Talk About Marriage banner
81 - 100 of 132 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,183 Posts
You can get a much more accurate measurement of your TDEE if you want. I’d be shocked if fitness trackers didn’t attempt it although I haven’t used one since the original Nike Fuel.

I have heard you can get effectively an ankle or wrist bracelet that collects data for something like 2-3 weeks and can then be used to give you a fairly accurate measurement.

I arrived at mine by counting (rounding to nearest 100 or so) at a stable level of exercise and then varying intake each month or so to figure out where I am stable. I am stable now eating ~3500-3700 a day. If I want to lose I do exactly what was recommended here and cut 500. For me one pack of Farmer John breakfast links drained well is 500.

One other trick I use is I count total calories of the food I open and always cook with all of it. So if I make a pot of soup I know the entire thing is let’s say 2500 calories. So if I eat half 1250. I find it’s much easier to count off the finished dish.

·
Registered
944 Posts
And it really does come down to the math, and the natural improvements you'll have in your diet as you learn more a bit at a time.

I've lost over 60lbs just working the math, developing a daily calorie deficit of 500 per day. Every time you reach 2500 calories under your minimum null burn level you have lost almost a pound.

I set my null at 2000 calories a day and targeted 1500 intake per day as a norm, not absolute, but stuck with it.

It gets easier. 4 months later I'd lost 60lbs.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
There are tons of TDEE calculators on the web. TDEE is Total Daily Energy Expenditure. That is your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) multiplied by an activity multiplier. BMR is the energy your body burns while at rest, doing nothing. BMR is calculated based on height, weight, gender and age.

That is great that you have lost 19lbs. Something to keep in mind is that losing that much in 10 days means it is mostly water weight and it won't continue at that rate. That makes sense since you cut sugar/carbs. Carbs will make your body retain water. As a general rule you ignore the first couple weeks of weight loss because that rate will not be maintained throughout the whole weight loss process. I'll explain more using your wife as an example.

You didn't give all the details about your wife, but based on what you said here about years married and how much she has to lose I will assume she is 45, 5'3" and 170lbs. Given that, her current BMR is 1385. If she were in a comma (hopefully never) she would need 1350 calories per day to maintain her current weight. Then you apply a multiplier to determine her TDEE. I'll assume she exercises 1-3 times per week or is otherwise moderately active. That is a 1.4x multiplier putting her TDEE at 1900 calories. A good goal is to lose between .5% and 1% of your body weight each week. In this example that would be .85 - 1.7lbs per week. I would say go with 1lb per week. 1lb per week requires an average daily caloric deficit of 500 calories. That means she would have a goal of 1400 per day. That is pretty low, so maybe .5lb/week may be a better target, which would be 1650 per day. Remember, all these calculations are just estimates. The BMR calculation assumes a certain metabolic rate based on your stats and TDEE makes some assumptions about your activity level. Those are both opportunities for error. So, you use the calculations as a started point and monitor your actual progress. This gets back to why you ignore the first few weeks of weight loss. They will be much greater than the sustained weight loss. 19lbs is 10 days implies a 6,650 calorie daily deficit if that were real fat loss. Obviously that isn't possible. So, you ignore the first two weeks, then you watch what your weight does over the following 2 weeks. If you are losing more than your 1lb per week goal then you can increase you caloric intake to compensate. If it isn't fast enough, you have to cut back more on calories. You will also have to adjust as you lose weight. A woman at 170lbs is going to burn more calories than a woman at 140lbs if all else remains the same.

So here is the whole thing for a 5'3", 170lb woman that wants to lose 40lbs. TDEE = 1900. That makes her daily max calories 1650 (1900 - 250) for 0.5lb/week weight loss. Macro nutrient goals are protein: 75g/1lb (use goal weight) and fat: .3g/1lb (use goal weight)

Daily Max Calories - 1650
Min Protein - 130lbs goal weight x .75g/1lb = 98g (98g x 4Cal/g = 392 Calories)
Min Fat - 130lbs goal weight x 0.3g/1lb = 40g (40g x 9Cal/g = 360 Calories)
Carbs Max - 224g (224g x 4Cal/g = 896 Calories)

As she approaches her goal weight the rate of weight loss is likely to slow down. Her daily caloric goal could go down 200 or more calories. This can be off set a little by adding or at least maintaining lean mass during the weight loss process. That is why it is import to do some kind of resistance/weight training while losing weight, even for women. Without weight training you will lose some of your lean mass while losing weight. Your body isn't just going to consume your stored fat to make up for the energy deficiency, it will get it anywhere and everywhere it can, including your muscle mass. You have to exercise to bias it more towards fat consumption.

That is sort of correct. All muscle is actually lean. It would be more correct to say that lean body mass burns more fat than fat body mass. Meaning, a 200lbs man with 10% body fat is going to burn more calories than a 200lbs man with 25% body fat, if all else is equal.

And nothing beats weight/resistance training for building muscle mass.
Weight right, her age 53. She is 3.5 my Sr.
Im 49 6'05 285. I was at 305 about 4 weeks ago at Dr office. I cut the carbs and sweet tea. That is the hard part....being Southern we like our sweet tea!😣 i do not remember last time i tasted a soda.

The Total Body Makeover i did i was eating 5x day.
Breakfast- 2 egg whites, bacon and oatmeal

Morning snack- Grilled chicken breast and starch(like raw sweet potatos)

Lunch- chicken breast, 1 cup starch(rice) and 2 cups vegetables

PM snack- Chicken breast and fruit(apple or Banana)

Supper- steak, baked potatoe(sweet usually) and 2 cups of vegetables.

I had soo much energy and tge weight just melted off.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
(not a dude so maybe not relevant but am gonna jump in because I am totally that chip person)

I love IF now because it helped me get over a plateau and indulge in a controlled way in the things I like. Disagree that you have to be winded or you aren't doing it right. I'm a long distance runner and also love hiking and walking and still have managed to find balance and lose weight.

IF is also great for developing competency in dealing with comfort eating or stress eating. When your first response to feeling bad is eating and your window isnt open that response isnt available you so you have to come up with other ways to cope.
The author of the book I mentioned and my wife (a long time runner) specifically says to NOT run at a winded pace. If cant hold conversation with person running with the pace is too fast and not Aerobic.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
And it really does come down to the math, and the natural improvements you'll have in your diet as you learn more a bit at a time.

I've lost over 60lbs just working the math, developing a daily calorie deficit of 500 per day. Every time you reach 2500 calories under your minimum null burn level you have lost almost a pound.

I set my null at 2000 calories a day and targeted 1500 intake per day as a norm, not absolute, but stuck with it.

It gets easier. 4 months later I'd lost 60lbs.
Problem with restricting calories too much is body trains itself to build fat reserves at any opportunity.

·
Premium Member
3,999 Posts
The author of the book I mentioned and my wife (a long time runner) specifically says to NOT run at a winded pace. If cant hold conversation with person running with the pace is too fast and not Aerobic.
Yes, and this seem somewhat counterintuitive. It seems logical that breathing harder mean more aerobic, but it is not. In order to be aerobic you must have enough oxygen to convert blood sugar into glycogen to be used for energy. When your pace it too fast or you are maybe sprinting for the finish line you are burning more energy than your oxygen supply can provide and you go anaerobic.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Problem with restricting calories too much is body trains itself to build fat reserves at any opportunity.
In my plan I made sure I drank quality protein drinks to reach 160 grams protein plus one full meal shake with protein and complete nutritional foundation, and one sweet potato a day, for carbs. Sometimes two if I was doing gym every day, and did for solid six months.
Plus multi vitamins pack daily, some creatine daily to support processing protein. Some leucine as well.

Chicken breast and one salad a day.

Worked and still works out well. Arms good, chest good, smaller waste. I've been told it looks good. W loves it.

And I see my primary physician regularly checking blood work. Bad cholesterol down, good cholesterol good, BP good, get good lab results. Seems to be working.

Ymmv of course.

·
Premium Member
10,183 Posts
Not sure about wear and tear or any other considerations but from a pure energy perspective run as fast as you can for the time you want to allocate and as long as you can keep doing that every day that will be your max calories for that exercise.

Same also goes with weights or anything else. If you don’t need to rest, don’t. Rotate between sets in a circuit and don’t rest unless you need to.

I am about to do my 200 sit-ups and I will just crank them out in one set and then you’re done in just a few minutes.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Not sure about wear and tear or any other considerations but from a pure energy perspective run as fast as you can for the time you want to allocate and as long as you can keep doing that every day that will be your max calories for that exercise.

Same also goes with weights or anything else. If you don’t need to rest, don’t. Rotate between sets in a circuit and don’t rest unless you need to.

I am about to do my 200 sit-ups and I will just crank them out in one set and then you’re done in just a few minutes.
The problem with as fast as you can (anaerobic) is the chemistry of how and what gets burned. Glucose gets burned then, but you only have glucose that is on board ( in the blood ) running fast (sprints). And for someone like me subject to insulin spikes the result is extraordinary hunger. Fat gets burned on long distance runs, by allowing the muscles time to do the conversion from fat to energy. Pulse rate held at 80% of maximum for the individual prevents burning glucose and preferentially converts fat to energy.

