Talk About Marriage banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
But if you "ignore" people, you NEVER get to hear what they say, right...? What if they post something you would want to read?
I've personally not felt the need to block anyone. I appreciate the range of views expressed; yes, even those I wouldn't agree with. To each their own though with this forum experience - including how we navigate the site, and what and how we respond to.

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
Not really sure if there might have been a more diplomatic way to insult an entire board of members, but I take exception and exclude myself from the definition of whatever that name-calling label was supposed to be.
I think this is a fair-call.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
There are multiple people here that have me blocked now, whatever, I know I am not that offensive if they cannot take other opinions so be it.

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
Sometimes people just move on or just get busier with their everyday lives and have little if any time anymore. TAM doesn't seem to have all that many problems if any given the pathetic excuse for a board I came from. Those posters could do whatever they wanted with little consequence because the mods didn't care. It divided the board and any friendships were lost and but some managed to hold on. I'd rather that not happen here. The chaos that ensued shouldn't have ever been allowed. EVER. But chalk that up to that site admin that simply didn't care. Sorry for the rant.

·
Administrator
44,271 Posts
The last time I attempted to download an ad blocker on my laptop, it ended up in the repair shop for a week. I am a technological moron, and I've learned to step away from the computer and leave any bells and whistles to my local geek guys.

@MattMatt - Yes, we have ads in magazines (although "Cooks Illustrated" and "Cuisine At Home" magazines have NO ads), but they're not literally popping up in my peripheral vision. It's disconcerting for me. And, like I said, the old website had a more confidential/anonymous feel to it.
Why do you think that this new website format is less confidential/anonymous?

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Prodigal is funny, they attacked me in a thread in which I did nothing, then blocked me and I still dont understand what happened. I was responding to someone else and prodigal went apeshit on em.

·
Premium Member
9,672 Posts
I haven’t been on as much as I used to be, mainly because I used to hang out here every day when I was at work. When I changed jobs, that luxury went away. So now I get on my phone using Tapatalk, and it’s OK, but I like being on the desktop better. (I mostly check updates on my subscribed threads on Tapatalk. ) However… I absolutely hate the “new” format on the desktop site! It just doesn’t make any sense to me, and it’s entirely too easy for old zombie threads to be revived. It doesn’t really even have a forum feel to me now. I’ve been here a long time, and I’m not going anywhere, I’m just going through a less active phase lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
44,271 Posts
I haven’t been on as much as I used to be, mainly because I used to hang out here every day when I was at work. When I changed jobs, that luxury went away. So now I get on my phone using Tapatalk, and it’s OK, but I like being on the desktop better. (I mostly check updates on my subscribed threads on Tapatalk. ) However… I absolutely hate the “new” format on the desktop site! It just doesn’t make any sense to me, and it’s entirely too easy for old zombie threads to be revived. It doesn’t really even have a forum feel to me now. I’ve been here a long time, and I’m not going anywhere, I’m just going through a less active phase lol.
I have not been on the site using TapaTalk since they moved the site to the new format. On a desktop, the zombie threads are listed at the bottom under a thread. They have the title Recommended Reading. Is it the same on TapaTalk?

A while back we mods closed all threads more than a year old to stop people responding to them and bumping them to the top.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
But if you "ignore" people, you NEVER get to hear what they say, right...? What if they post something you would want to read?
Let me give you a perfect example of someone I put on "ignore" this afternoon: I simply said, in response to OP's post that life is short. I got a nasty, mean-spirited, downright disgusting response from another TAM member. I had no idea MY OPINION could trigger such venom, but it did.

What I got was not merely, an I-disagree-with-your-response, but basically a you-are-wrong-and-don't-know-what-you're-talking-about response. I was told life is loooonnnnngggg (the responder's spelling, not mine).

Why would I want to further expose myself to such total nastiness for what is merely my opinion? Why would I want to further expose myself to someone who is apparently lacking in basic knowledge?

A star has a long life. Average age of a star in the Milky Way galaxy in which we are located: 10 billion years

A giant redwood has a long life. Average age of a giant redwood: 500-700 years

A sequoia tree has a long life. Average age of a sequoia: 1800-2700 years

A human residing in the United States as of 2020: 78.54 years

Yet this TAM member told me I was basically an idiot for saying life is short with regard to homo sapiens.

I rest my case.

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
What I got was not merely, an I-disagree-with-your-response, but basically a you-are-wrong-and-don't-know-what-you're-talking-about response.
Ah, the interwebz... maybe your post can highlight that from your perspective, you were trying to offer some help to the OP. You were giving of your time, and bothered to reach out. Could there be a way that members could consider this more when responding to one another? As you wrote, it's one thing to have a differing opinion, however, being told that you're wrong (when these are simply opinions/life experiences shared), well, I think that's unlikely to achieve much that is helpful. And if anything, prevents the response being received.

In case you need to read this, I do appreciate having you (and your opinions and life experiences) around.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
ffgdfgfdfg abbbbb rrrrrr

I replied to your PM... Check your "conversations". Here's my reply:

The mod team, to include me, cannot help you with this.

You did, Ellen, and I appreciate that, but there was no phone calls or email back that would provide me with the Information I asked for and how to go about getting an ad here.,I am still interested, btw.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Let me give you a perfect example of someone I put on "ignore" this afternoon: I simply said, in response to OP's post that life is short. I got a nasty, mean-spirited, downright disgusting response from another TAM member. I had no idea MY OPINION could trigger such venom, but it did.

What I got was not merely, an I-disagree-with-your-response, but basically a you-are-wrong-and-don't-know-what-you're-talking-about response. I was told life is loooonnnnngggg (the responder's spelling, not mine).

Why would I want to further expose myself to such total nastiness for what is merely my opinion? Why would I want to further expose myself to someone who is apparently lacking in basic knowledge?

A star has a long life. Average age of a star in the Milky Way galaxy in which we are located: 10 billion years

A giant redwood has a long life. Average age of a giant redwood: 500-700 years

A sequoia tree has a long life. Average age of a sequoia: 1800-2700 years

A human residing in the United States as of 2020: 78.54 years

Yet this TAM member told me I was basically an idiot for saying life is short with regard to homo sapiens.

I rest my case.
You two are in agreement. You just come at it from different perspectives.

Your interpretation reminds me of some of the posts to me from men who are irked because I didn't couch my disagreement in terms they would have found amenable. In short, I don't think he meant to insult you or disparage your point of view. He actually thinks along the same lines. Then again, I could be full of fertilizer.:D

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I don't post much since I feel I'm not entitled to give advice, having screwed up my own relationship royally... well, at least this is how I feel. Also, I have come to a crossroad... and I can't take a firm direction due to covid and my own health. So, I'm in limbo (again)... I do agree that the "old guard" seems not to be posting that much. So, I've lost interest.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
I don't post much since I feel I'm not entitled to give advice, having screwed up my own relationship royally... well, at least this is how I feel. Also, I have come to a crossroad... and I can't take a firm direction due to covid and my own health. So, I'm in limbo (again)... I do agree that the "old guard" seems not to be posting that much. So, I've lost interest.
There is a member with almost 40,000 posts who doesn't hesitate to give advice that she, herself, refuses to follow. So jump in.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts