Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to find TAM a great place for advice and people who seemed to genuinely care. The majority of the old guard have appeared for the most part, to have moved on or away from the threads here and I rarely seem their posts. Now I see more misogynists and trigger happy ****-wits (excuse my language) which who have little of any value to contribute. What are your views, do you think the tone of TAM has changed?

·
Registered
526 Posts
I used to find TAM a great place for advice and people who seemed to genuinely care. The majority of the old guard have appeared for the most part, to have moved on or away from the threads here and I rarely seem their posts. Now I see more misogynists and trigger happy ****-wits (excuse my language) which who have little of any value to contribute. What are your views, do you think the tone of TAM has changed?
Would those be f-wits or s-wits?

What do you feel was the tone and how has it change? Can you give some examples of what you feel is the misogynistic tone now here? Or trigger-happy type posts?

Sent from my cp3705A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Ele's thread from 2013 brought back memories. It's a shame that most of the posters on that thread no longer post. One of the delights was reading @Curse of Millhaven 's post (that girl has a way with words).

I have noticed that the number of female posters is dwindling.

Just a funny thought - Ele was made a moderator a year or two after this thread. Lila up & left the board and when she came back she was made a moderator. So listen up! If you don't want to be offered a job, don't threaten to leave.:p

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
Yup. Could be contributed to by the weird stuff going on in the world and personal changes happening in life.

·
Premium Member
7,437 Posts
Yes, we have lost some great posters over the years that I’ve been here but that’s the way forums work IME. People move on and others move in (for a while anyway). What I’ve noticed recently is some of the new posters will post a lot over a very brief period and then quickly move on.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
What time period are you referring to? Who are some posters you have in mind?
EDIT: What I am asking is, who are some of the old guard you feel have moved on, that made the place better when they were here?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
What was that?
Halfwits?
F-wits?
Sh-wits?

Not really sure if there might have been a more diplomatic way to insult an entire board of members, but I take exception and exclude myself from the definition of whatever that name-calling label was supposed to be.

What I've noticed is there are way fewer posts and way fewer participants. With the new premium membership option, I just assumed people were mostly busying themselves with threads and forums that are not available to us lowly registered members.

And yep, I've noticed the insensitive, misogynistic, and double-standard attitudes toward women on the boards.

Come to think of it, I've also noticed a lot more herd mentality than ever before.

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
Did you forget about @Machiavelli? He and his little posse were the original TAM misogynists.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
TAM used be much busier place, more posters. There were many new threads daily and then they often went for several pages - going on for months sometimes, helping posters in their situation.

There also were closed groups that anyone could creat. In tgese groups we were able to share many more details of our situation because this was not public. It was extremely helpful if you found group of posters to share a group like this.

As in regards to misogyny -it was always here, even worse.I remeber threads, based on some cockoo guy books, how it is natural for women to submit to men and that tge chaos of today’s wold is basically the fault of people not staying within their “natural” gender norms. Imagine the fights we had on these threads....

·
Administrator
44,280 Posts
What I've noticed is there are way fewer posts and way fewer participants. With the new premium membership option, I just assumed people were mostly busying themselves with threads and forums that are not available to us lowly registered members.
There is only one sub forum for premium members. There are something like 3 threads there that have not been posted on in months. No one is using the premium member only sub forum.

·
Administrator
44,280 Posts
TAM used be much busier place, more posters. There were many new threads daily and then they often went for several pages - going on for months sometimes, helping posters in their situation.
I was talk that TAM's decline in active members has is largely due to the change in the google search algorithm that was put in place a couple of years ago. It's just not as likely that TAM will show up in search results as it was prior to the algorithm change. Sites like TAM rely on a constant influx of new members.

there also were closed groups that anyone could creat. In tgese groups we were able to share many more details of our situation because this was not public. It was extremely helpful if you found group of posters to share a group like this.
I agree that the loss of the private (or closed) groups is not good. There was at least one long time poster who has a group forum no there. With the transition, years of her threads were just deleted. She no longer posts on TAM as that shocking and hurtful to her and to those who were supporting her.

as in regards to misogyny -it was always here, even worse.I remeber threads, based on some cockoo guy books, how it is natural for women to submit to men and that tge chaos of today’s wold is basically the fault of people not staying within their “natural” gender norms. Imagine the fights we had on these threads....
I agree.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
I don't care to see advertising cluttering up the site, particularly right in the middle of a thread. For me, it takes away from the confidential feel the old forum had. As I'm typing this, three different pop-up ads have appeared on the right side of my screen, none of which are remotely interesting to me. Advertising generates revenue, which is great. But I find it somewhat annoying and for me it cheapens the site. JMO.

There are posters who appear to have joined because they are feeling lonely/bored. I imagine when COVID eventually dissipates, they'll leave.

Reactions: ConanHub

·
Administrator
44,280 Posts
I don't care to see advertising cluttering up the site, particularly right in the middle of a thread. For me, it takes away from the confidential feel the old forum had. As I'm typing this, three different pop-up ads have appeared on the right side of my screen, none of which are remotely interesting to me. Advertising generates revenue, which is great. But I find it somewhat annoying and for me it cheapens the site. JMO.
The issue is that it costs the site owners money to run this site. Very few people pay the $19 annually for premium membership. This means that the site owners had to find a way to generate enough to at least cover the cost of hosting the site, paid staff, etc.

There are posters who appear to have joined because they are feeling lonely/bored. I imagine when COVID eventually dissipates, they'll leave.
Time will tell.

·
Administrator
44,280 Posts
I guess being a premium member has some benefits after all — I don’t see ads.
You also have access to the premium only forum if you wanted to post somewhere that was very private.

·
Super Moderator
28,792 Posts
The pandemic brought a HUGE influx of new members probably because they had more time on their hands. It was very noticeable.
And they found the pandemic had cause fault lines to appear in their relationships, so THEY researched options for help and found TAM.

·
Super Moderator
28,792 Posts

I know what you mean about adverts. But we read magazines and newspapers with adverts?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts