Talk About Marriage banner

181 - 200 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
My dentist e-mailed that they are open for business with all kinds of safety precautions. Oh, and there will be a small fee of $18 so they can afford to buy their PPE for your visit. So, I get to buy my PPE and theirs. Harrrumph!

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
My dentist e-mailed that they are open for business with all kinds of safety precautions. Oh, and there will be a small fee of $18 so they can afford to buy their PPE for your visit. So, I get to buy my PPE and theirs. Harrrumph!
Peanuts. Mrs P’s prosthodontist’s daughter attended Sorbonne.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Denmark has barely seen any increase in the death rate for the time of year.

There are no major crowded metropolis (Copenhagen is about a million and a half), but most importantly, there was moderate action imposed early and plenty of testing capacity and PPE to go round.

It has gone far better than the USA or UK it would seem. How are the relative performances being reported in the media?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Denmark has barely seen any increase in the death rate for the time of year.

There are no major crowded metropolis (Copenhagen is about a million and a half), but most importantly, there was moderate action imposed early and plenty of testing capacity and PPE to go round.

It has gone far better than the USA or UK it would seem. How are the relative performances being reported in the media?
What's their obesity level like?

·
Registered
11,550 Posts
In whatever way makes the US numbers look bad, and whatever makes Trump look bad. The left has been politicizing Covid since the very beginning, because the left has been attacking Trump at every single step. Inside the beltway, and on the vast majority of media, everything is political. Everything. That goes for the Republicans, too, but since Trump holds the seat the Dems want to win back, he is the target.

The media, too, are ignorant about anything. So they mis-report all the time. They fail to grasp that correlation is not causation, or that there can be a multitude of complicating factors. They fail to apply basic critical thinking. They don't bother to analyze. Tie that in with intentional misrepresentation when they think it helps their agenda, and you have media reports that are usually the opposite of truth.

Just turn off the networks. You'll be much happier.

·
Premium Member
24,201 Posts
In whatever way makes the US numbers look bad, and whatever makes Trump look bad. The left has been politicizing Covid since the very beginning, because the left has been attacking Trump at every single step. Inside the beltway, and on the vast majority of media, everything is political. Everything. That goes for the Republicans, too, but since Trump holds the seat the Dems want to win back, he is the target.

The media, too, are ignorant about anything. So they mis-report all the time. They fail to grasp that correlation is not causation, or that there can be a multitude of complicating factors. They fail to apply basic critical thinking. They don't bother to analyze. Tie that in with intentional misrepresentation when they think it helps their agenda, and you have media reports that are usually the opposite of truth.

Just turn off the networks. You'll be much happier.
Why is everything political with you... SARS-CoV-2 is not Trumps fault and likely had someone else like Hillary been president, this virus would still have touched our shores and we still would have had to carry out some of the same mitigation procedures.

This is not about the media or some conspiracy on the left to take down Trump. This is pandemic that was long time coming. Prior to this, these types of epidemics/pandemics had swept through populations nearly once every 40 years. It was just our time.

As to how Trump handled the Pandemic once it reached our shores? History and this November’s election will decide that one. Since this is not in the political forum, I will leave it at that.

As for how extensive is this pandemic in terms of just how far reaching is the infection? That too will be judged historically. All pandemics are understood better some decades afterward than it is while it is happening.

If it looks like a society overreacted, from an epidemiology perspective we did exactly the right thing. If not, then society often asks why didn’t we do more. This pandemic is not a hoax. And there is no hidden agenda to over or under report the cases. There is no incentive to do so.

·
Registered
11,550 Posts
Why is everything political with you... SARS-CoV-2 is not Trumps fault and likely had someone else like Hillary been president, this virus would still have touched our shores and we still would have had to carry out some of the same mitigation procedures.

This is not about the media or some conspiracy on the left to take down Trump. This is pandemic that was long time coming. Prior to this, these types of epidemics/pandemics had swept through populations nearly once every 40 years. It was just our time.

As to how Trump handled the Pandemic once it reached our shores? History and this November’s election will decide that one. Since this is not in the political forum, I will leave it at that.

As for how extensive is this pandemic in terms of just how far reaching is the infection? That too will be judged historically. All pandemics are understood better some decades afterward than it is while it is happening.

If it looks like a society overreacted, from an epidemiology perspective we did exactly the right thing. If not, then society often asks why didn’t we do more. This pandemic is not a hoax. And there is no hidden agenda to over or under report the cases. There is no incentive to do so.
There was nothing, zero, nada, zilch political about Covid until the Democrats seized upon it as yet one more bludgeon to attack Trump.

Just look at the timelines easily found on the web of original source videos, tweets, and interviews. Don't take my word for it if you don't want to.

