Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 20 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn’t see a specific thread, and didn’t want to thread jack.

What’s it like in your location concerning stores, General attitude of people, state local response....

Has it changed people’s behavior and how they are interacting?

Going to, and coming from, an outside service call I opted to do today, drove by store parking lots hoping to find a slow time.

No such success. Opted not to go in.

1/3 of all vehicles the second time was out of state tags, some from as far as 1200 miles away.

People still seem to be laid back about everything here.

·
Premium Member
7,401 Posts
Didn’t see a specific thread, and didn’t want to thread jack.

What’s it like in your location concerning stores, General attitude of people, state local response....

Has it changed people’s behavior and how they are interacting?

Going to, and coming from, an outside service call I opted to do today, drove by store parking lots hoping to find a slow time.

No such success. Opted not to go in.

1/3 of all vehicles the second time was out of state tags, some from as far as 1200 miles away.

People still seem to be laid back about everything here.
It's been two weeks since we have left the house, other than to drop our garbage off at a location that we have been using for years (with the permission of the owner). We haven't gotten within breathing distance of anyone since then.

So I don't know how things are in the nearest town.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I'm in Mississippi and in short, it's probably overall about the same as everywhere else. They're crowding stores and buying everything that isn't bolted down but maintaining a safe distance. And the attitude depends on where you are. In the city they're freaking out. In the country it's far more lax. Plenty of meat, TP, food and supplies. I still think that social distancing needs a lot more practice here to prevent our cases from growing anymore.

·
Registered
13,594 Posts
Had to go to the pharmacy for a routine refill today and then drove around to do some recon. Supermarket parking lots seemed normal for a weekday afternoon, but I didn’t go in. Fast food drive through seemed busier than usual (not a use so very anecdotal). Pizza places and Chinese food open.

In general the roads are fairly empty. Chill, in a somber kind of way was the vibe I got, mainly from my car.

·
Registered
7,877 Posts
Streets are pretty bare of traffic because all the cars are in the plaza shopping centers.

My neighbor's husband has his office right across from mine (about 12' away). Evidently, he doesn't trust the phone because he yells all day long. I'll be glad when he's no longer on lock down. Maybe, their usually quiet two year old will stop screaming, too.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
California has been on mandatory lock down for a while now. All businesses closed except for the obvious grocery stores, medical facilities and gas stations. Restaurants are allowed open only for delivery and grab-and-go take out. They closed parks, beaches and outdoor recreation facilities 2 days ago because bored people were congregating to play sports, etc. Police have also broken up a couple of parties at people's houses because of the number limit on gatherings.

Grocery stores limit the number of customers inside and no longer will use customer reusable bags. Airports, freeways and city streets are basically empty. Grocery stores are hiring like mad because of the demand for delivered groceries. Everyone is working from home or not working at all.

The only people I see outside are either jogging, riding their bike or walking their dog. I saw a guy yesterday jumping-rope for exercise in a deserted parking lot. I have only been out to potty-walk my dogs.

I live in a large urban area for reference.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Walked the dogs yesterday, stopped briefly for two local errands on way home, with distancing methods in place. Both locations had people that I regularly interact with, who looked at me blankly - had forgotten my name - wearing a similar expression of extreme stress. The point isn't they forgot my name, but rather the levels of stress being experienced.

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
In Toronto it's very quiet on the streets. From what I can see most are safe distancing. Most major stores are allowing only a certain number in at a time,and others are in queue outside. Seniors hours are in effect at most major chains,usually first thing in the morning. Hospitals have cancelled most appointments and they have set up covid-19 assessment centers.

We get daily updates through the city of Toronto website and Toronto's Medical Officer of Health. So far we have 280 reported cases,18 of which are hospitalized and sadly 1 death. One of the main things the city is working on at present is the homeless and the available shelters.

Be safe everyone.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Here the only traffic you see has out of state plates. The locals mostly stay in their homes.

The only store open is the gas station at the end of town. The only grocery store is closed, they only open on Saturdays now to stop people from outside buying out the shelves.

Basically, its very quiet. Like someone else described, its like The Walking Dead without the Zombies

·
Registered
463 Posts
I am near Akron Ohio. Things seem pretty calm but of course there seems to be some worry/tension. Stores here (though I have not been to in a week) seem still decently stocked from what I've heard. Workmate went to Gstore yesterday and said shelves more empty than normal but most all available. Police are around and visible.

Less traffic but still some as this is industrial/manufacturing area and Ohio Governor stay at home order pretty broad and frankly doesn't exclude about 75% of, so of course most are staying open. I got about 40 E-mails today from suppliers saying "we are open". Not sure that is good but all seem to be taking this seriously and taking appropriate steps to protect all. No in store/warehouse pick up - ship only.

On a side note was cruising to work today and a BMW M5 flew past me doing about 90. Made me think... he's probably safe as cops are not out looking for speeders... I've seen him before. Think I'll be driving something else tomorrow.... ;)

·
Premium Member
24,191 Posts
Hawai’i, city and county of Honolulu:

As of yesterday at 4:30pm HST, the state is in shutdown mode:

All non-essential businesses are closed down and people are expected to stay at home unless for:

Grocery shopping (encouraged not to go everyday), pick up medicine, doctors appointments, banking, etc.

Outside to exercise (but told to maintain social distancing)

All public parks and beaches are closed. You can go in the ocean, but you can’t hang out on the beach.

Grocery stores are monitoring the capacity of customers.

All of this until April 30th. For the most part people are cooperating for now.

Any flights coming to the islands after Thursday, all passengers will have to quarantine (they are not supposed to go outside for any reason) for 14 days. That will go on indefinitely until other parts of the country and world show flatline numbers.

We don’t have much in the way of medical capacity, maybe five major medical centers and a scattering of small ones throughout the islands. The military is setting up portable (MASH like) facilities throughout the state. We have a lot of military here. Two soldiers thus far have tested positive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
No reported confirmations in my little rural Central Texas county(Burleson), but 16 over across the River in Brazos County(Aggieland), with 1 reported hospitalization!

12 of the 16 cases there are blamed on national/international travel!

·
Premium Member
24,191 Posts
We have over 100 confirmed cases (not sure how many are hospitalized). We have the first confirmed fatality.

Up until last week all the cases were travel related, now community based are showing up about 14/day.

·
Administrator
43,630 Posts
There are about 100 cases in New Mexico now. State population is about 2 Million.

All non-essential businesses are closed by order of governor. Though non-essential businesses can still function if people can work from home.

The parking lots for grocery stores, Home Depot and other 'essential' businesses looked to be about what I'd expect on any Tuesday afternoon.

Other than that traffic is maybe half as much as usual. But I'll bet that rush hour is where lower number of commuters will be very noticeable.

People here seem to be in pretty good moods.

It's not bad at all.

·
Premium Member
24,191 Posts
There was a cruise ship with 2,000 onboard that docked on Sunday. The ship was experiencing mechanical difficulties.

Sunday evening through Monday there was a crew of medical personnel in hazmat suits that went on board and checked all passengers and crew. Monday evening, passengers disembarked onto chartered busses that took them straight to the airport on chartered planes to airports where they could link to airlines back home.

The crew has to remain onboard for two weeks before they can leave for home.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Virginia shut down the schools for the year. The ex and I are both "essential" so we're still working though I do so from home at least half the time.

There was one case in the city and three in the county where we live. Restaurants are all pick up or delivery and several have closed until this settles down some. The weekend before last there weren't any eggs, flour, TP, sugar, oil, canned fruit or vegetables, ramen, or bread but I haven't been there since. Some people have mentioned that meat has been picked over in other places but that wasn't the case then here. It wasn't any more or less crowded than normal and at that time there was just the one case in the city who got infected somewhere else so it still seemed far away.

This past weekend I dropped off the library book that I had finished in the slot and picked up a sandwich at one of the local delis and I was just as social distanced in downtown as I was in my front yard.

My ex works with but not in the hospital and has heard that it is mostly empty. Some nurses might have to take reduced hours or work in different departments to justify being there. No one is going to lose their job obviously because everyone expects to be overwhelmed in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Maryland.

The last I heard yesterday was ~350 cases and 4 dead. We are all assuming the actual cases are much much higher. State population is around 6 million. We are a densely populated state in the major metro corridor between DC and NYC. Seeing the rates of infection in NY, CT, etc... I assume we really have similar here. Testing has been seriously lacking here. My H and I both know people who are suspected to have it, but haven't met the criteria to be tested. Luckily none of them have needed hospital care and seem to be recovering on their own, so I guess they just wont be tested to find out if this is what they have? Take that scenario and multiply it exponentially, and we clearly have no idea what the real infection rate is in the state.

They are turning the convention centers, hotels and major university dorms into field hospitals. They are asking nurses and doctors to come out of retirement, and asking small time clinics to shut down and have their staff join the hospitals instead.

All non-essential business shut down. Public lands/parks and beaches shut down. The governor is attempting to avoid a strict "shelter in place" rule so this was meant to close all the places where people would be gathering. It seems like it is working from my limited point of view. I've never seen the roads and shopping centers so empty.

My husband and I are both non-essential. We are both working from home while our offices are closed. We are literally barred from entering the office during this shutdown period. Both companies have stated they are fine with employees continuing to work from home because that doesn't defy the governor's orders... however, you have to have actual work to do. My H does. My work will run out in two weeks. My line of work is tied to the state and fed Gov being in operation... right now all of my work has been put on hold, so I will be temporarily laid off in two weeks when my work dries up. I am trying to figure out if/where I can pick up a quick job to fill the gap at a grocery store or warehouse or something, or whether it would pay more to just collect unemployment during the time off. Either way, unemployment in MD caps at less than 1/3rd my salary. Sooo... its not gonna be good.

There has been talk that MD may increase unemployment payment caps during this time. Fingers crossed for that. We are also keeping an eye on this "stimulus" package hoping we will get a little money that way.

I was never really stressed about getting sick... but this job nonsense has me super stressed.

There was a mad rush at the grocery stores about a week ago. It was insanity. All of the stores here have since put strict limits on everything. You can only buy 1 pack of TP, 1 box of pasta, 1 gallon of milk, etc. This stopped the hoarding. Now things are pretty much stocked, not to the amount they were before this outbreak, but better than a week ago. A week ago it took us 6 hours to grocery shop because we had to go to a bunch of different places to get things since shelves were empty everywhere.

Schools here are a cluster right now. MD closed schools for two weeks as an emergency measure when this all started, and said they'd come back with a definite plan/return date before the two weeks was up. Right now we have not heard anything at all. We are still under the original two week shutdown which would have them going back to school on March 30th. They didn't give us any work for them to do over the break. No one really knows if they are shutting down for the rest of the year, going to online schooling or what. As a parent of two school aged kids its been frustrating being unable to plan.

The Governor is holding another press conference tomorrow. We expect to hear about schools then.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
I did a brief stop at the store, social distancing etc in place. The cashier was talking non-stop to me. Although this may sound pleasant, there was an edge to her vibe; as though it was anxiety that was causing her to keep talking. Then nearby, a customer started raising his voice to another cashier. I turned to see what was going on, and that's when the person serving me noticed and the anxiety became more obvious, looking for security, sharing concerns with me. The other cashier became as heightened as the customer. Observing, I didn't feel it would escalate any further. But I acknowledge these are not typical of the usual interactions, as these are not typical times.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oklahoma.
Governor finally announced yesterday all non-essential businesses in all counties to be closed.

1 - 20 of 203 Posts