ever-present threat and is a hugely stressful experience. In general, if someone is going to work on time and doing work while they are there, there have been few people I've worked with that have been fired or laid off.

I had expected children to be harder to deal with than they were. My girls are moving into their pre-teen and teen years now so they might be making up for lost time soon but, seriously, we just spent today watching Avatar: The Last Airbender, going to the planetarium, studying the math they'll be taking next year, and watching Spider-Man today. They're honestly much cooler to hang out with than my ex wife. I'll miss them terribly when they move out / on.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
That adults are more mature than children are. It turns out that a lot of adults are not.
That’s a big one for me. When I was a kid, I thought there was a huge difference between the mentality of children and adults, but I have found out differently.

I also though relationships were much easier, and I had a different idea of what women want. I always thought women were basically looking for a “good man” as my grandmother described it. I’ve found that runs a lot deeper.

·
Administrator
44,315 Posts
That’s a big one for me. When I was a kid, I thought there was a huge difference between the mentality of children and adults, but I have found out differently.

I also though relationships were much easier, and I had a different idea of what women want. I always thought women were basically looking for a “good man” as my grandmother described it. I’ve found that runs a lot deeper.
I'd say the same thing about women thinking that all men want is a "good woman". And of course it runs a lot deeper as well.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts

I'd say the same thing about women thinking that all men want is a "good woman". And of course it runs a lot deeper as well.
I’m sure it goes both ways. I just had no idea about any of the stuff discussed on this forum. I had no idea, for example, about beta/alpha and the “bad boy” thing. I had no idea people could fall out of love. I thought once two people were attracted to each other, which usually happens the first time at a young age, it was fairly simple after that as long as both people were mature adults. Apparently, I was really naive.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
All my conceptions were "mis".

Even now, I can't wrap my head around the need to feed youngsters so much BS.

Surely, there must be a better way to prepare kids for adulthood?

·
Registered
322 Posts
I thought the weather man on the news actually dictated weather, that I would be a professional athlete and I'd be a millionaire, simply by declaring the fact that it would happen. To go a step further, as an adolescent, I didn't realize how easy it would be to have sex with females and I'm glad I didn't find out until I was old enough to use judgement.

I realized as a freshman in college I didn't even have to try. All I had to do was be friendly and talk, listen to there problems or whatever.... offer some advice here and there...........and that was it. Nothing more. At least for me that was my experience and it never changed as I grew older.

Be a good listener, act indifferent, but engaged and considerate and in a matter of time, panties are coming off with near 100% certainty. I had REPEATED instances of females coming to my room in night gowns, self invited. This went against everything I saw and heard from older guys on how to go about it. I'm still surprised how easy it is even as an adult. Learned affirmation is extremely important for females and some men as well.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
That you had to be a genius to get into college and your odds of making it through were slim. Mostly due to a second grade teacher who wanted to inflate his own stock.

Surprised how many people here had such high opinions of adults. Then as now I think they're a bell curve that doesn't include anyone perfect.

I didn't think childhood was that much fun, I figured the real fun started when you got to make your own decisions. For me, that has worked out better than I expected.

PS- agree w/ @Hiner112 about quicksand. Funny stuff!

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I was raised to believe that nobody was better than anybody else because of their money or position. I believed people who thought they were better than others were just a small handful of people, but I’ve learned that the number of people who feel above others, for one reason or another. is a large number. It’s actually most people.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
That when I was an adult I would know everything there was to know - like my parents. What a downer when I discovered that my parents weren't all knowing. An even bigger downer was when I realized that learning was a lifetime endeavor (waaa, I'm gonna be in school forever!).

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
That you had to be a genius to get into college and your odds of making it through were slim. Mostly due to a second grade teacher who wanted to inflate his own stock.

Surprised how many people here had such high opinions of adults. Then as now I think they're a bell curve that doesn't include anyone perfect.

I didn't think childhood was that much fun, I figured the real fun started when you got to make your own decisions. For me, that has worked out better than I expected.

PS- agree w/ @Hiner112 about quicksand. Funny stuff!
Apparently, I grew up around a great group of adults. Not just my parents, but extended family as well. I thought everybody was like them. That’s why i had a high opinion of adults. As I got older, I discovered that was not the case.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts