Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been married over 2 decades. It never was really good, I didn’t take the red flags seriously. We have 2 older teens, and I’ve stayed home (various short term jobs and now self employed) through the years, but always have been mostly stay at home mom, which we agreed to. I’ve finally given up the idea, and exhausted all my efforts to “get over things” and “try again.” He lies about money, drinking, gets mad at me for everything, have spent more time not talking than talking in the past 5 years, he’s embarrassed me in public, made hurtful remarks in front of coworkers, yelled at me in public, talks to the kids about me behind my back (and tells me he does)...and it goes on...
I’m sad, lonely, depressed, but try to stay positive for my kids and my elderly father who I take care of, and I will not cheat. My married friends have good marriages (and do many couple activities), my divorced friends are good, but different life style than what I can do, so spending time with them is limited.
I cannot afford 10k+ to file, nor afford an apartment (plus I feel it is selfish to leave my daughter, we are close, and Dad is more hands off and unaware of 98% of her life). He says he’s fine with divorce, but will never give up our house (sell and split it).
What are my options? Any? This loneliness, lack of conversation, of joy and laughter is really getting to me, and I don’t see any “out” for at least 1.5 years.

·
Premium Member
14,932 Posts
Your second most important thing (to do) is to get a better paying job.
Your first, is to do a consult with a female divorce attorney

The first consult is often free or affordable. Find out where you stand.
Being married over 20 years sounds like you will have solid footing.

Older children are often given the option where they want to live.
I doubt your husband would stand in the way, as far as any future custody issues that come into play.

·
Premium Member
14,932 Posts
Your husband may be waiting for the children to move out and get on with their lives, with him making his move, at that time.

·
Premium Member
14,932 Posts
Biding our time is that most foolish thing.
Time is our most valuable possession, and the Good Lord was stingy, in giving of it.
Waste not, your healthy days, prepare yourself well for those aged winters that come, all to soon.

·
Premium Member
14,932 Posts
Yes. Only house we have had. I’m on Title only, after refinancing years ago.
The house, and its equity is half yours....
With few exceptions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your second most important thing (to do) is to get a better paying job.
Your first, is to do a consult with a female divorce attorney

The first consult is often free or affordable. Find out where you stand.
Being married over 20 years sounds like you will have solid footing.

Older children are often given the option where they want to live.
I doubt your husband would stand in the way, as far as any future custody issues that come into play.
I have had a free consult with female attorney. If it was amicable, we could get through it with out costing much more, but he will not budge. And he is nasty mean about everything. He expects me to walk away, as if I’ve contributed nothing (I had the much higher paying job that supported us before marriage and first few years- then I took over everything domestically and had some part time jobs when he had career setbacks, to make ends meet.)

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
He has to split the home equity with you. He will have to pay spousal support, at least for a time. Being uncooperative will make the divorce drag out, but you can get it done. You need to focus on getting employed.

·
Premium Member
14,932 Posts
Blustering and being mean works at home, not in a court of law.

He sounds cheap.

When he realizes that dragging out the divorce will (in the end) cost more, he will cave.
He will not get any nicer.
He sounds like a mean drunk.

·
Registered
850 Posts
We have been married over 2 decades. It never was really good, I didn’t take the red flags seriously. We have 2 older teens, and I’ve stayed home (various short term jobs and now self employed) through the years, but always have been mostly stay at home mom, which we agreed to. I’ve finally given up the idea, and exhausted all my efforts to “get over things” and “try again.” He lies about money, drinking, gets mad at me for everything, have spent more time not talking than talking in the past 5 years, he’s embarrassed me in public, made hurtful remarks in front of coworkers, yelled at me in public, talks to the kids about me behind my back (and tells me he does)...and it goes on...
I’m sad, lonely, depressed, but try to stay positive for my kids and my elderly father who I take care of, and I will not cheat. My married friends have good marriages (and do many couple activities), my divorced friends are good, but different life style than what I can do, so spending time with them is limited.
I cannot afford 10k+ to file, nor afford an apartment (plus I feel it is selfish to leave my daughter, we are close, and Dad is more hands off and unaware of 98% of her life). He says he’s fine with divorce, but will never give up our house (sell and split it).
What are my options? Any? This loneliness, lack of conversation, of joy and laughter is really getting to me, and I don’t see any “out” for at least 1.5 years.
Is your husband an overt narcissist? Sounds like it.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
It sounds like you think your husband is the legal advisory team in divorce.... nothing could be further from the truth. As long as you take legal advice from your husband you will believe all sorts of nonsense.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
You have to force the action to bust it up. Playing nice only gets you so far with a certain type of person. He doesn’t seem to be that type.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts