Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hear a lot of people say, "I can't sing." Due to my situation, though, I wonder what really makes a good singer. Is singing really that difficult if a person really wanted to do it. Are some people's voice box just not suited for singing, or is it more of a mental thing?

My situation is this: I have never had a singing lesson in my life and wouldn't know a music note from any other scribble, but according to others, I can sing like nobody's business. I have always enjoyed music and do a lot of shower singing, but nothing professional. A few years ago, i agreed to sing a couple of songs at a show being put on for a high school because i am a teacher, and sometimes we just do things to try and entertain the kids.

They hired a guy who has a band and does shows every weekend, and they asked a few teachers to join in. After the performance, the guy said, "Wow, you sang better than i do and I've been doing this for 30 years." He even invited me to go with him and sing a few songs at his shows, which i declined.

That was it, from that point on, anytime singing is required, my principal always asks me, along with a few other teachers. We did another show the next year, and one lady at the school also has her own band and gets raves when she sings. I learned later that she asked the planners to put me on last because she said, "I just can't follow him."

I was recently asked to sing a patriotic song at a Veteran's Day
celebration, and once again, everyone was excited. The veterans came over afterwards and said that was the most moving rendition they had ever heard.

My daughter has told me many times, "Dad, you should go on American Idol, I'm serious."(I'm too old)

Ok, I know this sounds like bragging, but it's really not, after all, it's not like I'm going to collect a million dollars if i can convince somebody here that I can sing; it's more like an admission of puzzlement. What makes a good singer? Why is it i get all these great comments, and I have never aspired to be a singer, nor have I ever had a lesson. I just sing what I hear. If I'm doing a Roy Orbison song and there is a high part, then I just do it. If I'm singing a low song, then i just do it. I don't know how else to explain it.

Is singing more of a mental thing than a physical thing? Why do some people say they can't sing? If I can do it, I feel anyone can.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
I just finished covering a country music artist who came to my college to give a guest lecture.

The key is authenticity.
Then you need a good manager.
You need to know your market, and you need to sing in a style that appeals to your market. It's not always about being good, it's about making your audience FEEL good. Attention span of most audience today is about 3 minutes. Longer than that and it probably doesn't matter how good you are, you will lose attention of audience. It helps if you smile and are open and you move in a way that's natural. If you're moving in a way that's egocentric and not connecting with your audience (or looking up to connect to higher spirit) that's not good. You're wanting to be watched...you have to be willing to give attention focus onto the audience.

MOST DEFINITELY GO TO CONTESTS.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just finished covering a country music artist who came to my college to give a guest lecture.

The key is authenticity.
Then you need a good manager.
You need to know your market, and you need to sing in a style that appeals to your market. It's not always about being good, it's about making your audience FEEL good. Attention span of most audience today is about 3 minutes. Longer than that and it probably doesn't matter how good you are, you will lose attention of audience. It helps if you smile and are open and you move in a way that's natural. If you're moving in a way that's egocentric and not connecting with your audience (or looking up to connect to higher spirit) that's not good. You're wanting to be watched...you have to be willing to give attention focus onto the audience.

MOST DEFINITELY GO TO CONTESTS.
Thanks for the info. I have no intentions of trying to make any kind of career out of it, I was just interested in what makes a person "able" to sing; things like hitting high and low notes, always being on tune, and doing a song justice. I have no doubt that there are enough singers out thee that I wouldn't raise an eyebrow in the commercial world, basically because I'm not a performer. Getting people's attention on a national level is different than turning heads at the local festival.

I'm just puzzled as to why I have a good singing voice having never been trained and see no big deal with singing a song, while others, according to them, seem to have no ability.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
It takes one good PR person to hype the singer in question....

....and a coupe of million fools to believe it.

Reactions: humanbecoming
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.