Talk About Marriage banner
121 - 132 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
I dropped 30 per doctor's orders seven years ago. And I've kept it off. Have a three-step plan that works, at least for me: Eat Smart, Sweat More and (the tough one for me) Drink Less. Also joined Weight Watchers which has a program that does work. Granted, I don't follow it precisely - especially on weekends - but it's proven method.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
You burn about 10% more calories for the next 24 hours, after your exercise session.
But you will not burn the 150 calories that you burned while running a mile, unless you run another mile.
That's what I'm saying.

Aerobic exercise is dependent upon you doing it, in order to burn the calories.
Muscle-building exercises will still allow you to burn 10-15 calories/day, for every pound of muscle that you put onto your frame, whether or not you are exercising.

I'm not here to prove that book wrong or anything like.
My position is that it is more important that you find activities you like and are incentivized to keep doing than how effective you are.

Anything you do is going to help.
Everybody's gifts and temperament and personality are all different.
Some people, like @ConanHub or @ccpowerslave can psychologically handle exercise sessions that leaves them in need of being wheelchaired out to the car when they are finished.
That may not be you, and that's ok.

You have a book and it says some good things, which is a good starting place to be.
However, my recommendation is gather information from other sources.
He may not be completely correct in his positions, so it is better to get ten other sources to see if they say the same thing.
It may turn out that he is 100% correct and you confirmed this by reading other sources of the same information.

For example, I used to be an advocate for HIT weight-training. I thought HIT was how it should be done.
However, after doing my research, my position now is that HIT may be the most effective way to build muscle and strength, but it's not necessarily the best way for a person.
Some people are better with lower-intensity regiments to work towards muscle failure.
If you look at all the champion bodybuilders, most of them don't do HIT. Not even Mike Mentzer, the foremost advocate of HIT, would do HIT all the time.
The one thing they all did, however, was work themselves to failure in their exercises.
So, I believe the most important thing is to work yourself to failure, even if you don't do it in the most efficient way.
Everything is dependent on the goal. Some people might be in the gym simply to slim down and burn fat. Their ideal nutrition and exercise for that goal is obviously different than someone trying to put on muscle.

Someone who isn't really that over weight but want to get more toned and look better are usually looking more to do body recomposition. Replace fat with muscle. To properly recompose your body there's more to it than nutrition and exercise. Timing of nutrition intake becomes important. You want a calorie deficit all day and a slight calorie surplus in the 4-6 hours after weight training so your muscles have fuel for growth.

Simple goals are simple to achieve more complex goals require more thought and planning.

And I agree strongly that finding a routine or routines that you enjoy or are easy to stay with will make success far more likely, and if the "diet" and exercise routines are enjoyable maintaining long term is far more likely. If you hate it you're likely to hit you goal and stop. Then you turn into a yoyo.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I need to find me a good weight loss strategy. I recently started on TRT and I have gained weight where I should be losing weight, despite trying to eat healthier and going to the gym 2-3 days a week and doing cardio and lifting. I’m sure some of the weight gain is water retention from the TRT but I need to start losing some of it, especially since I have very mild NAFLD and have had that for over 15 years.

·
Banned
464 Posts
I need to find me a good weight loss strategy. I recently started on TRT and I have gained weight where I should be losing weight, despite trying to eat healthier and going to the gym 2-3 days a week and doing cardio and lifting. I’m sure some of the weight gain is water retention from the TRT but I need to start losing some of it, especially since I have very mild NAFLD and have had that for over 15 years.
Start with cutting out with processed foods.
Sometimes, if your diet is real food, that is all you need to do.
Then it's just calorie control.
For your target weight, you need 0.75 g protein for every pound you want to weight. This amount is set in stone.
Then you need equal number calories in fat.
It's your carbs you can keep reducing until you are losing a steady 1-2lbs every couple of weeks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I’ve gained about 2 lbs a week since I started on TRT 4 weeks ago. I am hoping it’s muscle mass but before I started I was already about 30 lbs over my recommended weight for my height. I do have a small “spare tire” that I just cannot get rid of. In the gym I typically do cardio on the treadmill for 20-30 minutes, then I go lift weights and do crunches. I’m able to lift between 1/3 to 1/2 my weight when using the pulley based weights, and I’m able to leg press nearly all of my weight. I also ride my bike at home too.

I have been cutting back on the sugary snacks and trying to incorporate more water and healthier snacks. I also have been using those clif bars for snacks in the afternoon as well and that easily tides me over until dinner.

For those of you on TRT, does the water weight ever come off? Can I take anything for it?

·
Banned
464 Posts
I’ve gained about 2 lbs a week since I started on TRT 4 weeks ago. I am hoping it’s muscle mass but before I started I was already about 30 lbs over my recommended weight for my height. I do have a small “spare tire” that I just cannot get rid of. In the gym I typically do cardio on the treadmill for 20-30 minutes, then I go lift weights and do crunches. I’m able to lift between 1/3 to 1/2 my weight when using the pulley based weights, and I’m able to leg press nearly all of my weight. I also ride my bike at home too.

I have been cutting back on the sugary snacks and trying to incorporate more water and healthier snacks. I also have been using those clif bars for snacks in the afternoon as well and that easily tides me over until dinner.

For those of you on TRT, does the water weight ever come off? Can I take anything for it?
Make use of a tape measure and scale.
The scale only tells you how much gravity is pulling you down, but a tape measure will tell you if you are gaining or losing inches.
If you're losing inches, but gaining weight, it's muscle that you are builiding.
Measure your upper arms, neck, chest, waist, buttocks, upper legs, and calves.
Measure your self relaxed, so you aren't getting a flex measurement
Measure yourself the same way everytime, whenever you weigh yourself.
Keep track of your measurements so you can compare over time.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I'll pass some advise a friend of mine who owns a gym told me. Eat meals in half the amount that normal, 2-3 hours later have a scoop of protein powder in water. Repeat. Diet is a huge factor, secondary to exercise.

If you are struggling to understand emotional eating or need team support I found Noom to be very helpful. Noom can be found in your apps and you can do the free version which gives you calorie counting or you can pay for the program which a daily recording and/or reading will be sent to your phone. I lost 20 lbs before a beach vacation....part of it was the motivation of the vacation.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I really like the soreness I feel after a session at the gym. Legs are really shaping up as well as my arms. I’ve also found healthier foods I actually like. Now if I could only get rid of the stubborn spare tire.

·
Banned
464 Posts
I really like the soreness I feel after a session at the gym. Legs are really shaping up as well as my arms. I’ve also found healthier foods I actually like. Now if I could only get rid of the stubborn spare tire.
It will take a while, because you're body will be burning the fat that has accumulated around your organs, trying to find places to store it.
Once it has reduced fat around your organs, it will start to draw from the waistline.

121 - 132 of 132 Posts