Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a number of post election posts on here. Regardless of who you voted for in this past election, you have to admit that both Obama and Romney have solid marriages. Both value the importance of families, and I believe both are interested in strengthening American families.

Lately, I have been thinking about what I truly want for America. What I want is for America to take the lead in strengthening marriage and family values.

We live in a country where marriage and family often take a back seat to one's personal interests. The value of marriage is decreasing, the number of children born outside of wedlock is increasing, and individual worth is measured fiancially instead of by the quality of your relationships.

I believe that strengthening marriage is at the heart of moving our country in a better direction. I believe that people who are happy in their marriage are often happy with their lives. Happier people tend to work harder, be more optimistic, and are more willing to help others in need. Hard work, optimism, and helping others are all qualities that will help move this country forward.

·
Registered
43 Posts
And I have a different view. I think that for any party/representative to pull the country together and lead in a fiscally responsible manner so that the country can grow, improve and maybe even survive, it has to be someone who realizes that it is not the government's job to mandate any kind of morality. The government is here to serve and protect, to write and enforce the laws of the land.

Those on the left are appalled by the the morality that the right pushes, those on the right are appalled by the morality the left tries to push, and then there are a vast majority in the middle that just want the government to do what they are supposed to do based on the powers given to them by the constitution and get out of our personal lives and our bedrooms.

I am in that group in the middle and I am incredibly fatigued with the intense amount of news coverage and time devoted to the stupid polarizing issues that have nothing to do with national defense, economic growth etc. Who cares about Big Bird or supposed "women's issues" that revolve around a woman's vagina and her right to have freedom from consequences of any behavior at the cost of the government? I have women's issues that have a lot more to do with sending my kids through college, paying my utility bill, having a job, being able to feed my family.

But yet, politicians would far rather focus on little peripheral emotional issues that get people stirred up rather than coming up with a feasible plan to head the country in the direction of national security, fiscal responsibility, and enforcement of laws. Apparently it is just easier to try to force a slim majority of 50.5% to agree with your moral issues so you can get elected while 49.5% are disgusted because you have rejected their moral issues.

That is my rant for the day!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.