The Democrats started demonizing Trump's actions from the very earliest moments. Nothing he did or didn't do escaped criticism from the left. This includes politicians, activists, and the media.

Trump did not start out making it political. The Republicans in DC did not make it political. The general citizenry did not make it political. Had the Democrats and leftist media not made it political, it would not be political.

Frankly I wish it weren't political. But it is, so we had better not blind ourselves to that fact when we see anything about Covid. You can choose to ignore the politics but then you are ignoring the very real slant being put on it. You may be reading in the science world away from political discussions, and it may be different there. If you expose yourself to any of the media the non-researcher world sees, you are getting manipulated and lied to by that media.

You keep saying if it looks like we overreacted then we did the right thing. That only applies to the extremely narrow aspect of a very large issue. Yes, we can reduce infections by locking down. But that is only that part of it. We will create enormous suffering, death, and poverty with excessive lockdown. Nobody is arguing there would have been no impact to infection rates had we not locked down. The argument is we are creating vastly more harm at this point which is now going to be far worse than the benefits of continued lockdown.

·
Premium Member
24,201 Posts
There was nothing, zero, nada, zilch political about Covid until the Democrats seized upon it as yet one more bludgeon to attack Trump.
I stopped reading after this sentence, because this is not true at all. I don’t know about you, but I was paying attention to this crisis back in late December 2019. Yes, science reports were coming out about this virus and the potential impact it could serve to the world had it found its way outside of the Chinese province where it was first discovered. First day back on campus (Second Monday in January), I warned my students of the impending virus that could be heading our way.

This was not a conspiracy or a hoax by any political party or person. Again, not everything is political.

·
Registered
11,550 Posts
I stopped reading after this sentence, because this is not true at all. I don’t know about you, but I was paying attention to this crisis back in late December 2019. Yes, science reports were coming out about this virus and the potential impact it could serve to the world had it found its way outside of the Chinese province where it was first discovered. First day back on campus (Second Monday in January), I warned my students of the impending virus that could be heading our way.

This was not a conspiracy or a hoax by any political party or person. Again, not everything is political.
Read the rest.

This is not a hoax or a conspiracy. It is politics within the political class, which includes the media these days. Go see what Trump said and when he said it, and look at what the Democrats said and when they said it. They lambasted him for cutting off travel from China. They mocked him, and then they said go out into crowded events. And then when it became real they complain he isn't doing enough.

You may have been tracking it because of your professional interests. Great. If you can't see that the politicians have been playing politics then you just don't understand what politicians are.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Pelosi made it political at the State of the Union when she ripped up Trump's speech the speech where he spoke of the virus.

·
Premium Member
24,201 Posts
Read the rest.

This is not a hoax or a conspiracy. It is politics within the political class, which includes the media these days. Go see what Trump said and when he said it, and look at what the Democrats said and when they said it. They lambasted him for cutting off travel from China. They mocked him, and then they said go out into crowded events. And then when it became real they complain he isn't doing enough.

You may have been tracking it because of your professional interests. Great. If you can't see that the politicians have been playing politics then you just don't understand what politicians are.
Why, it is pointless to read the rest... normally the first sentence sets up a diatribe for why one feels justification to rant on about something that is blatantly false.

I don’t watch the news, but I have heard enough of those who choose to cut around the edges and make these claims while always changing the goal post.

I don‘t see the politics in this pandemic, and I am sorry if you do. This virus is entrenched in the world population. And while we may see it go through waxes and wanes based on community behavior and changes in temperature and humidity, it has not disappeared. It will not likely disappear. We can reach a point of herd immunity (actively or passively). I think some folks think that the Spanish flu disappeard, it did not. We reached active herd immunity, it is still with us.

Stop watching the political implications or stuff either party is saying and be concerned with the science of it.

·
Premium Member
24,201 Posts
Pelosi made it political at the State of the Union when she ripped up Trump's speech the speech where he spoke of the virus.
Yea, I don’t know, I did no watch the SOU address... In reality, politics bores me and I find the whole sports metaphor aspect of it challenging to our nation (my side v your side).

·
Premium Member
24,201 Posts
The only entrenched virus that disappeared from the human population, Variola virus, virus that caused small pox. It was through huge efforts of worldwide vaccinations.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
State cases are on the rise again.
Since opening up a couple weeks ago it has gone from averaging 55 a day up to 150.

Wondering how much of an expotential increase there gonna be since people aren’t even bothering to wear a masks when THEY are sick and out in public.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
Some owners are having the same issue in Oklahoma still.
Cano said the CARES Act and unemployment checks have resulted in many of her furloughed employees staying home. They collectively told her their pay from the government is much better than working at her restaurant.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
Are other areas that have opened up getting increasing rates?

I keep watching ours in the state and locally gradually increasing.

181 - 200 of 203 Posts