Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister wanted me to help her make Christmas dinner and asked if I can go, I asked my husband and he said yes. The day to go came and he wasn't happy to go since he rather stay and catch up on work, so I told him that I can go by my self, he said, "only if I drive back the two hours in daylight" I said At 5 pm, he insisted at 4, so it was settled, I drive two hours to my sisters house and come back at 4 so I drive in daylight. Time flew while I was over there, and I called my husband and asked him if I can leave at 6:00 pm instead of at 4:00 pm, he wasnt to happy but agreed. Around 5:30 I called him again and asked if I can sgtay until 9:30 and I'll drive back with my Mom so I dont drive alone at night, and he wasnt so happy, and agreed. Later I saw that we were still not finished and I called him again with several options, he comes and we sleep over, or I sleep over and leave in the morning, or I leave around midnight......Well a big argument ensued. He said that I don't stand behind my word, and that he is very angry because I manipulated him into staying longer. We were yelling at each other me saying"what's the big deal if I stay more" and he saying "you never stand behind your word" and "I don't like that you drive late at night" after much arguing My mother and sister noticed and they call him possessive, or that he needs to be in with me at all times to avoid these situations. I finally arrived at three am in the house and we are still arguing. He firmly believes that I should have came back at 4 and that staying meant preferring my family over him.

What should I do> What do you guys think?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Is there a specific reason that you cannot drive at night or is just a personal preference? My other question is why do you have to ask your husband for permission to stay at your sister's longer? I can understand asking if you are doing something like going out with friends to the bar or something. Talking to your husband about all of it is fine, it's considerate, but ultimately you are a grown woman that can decide for herself if she'd rather stay longer at your sister's house. It does sound like he may be a little possessive or controlling in my opinion. I can see though why your hubby would be frustrated that you kept changing times and everything because maybe he had plans for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He says that he worries about me about driving late at night and therefore its now a rule in our marriage. (No driving at night for me when its long distances 1 hr or more.) My sister lives 2 hrs away. I need to ask for permission because he says that that's what being married is about (asking permision from each other to o things. And that's why we are in a big fight because I think I should be able to say "I want to stay longer" even if it means breaking my promise of not being at the time I initially said. I think that I changed the times so many times because I was trying to please him, by saying 2-3 hours later than instead " boom @ midnight"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.