Talk About Marriage banner

81 - 100 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Genuine question. I don't get why anyone would need their own plane when if you are rich you can fly first class. Why do you need one?
Same reason people own boats. People like to ride in the boat for fun. I like flying my plane for fun. I don’t actually use it for any type of business travel. I spent many years flying commercial airlines overseas for work. There is no comparison between the two things. My plane isn’t a rich toy. It’s just a small experimental aircraft

·
Premium Member
5,873 Posts
I can see why people buy boats or planes—they are toys. Shoot @Emerging Buddhist and I own a BMW motorcycle and a Can-Am ATV for our brand if “playing.”
But if I were Bill Gates rich I would never EVER buy one of those gigantic mansion houses. We have several in our neighborhood that are so large you ask yourself “Is that a single-family dwelling or an apartment complex?” Lol
Nah I like smaller homes—maybe 1500 sq ft or so, and what I’d do is buy one on the east coast, one in the Deep South, one in the Midwest etc. and then whenever I’d travel around the USA I’d just stop in one of my own houses! 😁

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
I agree with Affaircare, too much house is just crazy to me...

I do like things that go-fast with wheels... but I would never pay more than 1/10th of my home for one and since we both like small houses, that keeps us in budget. :)

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Years ago, my first husband and I purchased a used 5th wheel camper with two bump-outs, and parked it at a wooded campground near a small mountain for 2 years...it had electrical, water and waste hook-ups and cost, I think $30 per month to just sit it there year round.

It was THE MOST FUN I've ever had!!!!!! I loved it so much I barely came home during the warmer months!!!!
It was TINY, of course, and I had three little kids, but it was like having a tiny summer home in the woods and right next to a river and hiking trails!!! Plus they had a pool that my kids loved and basketball and tennis courts and a playground.

I pretty much loved living in that tiny camper more than my actual house!!!! Lol!! I would LOVE to be able to do that again someday... :love:

·
Registered
866 Posts
I had a big boat and still own the airplane. I can definitely say that both do not run on gas... they run on money 💰. If I were going to throw away money yet again I would get a faster airplane.
What plane do you have? I sold my boats and my plane, and I don't miss any of them.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Years ago, my first husband and I purchased a used 5th wheel camper with two bump-outs, and parked it at a wooded campground near a small mountain for 2 years...it had electrical, water and waste hook-ups and cost, I think $30 per month to just sit it there year round.

It was THE MOST FUN I've ever had!!!!!! I loved it so much I barely came home during the warmer months!!!!
It was TINY, of course, and I had three little kids, but it was like having a tiny summer home in the woods and right next to a river and hiking trails!!! Plus they had a pool that my kids loved and basketball and tennis courts and a playground.

I pretty much loved living in that tiny camper more than my actual house!!!! Lol!! I would LOVE to be able to do that again someday... :love:
That sounds like heaven!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
Expensive designer handbags or shoes. I think it's embarrassing people put so much weight into that designer name. I'd come closer to buying the shoes IF they were comfortable, and at least some of the expensive ones are built well, but most are just ridiculous. I don't think it gets much more laughable than a Coach bag. Number 1, I think the printed ones are hideously ugly to begin with. Here, pay $3000 to prop yourself up with this atrociously ugly bag because people will know how much it cost.

·
Registered
7,387 Posts

The only time I ever stayed in a camper was in Glastonbury in the UK. It hosts a music festival every year and the year I went Bruce Springsteen was playing. There was Butler service with twenty four hour room service.
I assume your experience was the same?

·
Registered
10,078 Posts
No doubt what is considered ‘expensive’ is relative. My handbags typically cost between about $120-$450. I personally wouldn’t spend more than that. And preferably buy on sale. Whereas a couple of friends and my mother wouldn’t spend more than around $40 (regardless if able to). I currently have about 5-6 bags that I rotate and they do last me years. Plus a few extra bags related to special occasions that are rarely used, although I didn’t spend as much on those. Whereas an office I worked in years back, a few colleagues had bags that were upward of $1k.

Most I’ve spent on shoes is likely my knee boots which were around $300. They’ve had a lot of wear over a couple of years and still look new - and I don’t care for them specially. Whereas a friend spends about $20 on her shoes. I’m consistently complimenting her outfits and she readily tells me her earrings were $2 and that skirt was from ebay for $15. She knows how to look sharp and stylish without spending much. Although does shop more frequently than I do. Conversely, back in that office I mentioned, some shoes worn would be upward of $600. It’s all relative.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I’m a single women with no kids who had no problem buying nice things. I max out my 401k, I save and have investments. Hell yes I buy myself nice things.

I’m fully aware that the best things in life are free. But the second best things are very expensive. I buy nice things, but I don’t value them. Money is just money. I’m not irresponsible but it’s just $.

I lost one of my arc’teryx jackets ($250) hiking with my man. He was more upset than I was. I just bought a new one that day, nbd. He couldn’t understand but to me, in my financial standing it wasn’t a big deal.

I have 1 pair of $1,000 shoes. I like nice things but I don’t need a ton of things. Also when I get into a hobby I like to buy the best equipment. Right now I’m into backpacking.

·
Premium Member
1,832 Posts
I lost one of my arc’teryx jackets ($250) hiking with my man. He was more upset than I was. I just bought a new one that day, nbd.
I have been trying to get my wife to replace her North Face windbreaker that got a big tear in it (how?). Never heard of arc’teryx thanks for the tip, there is a store a few miles from my house, will surprise her with a trip in there and see if she finds one she likes.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Expensive designer handbags or shoes. I think it's embarrassing people put so much weight into that designer name. I'd come closer to buying the shoes IF they were comfortable, and at least some of the expensive ones are built well, but most are just ridiculous. I don't think it gets much more laughable than a Coach bag. Number 1, I think the printed ones are hideously ugly to begin with. Here, pay $3000 to prop yourself up with this atrociously ugly bag because people will know how much it cost.
WAIT...$3000 for a PURSE...?? Is that REAL???

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I have been trying to get my wife to replace her North Face windbreaker that got a big tear in it (how?). Never heard of arc’teryx thanks for the tip, there is a store a few miles from my house, will surprise her with a trip in there and see if she finds one she likes.
Yea they have great jackets. I own almost all of them.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
The only time I ever stayed in a camper was in Glastonbury in the UK. It hosts a music festival every year and the year I went Bruce Springsteen was playing. There was Butler service with twenty four hour room service.
I assume your experience was the same?
COOL!!!! A music festival sounds SO FUN!!!

YES, we did have a butler AND 24hr room service...it was just all provided by ME!!!! Lol!
I still actually loved EVERY minute of it, and didn't mind one bit!!!

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts

When we retire in 2-5 years (I think after 62 we will take it year-by-year) we want a 19-24' toy hauler RV... something that can haul out Can-Am outlander to adventure jump-off points, have setting up camp is a snap and never worry about sleeping dry, comfy, and not on the ground (seems to become a little more important after 60 ;) ).

81 - 100 of 129 Posts