Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not that active on it but the odd time I comment on a post I always end up deleting it a few hours later. I find that after I post something that I always get weirded out about others seeing what I wrote then I emd up deleting my comment. For example a friend daughter passed away and in our community this was a well known case and I feel like the majority of the people posting condolences on Facebook r just
doing it because the case is so public if that makes sense....

I wrote something out posted it and then ended up deleting it and instead sent a personal message.

I don't know how others can post such private stuff either about themselves or others in general on Facebook

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
I think Facebook or social media in general just doesn’t fit some people’s personality. I’m like you; I feel strange posting comments knowing that everybody views them. I’m 51, so i lived a big portion of my life without social media and communicating in other more one on one ways. It’s just not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why do people post things to family members such as happy birthday to my son/ daughter ....was there not a time when u would call or say it in person?

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Social media is like a lot of things: good and bad.

Good example: it helped me reconnect with old buddies I hadn't seen or heard of in decades.

Bad: I knew a married couple that feuded on Facebook for over a year. They would exchange public barbs.
One time she said " me and danny havent been good together in a very long time". This went on for over a year back and forth. All their dirty laundry for the entire world to see. Finally, they did reconcile, again publically.

As for me, I lay low and only 'like' now and then, and almost never post. I like seeing what other people are up to,
But all the political crap flying back and forth every day i could do without.

I can't stand Zuckerberg either, but he did come up with an arguably good thing.

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
It's the ultimate tool of the narcissist. It's also by it's very nature lends itself to tribalism, to the worst in us. For many folks, it's like perpetual high school. That's not to say it can be used in a good way too, to keep contact with people and give news to your social circle. Everything in this world can be used for good or bad.

·
Registered
17,291 Posts
I've done a couple projects on Facebook for work. The kind that asks "yada yada yada wants permission to...". I understand what the privacy implications are.

If you keep it simple it has great potential. My entire village in Europe seems to be on Facebook (municipal WiFi ) and I keep up with people I grew up 50 years ago. It's awesome.

Do I post everything about my life? No. About cats, cycling, and my local community (also very active). Food too.

Keep it simple and keep the drama low and it works great.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
I like FB because you can glean a lot about other people. I put up stuff every now and then. And it does simplify contacting people. When I go to London which I 've done a couple of times since we moved to the US, I contact everyone through FB and not through e-mail.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I find that I am now "friends" with people that I lost contact with but what I noticed is no real effort is made other than just an accept friend button, we are not involved in each others lives plus probably have nothing in common anymore anyway. So often other than a happy birthday post once per year that is about it.

I have some friends that post every pic of their kid, discuss that they didn't sleep good last night, etc. etc....I just find it bizarre.

I am debating leaving it but for some businesses, groups, etc. it is often the only way to obtain information so I am thinking should I just defriend everyone this way I still have access to the info. I need?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also ended up unfollowing a friend because her life seemed so great...trips, posing for pics, etc. while mine seemed so boring...LOL!

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
What's the difference between posting on Facebook and having a TV in your home?

The television is more invasive.

Or even a smart fridge.

Those are really creepy!!

·
Banned
6,888 Posts
Why do people post things to family members such as happy birthday to my son/ daughter ....was there not a time when u would call or say it in person?
My family does both.

I think hating social media is kind of like being proud one has never seen Game of Thrones lol. It's the new hipster counterculture....like 2019 goth.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I don’t have too many people on my feed who do the “look how great my life is” thing. Yes people post about their kids’ successes, but they also post about the struggles of daily life like needing to find a tutor for math or whatever. I find it humanizing. And I appreciate the funny memes and videos. I rarely post myself

You can also unfollow people instead of unfriending them if you don’t like what they post. My husband and I have two mutual “friends” from high school on FB that are total train wrecks. He unfollowed them because he could not stand the drama. I keep them as friends just to follow the drama (which probably doesn’t reflect well on me.)

This one woman...where to start? This saga was all posted on FB in daily detail. She was a SAHM with two early-teen boys. They had a nice house, a nice dog and what looked like a nice life. Then she had an affair with her husband’s brother and left the family. She was very proud of their love and posted about it endlessly (While her kids were friends with her on FB and got to read the whole thing.) Turns out the BIL was a drug addict and she became one too. Then she posted about how the BIL beat her up. Five days later she was living in another state and engaged to her high school boyfriend. Meant to be. Then however many months later she broke it off, moved back to the state her kids live in, went to rehab, met a guy at a meeting and married him two months later. By her 5-10 daily posts they seem happy and sober and she is attempting to reestablish a relationship with her kids that are now grown. Through this whole 5-year ordeal people like her posts and comment encouraging things at every step. I only saw negative comments once and that was when her FOO basically disowned her when her kids asked her to chose them or the BIL.

It is like a soap opera and I want to know what happens next. There is part of me that knows this is a sad tale of substance abuse/mental illness that has destroyed lives and I should look away. I think I hang on because part of me also feels like I am better than her. “Well at least I didn’t do X”.

·
Registered
17,291 Posts
My family does both.

I think hating social media is kind of like being proud one has never seen Game of Thrones lol. It's the new hipster counterculture....like 2019 goth.
Pretty much.

Thru social media my village organized a collection of thousands of pictures of our village and it's people going back to 1900 or whenever. It's an amazing collection accessible online by the villagers and friends worldwide.

That's the power of social media.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,980 Posts
I rarely post on Facebook.

We HeadMates have many faces.

....................................................................................................

Some people, especially those that you want to engage with, can only be reached via keyboards, those connected to the Ethernet.

Your worded pixels then are flashed in their face, touching their guarded gardened space.

Your feelings are mingled, with them getting briefly tangled with others delicate typing fingers; if, but for a moment.

Even those that choose to ignore you, rarely so, can do this.

Their eyes may skim over your posts, their hungry minds secretly reading every other word.
Ah, my Elegirl, she is like this.

[THM]- The Typist I

·
Registered
9,146 Posts
My siblings are happy to see pics of some of the goings on in the family. I like seeing what is going on with the things my friends and family share. But some people don't know when to stop. My Mom was a lawyer before she retired. Socials were so often used to do something very dumb and very public. Not a good thing.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I am not that active on it but the odd time I comment on a post I always end up deleting it a few hours later. I find that after I post something that I always get weirded out about others seeing what I wrote then I emd up deleting my comment. For example a friend daughter passed away and in our community this was a well known case and I feel like the majority of the people posting condolences on Facebook r just
doing it because the case is so public if that makes sense....

I wrote something out posted it and then ended up deleting it and instead sent a personal message.

I don't know how others can post such private stuff either about themselves or others in general on Facebook
I do the same thing. It feels weird reading personal things about peopled who are only acquaintances and I don't want to cause other people feel wierd reading about me.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts