Talk About Marriage banner

101 - 120 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
10,838 Posts
I am one of those people who, even if they were rich, wouldn't need or want to buy much. We have one old car that I love because as a Toyota is incredibly reliable, I wouldn't know what to do with a plane or a boat. A big house means lots more upkeep and work, (I mean who needs 5 bathrooms!), designer handbags and clothes are often pretty ugly looking and I have never understood why people would spend 10 times as much just to have the same thing but with a label just to keep up with others. A watch to me is just to tell the time so no need to spend much on that and jewelry can look really nice even though it's cheap.

What I would LOVE to do though is to help others out, like our children and other family members and friends, to pay off their mortgages, enable them all to have a decent holiday and give them money for emergencies in the future.
I also have made a large list of charities etc who I would so love to give to, many of them animal charities, if I ever have the money to do it.

I would also love to bless others who have some need. Having struggled financially myself many times I appreciate what it means to have someone who cares enough to give.

I honestly don't say this to seem altruistic in any way, but because it would give me SO much pleasure. So much more than if I bought more things that honestly I don't need. We are both so easy to please, neither of us desires to live any sort of rich life.

So that's my genuine passion and desire and would be my great pleasure if I am ever in the position to do it. I am always seeing good causes that I get frustrated about not being able to help and it can make me sad😢

·
Registered
155 Posts
I love my sports car & have grown to cherish the very expensive watch DH bought me several years ago.

Even if money were no object I would not buy a motorcycle or really expensive wine, $1,000+ per bottle.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
When we retire in 2-5 years (I think after 62 we will take it year-by-year) we want a 19-24' toy hauler RV... something that can haul out Can-Am outlander to adventure jump-off points, have setting up camp is a snap and never worry about sleeping dry, comfy, and not on the ground (seems to become a little more important after 60 ;) ).
Sounds like PERFECTION to me!!!!

Although, I do still LOVE tent camping...I never want to give it up!!

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
WAIT...$3000 for a PURSE...?? Is that REAL???
That’s actually low end for some of the luxury brands. Not that I paid that — or anything remotely close to it — for any of the Coach line that I have (the newest of mine is at least 15 years old and most I have are 30-40 years old with some even older) but wandering around Paris one rainy afternoon about 25 years ago I saw leather bags by some of the designers based there that were were a lot more than $3,000. They were gorgeous, and I enjoyed seeing them, but certainly they were not something I would ever want. I’m very happy with my little vintage collection. Some were gifts from my mother starting when I was in college and continuing after I was married. Some were birthday or anniversary or Christmas gifts over the years. Some I bought for myself — usually when I was traveling and looking for something that would always remind me of that city. All have lovely memories attached.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Lol you REALLY don’t want to know what bags like Hermès go for. About 5 years ago I was in Manila and I was able to pick up what’s called a “ghost shift” Hermès bag for a relatively low sum (way more than the typical knockoffs there, but worth it). Absolutely gorgeous leather. None of her friends reallly noticed the bag - they are not the high roller snobby crowd - and she wasn’t trying to show off at all. A few times in ritzy areas of town she said well-healed ladies would come up to her half in shock and asking to touch it lol

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have also always had rescue dogs, all of them mixed breed. My conscience won't let me buy a pure bred puppy when there are so many lovely homeless dogs who need rescuing. They are far healthier as well.
Mixed breeds have the potential to suffer from a wider variety of breed specific illnesses. Sticking to ethical breeders with good bloodlines is the way to go for a purebred. One thing I wouldn't spend money on though would be a so called "designer" breed, because a mutt is a mutt.

·
Registered
10,838 Posts
Mixed breeds have the potential to suffer from a wider variety of breed specific illnesses. Sticking to ethical breeders with good bloodlines is the way to go for a purebred. One thing I wouldn't spend money on though would be a so called "designer" breed, because a mutt is a mutt.
Mixed breeds and mongrels are always healthier than pure bred dogs. I know so many people who had pure bred dogs who had many health issues.
Of all the dogs I have had and the many people I have known who had cross breeds and mongrels none had health issues and they lived to an old age. My five were v healthy and all lived to 13-15 years of age. Barely had to take them to vets despite the bad start that some of them had. Two were strays.

·
Premium Member
1,832 Posts
Yeah to the “helping people out” sentiment. Once you burn through all the toys you wanted when younger it is something that always feels amazing to do. A good reminder...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Mixed breeds and mongrels are always healthier than pure bred dogs. I know so many people who had pure bred dogs who had many health issues.
Of all the dogs I have had and the many people I have known who had cross breeds and mongrels none had health issues and they lived to an old age. My five were v healthy and all lived to 13-15 years of age. Barely had to take them to vets despite the bad start that some of them had. Two were strays.
My only mixed breed died at 3 from cancer.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Before today I would have said boat. But after spending the day paddle boarding and watching people bringing their boats to this small inlet beach and enjoying their day immensely I think I’ve changed my answer to plane.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Yes but not for the brand stated (Coach) they aren’t really considered a high end bag IMO. You can get a Coach bag for under $100 on eBay. I buy at least one or two high end bags a year 3k is pretty much an average price for one I’ve paid more and I’ve paid less. I know of some that have wait lists to buy and cost over $100K if you can even get one (Hermès Himalayan Birkin). I’ve never bought a designer bag with the logo printed all over the bag, those are just tacky.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
A few years ago I went to a tennis tournament with a friend who loves Federer. It was like going to another world. The amount of money walking around that place was crazy. As we watched the match, I noticed the woman in front of us wearing some really ugly shoes, so I looked them up. That led me to look up her whole outfit. She was sitting in Miami, in the sun, sweating like the rest of us, in 100 degree weather. Yet, she was doing it in a $10,000 ensemble. Crazy.

·
Registered
7,387 Posts
A few years ago I went to a tennis tournament with a friend who loves Federer. It was like going to another world. The amount of money walking around that place was crazy. As we watched the match, I noticed the woman in front of us wearing some really ugly shoes, so I looked them up. That led me to look up her whole outfit. She was sitting in Miami, in the sun, sweating like the rest of us, in 100 degree weather. Yet, she was doing it in a $10,000 ensemble. Crazy.
You just reminded me of something when you mentioned tennis.
A few years ago I got tickets for the US open final in NY. My then girlfriend (now wife) was a big Serena fan so I splashed out on the tickets.
On the way in to the final there was an advertisement stand for a well known brand of sunglasses. ( I intentionally will not name the bastards lol) and they offered me a free pair to wear which I was delighted to accept.
When they offered my girlfriend a pair they also gave her a thousand dollars in cash as long as she promised to wear them during the match.
She had a grin on her face for about six weeks 😡😡😡

101 - 120 of 129 Posts