Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Don't usually post on forums like these, but tonight it's looking like my marriage may be about to fail because of my own stupid behaviour. I would consider myself quite emotionally stable apart from one issue which my wife understandably hates. 2 times in our 7 year relationship (3 year marriage) I've bought expensive things without telling her, both around $1,500 worth.

A pretty big deal to be honest.

I haven't purchased anything since, but my business has been doing really well this last year and I decided to invest $3000 of the savings in the business into a medium risk investment which is doing quite well at the moment, but again without telling her.

She is very risk averse and would never have agreed to it which is why I didn't tell her. Now it's half way to breaking even again I mentioned it today, naively expecting her to be pleased with the investment.

She has flipped out (on reflection I can totally understand why) and is talking about moving out tomorrow.

I can't seem to break this pattern of spending/using money without telling her every few years. I love her to bits and other than this our relationship is great but it's destroying the trust we have.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Hi all.

Don't usually post on forums like these, but tonight it's looking like my marriage may be about to fail because of my own stupid behaviour. I would consider myself quite emotionally stable apart from one issue which my wife understandably hates. 2 times in our 7 year relationship (3 year marriage) I've bought expensive things without telling her, both around $1,500 worth.

A pretty big deal to be honest.

I haven't purchased anything since, but my business has been doing really well this last year and I decided to invest $3000 of the savings in the business into a medium risk investment which is doing quite well at the moment, but again without telling her.

She is very risk averse and would never have agreed to it which is why I didn't tell her. Now it's half way to breaking even again I mentioned it today, naively expecting her to be pleased with the investment.

She has flipped out (on reflection I can totally understand why) and is talking about moving out tomorrow.

I can't seem to break this pattern of spending/using money without telling her every few years. I love her to bits and other than this our relationship is great but it's destroying the trust we have.
So you are hiding things from her because you know she wouldn't approve, using marital funds to do so and then saying you love her to bits? Please explain.

·
Banned
294 Posts
That's dumb. You even made money on it. To want to divorce over something as simple as that is stupid to me. Marriages can have real problems like spouses cheating. Now that's a reason to end it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know it sounds really stupid. Other than this I think (and I know she does too) that I'm a really good husband. It's just something clicks inside me and I have to make the decision to spend the money there and then. The most stupid example was when I spent $1500 on a guitar, knowing full well she would be hacked off. I just drove down to the music shop and bought it. Got home and cried..

I packaged up this investment in my mind as I am pretty confident it will make the money back and I genuinely think it will give us a better future.

I know I shouldn't be doing this, I just have no idea why I am.

She is the best thing that has ever happened to me in my life and I am throwing our marriage away with stupid, self-destructive behaviour.

Quite understandably she now says she can't trust me. I would and have never lied to her about anything else. Every time it centres on my irresponsible attitude to money, 3 times in 7 years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I take your point Alex, but Therealbrighteyes has it spot on. I shouldn't be doing this stuff if I love her but something just clicks inside me and makes me do things like this. This investment hasn't left us penniless by the way, it's an amount the business could afford to lose worse case. It's more about the issue that she can't trust me.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
I know it sounds really stupid. Other than this I think (and I know she does too) that I'm a really good husband. It's just something clicks inside me and I have to make the decision to spend the money there and then. The most stupid example was when I spent $1500 on a guitar, knowing full well she would be hacked off. I just drove down to the music shop and bought it. Got home and cried..

I packaged up this investment in my mind as I am pretty confident it will make the money back and I genuinely think it will give us a better future.

I know I shouldn't be doing this, I just have no idea why I am.

She is the best thing that has ever happened to me in my life and I am throwing our marriage away with stupid, self-destructive behaviour.

Quite understandably she now says she can't trust me. I would and have never lied to her about anything else. Every time it centres on my irresponsible attitude to money, 3 times in 7 years.
You are literally destroying every shread of trust that woman ever had in you. You do things to hurt her, know it will and do it anyways yet claim you love her? I don't understand whatsoever. Perhaps others will come along here and give you advice. I was trying to point out that your actions have made her not trust one thing you do and once that is gone, so is she.
Any idea why you do this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry Therealbrighteyes. I was responding to your reply by saying, yes my behaviour sounds stupid because it is. By the time I did another post had popped up in between.

I've done things to hurt her in the past with the buying 2 items. I made this investment with a view to giving us a better future together and, yes, I should have told her about it from the start.

No idea at all, that's my problem. I genuinely mean it when I say I love her so much and want to spend the rest of my life with her. I've even considered going to see a mental health professional about it. I used to gamble before I met her but haven't gambled at all since I've been with her, I don't know if that has anything to do with my spending when I shouldn't or not.

·
Banned
294 Posts
The most stupid example was when I spent $1500 on a guitar, knowing full well she would be hacked off. I just drove down to the music shop and bought it. Got home and cried..
Dude, it's a guitar. If you make good money, what the heck is the problem with buying a guitar. A GUY SHOULDN'T CRY OVER BUYING A GUITAR. No offense man, but she has you trained pretty well by having you believe what you've done is equivalent to cheating. Her control over you is strong.

You should stand up for yourself more.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
There seems to be something missing here.

A marriage doesn't get in jeopardy over 2 $1,500 purchases and a good investment. It simply doesn't. I can understand her getting upset, but the items can be taken back, so no blood no foul.

Meh, there's much much more here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The guitar was taken back and refunded fully. The computer was purchased by the business but not discussed with her first. The investment is on track to return the initial amount in 6 months and should generate an exponential return after that. It's not fully paid back yet but we are only a month in and it's 20% paid back already. It's with an established company that's been set up for 2.5 years now and operates globally.

For health reasons I may not be able to carry on my business (I work in construction) for too much longer. I've not told her about this as I didn't want to worry her and my plan was to use this investment to be able to wind down the physical side of the business a bit sooner.

Up until me revealing it today we were getting on fantastic. Her issue is that she feels she cannot trust me at all because of these actions and that's why she is talking about going to stay with a friend tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Sorry Therealbrighteyes. I was responding to your reply by saying, yes my behaviour sounds stupid because it is. By the time I did another post had popped up in between.

I've done things to hurt her in the past with the buying 2 items. I made this investment with a view to giving us a better future together and, yes, I should have told her about it from the start.

No idea at all, that's my problem. I genuinely mean it when I say I love her so much and want to spend the rest of my life with her. I've even considered going to see a mental health professional about it. I used to gamble before I met her but haven't gambled at all since I've been with her, I don't know if that has anything to do with my spending when I shouldn't or not.
Do you really think she doesn't want to make money? There are so many things you two could do together to learn about safer ways to invest and no, a computer isn't an investment.....it is a depreciating asset and will be worthless in 3 years. So are cars and guitars unless they are rare. If you have $3k to set aside, why not take an investment class with her and learn about mutual funds? A much broader based investment and depending on what sector you invest in, has a pretty limited risk.
Again, what you are doing is destroying her trust in you. For those here who say "Who cares" well how would you feel if your spouse was taking large sums of your money out, giving you no say in the matter, risking it and then after seeing your anger and hurt, doing it again?
I am not a risk taker with my money either but I sure understand that with many things, without some risk there is no reward. I DO however insist on knowing where my money is going and that I have a say in that and right now, you are giving her none of that. So why do you do this? :scratchhead:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quite possibly. Spending wise I have a few expensive hobbies that I spend money on rarely. I don't drink, smoke or fritter away money on junk food. I used to buy expensive stuff on interest free loans and pay it back with my money (we each have an individual spending money allowance each month) and she made me promise not to take out any more loans which I haven't done.

I never gambled large amounts of money. I used to play online poker. I was pretty good but I kept getting greedy and would eventually gamble all my winnings on stupid cards instead of quitting while I was ahead. I've stopped playing completely of my own choice now as I can't be disciplined enough and I scare myself when I gamble.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
The guitar was taken back and refunded fully. The computer was purchased by the business but not discussed with her first. The investment is on track to return the initial amount in 6 months and should generate an exponential return after that. It's not fully paid back yet but we are only a month in and it's 20% paid back already. It's with an established company that's been set up for 2.5 years now and operates globally.

For health reasons I may not be able to carry on my business (I work in construction) for too much longer. I've not told her about this as I didn't want to worry her and my plan was to use this investment to be able to wind down the physical side of the business a bit sooner.

Up until me revealing it today we were getting on fantastic. Her issue is that she feels she cannot trust me at all because of these actions and that's why she is talking about going to stay with a friend tomorrow.
You haven't told her that you have health issues and might not be able to continue working?! Oh, Lord. Are you looking at your actions? Would YOU trust YOU? :confused:
I'm really hoping somebody more helpful will come in here. You are lying to your wife every single day for reasons I do not know. Lying about your health is a huge one. Huge.

·
Registered
315 Posts
If my husband ever spends so much money without talking to me first, I would start to lose trust on him, and wonder if someday he might spend all of our savings wihtout me approving. We don't have kids yet, but I can't imagine having no more savings, which is a save keeping in case something big happens and we need money for it.

On the other hand, we both have "pockt money", an amount that we can spend and do whatever we want each month. If he decides to save some of it each month and then spend it on somehting expensive, then it's up to him.

But no, if it's money that belongs to both, specially family savings, then it's serious issue.

But the OP should get his "addiction" checked. Gambling and needing to spend can become seriously damaging.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
How is your business organized?

·
Registered
6,871 Posts
Like others have said, it's the dishonesty and unilateral decision making with community money that is the issue.

But, it is also clear you'd like to have a little of your own financial autonomy, and as long as you are not keeping the financials hidden from her you should have every right. Negotiate an, agreement with her to each take a little of the discretionary income for a personal spending account that way if you have accumulated the money and you feel like splurging it won't mean eroding your marriage. Plus if you lose it on bad investments then it won't really be seen as a setback.

This of course assumes that you have the diligence and self control to manage it that way.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Did anybody else read that he has health issues, will lose his job and hasn't told his wife about either? None of this is about money. He lies and continues to lie and most of the advice here is "Dude, be a man and spend what you want".

·
Banned
294 Posts
Did anyone else read how he he bought a guitar and cried because his wife got mad at him for it? Talk about a wife who's a bit overcontrolling. It goes both ways.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.