Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my goals in life is to be a better cook/baker. I'm doing this for myself and my family.

I bought a 12 pack of herbs to start with. Hoping I can get them to germinate and grow, which ones are the best to start with?

Also, if someone could help me pick out a couple chilies/peppers to grow, I'd really appreciate that too.

I'll be growing these in my basement under a growing light with a timer. I read they need about 16 hours of growing light a day. There is not enough sunlight and growing inside will eliminate bugs making this all organic.

If y'all could help, I'll be more then grateful. Thank you. :)

BTW, I'm on a mission for myself to improve my cooking. I would of loved to attend culinary school, but that's out of the question. I'm building up my cooking tools along the way. Most things I do make are already from scratch.

·
Premium Member
17,834 Posts
Basil and dill grow fairly easily here. Basil is great in itallian dishes and dill is good on salmon. I tended to look at the McCormick spice website. They had a lot of good recipes.

Not sure about grow lights.

I like using rosemary, sage and thyme on my pork roasts.

·
Registered
208 Posts
We use parsley on EVERYTHING. Soups, potato salads, all sauces (pasta sauce, curry sauce, white sauce). It doesn't have a strong flavour, looks fabulous, and it grows like crazy. Mine's going a little brown right now, probably needs more sun than we're getting :(

I'd love to grow more herbs, I'll have to look into a sun lamp of some kind.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hubby just set up the growing light. It's about 4 feet long. :)

I really want to plant that popular dark brown shriveled looking chili the professional cooks use. I can't think of what it is on the top of my head.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
I think it depends a lot on what you like to cook. Italian - basil, dill, oregano. French - dill, marjoram, chives. Thai/Indian - cilantro/coriander.

My faves are basil, dill, coriander and sage. Parsley is always useful and mint grows like crazy and is nice in lots of things. You'll know what goes with what when you smell them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Spanish Fly and Pot works well together. LOL
There are some good books on mixing herbs and spices. I have learned the hard way that a lot of the time less is better. A very good cook once told me it's what you don't add is the trick. That was good advice.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We use parsley on EVERYTHING. Soups, potato salads, all sauces (pasta sauce, curry sauce, white sauce). It doesn't have a strong flavour, looks fabulous, and it grows like crazy. Mine's going a little brown right now, probably needs more sun than we're getting :(

I'd love to grow more herbs, I'll have to look into a sun lamp of some kind.
How tall do your herbs grow? My light has a stand, but its only a few feet tall. I'm thinking its not tall enough.

Maybe I need to invest in a second light as a backup.

I'm starting with 3 of these herbs along with a pot that has green, yellow and red peppers.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think I've ever used rosemary.

My entire downstairs might become its own greenhouse. :)

We save all our hanging and potted plants year after year. I love them and its cheaper to being them inside rather then buying new ones each year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.