Bailey writes " Seasoned athletes...resist making fat and at same time burn fat readily. During exercise the athlete is able to rely on stored fat for calories, thereby saving precious glucose. ...the exercise does not induce hunger, but if the athlete does eat some carbohydrate food, blood glucose will take a more moderate rise because it quickly enters the muscle cells to restore the glycogen in the muscle cells,"

This has worked extraordinarily well for me. While my wife ran long distance ( marathons and ultras) for decades, I only started with her a decade ago. Overweight, keeping my pulse rate to 80% required me to walk fast. Still the weight started falling off at a stable 1 lb/week. The longer was on this program, the faster had to move to keep pulse rate up. Started running one minute/walking one. After about three months, was running with her 3 miles 4 days a week. Weight continued to fall off. In first year I went from being obese to normal, losing 28% of my weight, body fat 15% and maintained it since. People that knew me before don't recognize me, have more energy than when was in my 20s. To be fair, I also cut sugar from my diet and eliminated "empty calories" like chips, candy, cookies, pies, cakes. Mainly green vegetables and protein, complex carbohydrates.

·
Premium Member
10,183 Posts
The problem with as fast as you can (anaerobic) is the chemistry of how and what gets burned. Glucose gets burned then, but you only have glucose that is on board ( in the blood ) running fast (sprints). And for someone like me subject to insulin spikes the result is extraordinary hunger. Fat gets burned on long distance runs, by allowing the muscles time to do the conversion from fat to energy. Pulse rate held at 80% of maximum for the individual prevents burning glucose and preferentially converts fat to energy.
What I said is as fast as you can go for the time you want to allocate. What I should have said is while maintaining the same pace.

Let’s say I can run for an hour at 8 min/mile and I finish and I don’t drop lower than that and I don’t get injured. It’s not anaerobic because you can’t do that for an hour. But I could run it at a 9 min/mile pace. That is a “waste” of training. A lot of people waste these extra calories because they don’t pay attention to what they’re doing when they’re exercising.

·
Premium Member
10,183 Posts
You'd be surprised how rare it is that people restrict their calories that much.
I did it one summer in college. I only ate canned tuna in water with yellow mustard and black coffee. I ate around 900 a day for 2 months. After that I added another 1k back to it and lost some more. Then when school started I replaced the entire defecit with beer and vodka. So I was stable around 205.

That harsh brutal diet was still not enough to land a proper date with the girl I wanted to go out with. Stuck in the friend zone…

My running got a lot faster and my basketball game improved.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Was reading through thread about guy thinking to hire a hooker cuz his wife had a belly. About to comment on the weight loss debate when Mod cautioned to start different thread. So, here goes.

I believe what works well is described in an old book called "Fit or Fat". The author's proposition is that diets don't work. He says none of them work. He states that overweight people dieting actually ratchets their weight upward with every time they diet. And he shows with examples from his lifetime helping people shed pounds that the only effective way to lose weight to exercise at an aerobic rate, getting pulse rate to 80% of max for at least 20 minutes every day. So there is my belief. What about others?
Diet is the bigger factor imo. And Whole Food Plant Based is the way to eat.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Diet is the bigger factor imo. And Whole Food Plant Based is the way to eat.
All I will say is my diet didn't change except for cutting out sugar and junk. Calorie intake is 1500 cal/day. Same things always ate (except for sweets). Aerobic exercise went from zero to 60 min/day 5-6 days/week. Wt loss 1-2#/week for 40 weeks.

I have previously been on about every diet you could think of. Lost weight and gained all back and more once stopped the diet. My personal experience is exactly what "Fit or Fat" describes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can you share a method that is approved by a medic? There are many methods online for weight loss, but a medic does not approve of most of them. Maybe it will give you some results in weight loss, but you can get a negative impact on your organism. It is why the best decision will be to consult with a professional doctor so that he would get the best weight loss method for your body. I can recommend the doctors from medicalweightlosslehighvalley.com. They helped me a lot to lose the excess weight I had.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Diets absolutely work. 3500 calories=1 pound of fat. If you eat too many calories, you gain weight, eat too few, you lose weight. It's that simple. The reason people who go on a diet gain the weight back later is because they treat it like a temporary fix and eventually fall back into their old routine that caused them to gain weight in the first place.

81 - 100 of 132 Posts