Talk About Marriage banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was reading through thread about guy thinking to hire a hooker cuz his wife had a belly. About to comment on the weight loss debate when Mod cautioned to start different thread. So, here goes.

I believe what works well is described in an old book called "Fit or Fat". The author's proposition is that diets don't work. He says none of them work. He states that overweight people dieting actually ratchets their weight upward with every time they diet. And he shows with examples from his lifetime helping people shed pounds that the only effective way to lose weight to exercise at an aerobic rate, getting pulse rate to 80% of max for at least 20 minutes every day. So there is my belief. What about others?

·
Banned
7,763 Posts
Absolutely! Works as described! And can't count how many diets of various sorts in my life, none of which worked in the long term.
Awesome, then the question is settled for you.

Exercise can increase your total daily energy expenditure. Consuming less calories can reduce your calories.
Seems logical, and I don't dispute it, but doesn't it also drive up appetite? Wouldn't a constant state of being hungry and tired mess with a persons ability to make rational food decisions?

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The author of the book I mentioned describes the way the body metabolizes carbohydrates, protein, and fat to produce energy and converts (or doesn't) one to the other. He describes scenarios that resonated with my personal experiences.

The book is familiar with runners, at least from years ago. Eventually one or more will chime in.

·
Premium Member
10,160 Posts
Awesome, then the question is settled for you.

Seems logical, and I don't dispute it, but doesn't it also drive up appetite? Wouldn't a constant state of being hungry and tired mess with a persons ability to make rational food decisions?
Yes. If you eat less than your body wants you might be hungry. Typically people combat this by drinking lots of water.

If you’re a big guy like me and you work out all the time your TDEE is so high you can eat lots of filling food and stay under it and lose anyway.

Other stuff I do as part of lifestyle:

Avoid carbs
Avoid alcohol (limited success)
Avoid caloric condiments (cheese, dairy fats, Mayo)
Try to get most of my calories from meat and veg
Don’t eat fruit (sugar)
Only eat between noon and 8pm.
No sodas, not even diet.
Drink only water, black coffee, and tea.
Take daily men’s multivitamin, krill oil supplement, joint supplement.

Exercise I now do between 200-400 ab exercises daily. Pulling and pressing exercises every other day. Legs 2-3x a week. Arms 3x a week. Cardio I do a long run and a long mountain bike (1h+) 2-3x a week, boxing one day a week, then Chocolotito warm up (6 4 minute rounds jump rope, 30s rest. 6 4 minute rounds shadow boxing, 30s rest) at least 1x a week. During the afternoon every day I walk a mile with my wife. I will also do push ups in the afternoon depending on how bored I am working.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Portion control and a balanced diet consisting of protein, veg, fruit and carbs.

Keep a note of everything you eat and add up the calories.

Weigh portions before yo cook so you can't have seconds.

Use smaller plates.

Avoid snacks.

Increase your activity and reduce sofa time.

The theory is simple and easy to understand.

Not so easy to maintain.

Sent from my CPH2159 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
7,763 Posts
Yes. If you eat less than your body wants you might be hungry. Typically people combat this by drinking lots of water.

If you’re a big guy like me and you work out all the time hour TDEE is so high you can eat lots of filling food and stay under it and lose anyway.
I would agree, if by filling foods you mean 95% meat/animal products and select vegs and almost zero carby ****.

Those times I've been hangry and tired, water was not the solution, lol, but maybe a piece of cheese, jerky, hardboiled egg.

·
Premium Member
10,160 Posts
I would agree, if by filling foods you mean 95% meat/animal products and select vegs and almost zero carby ****.
Yes exactly.

I don’t get that hangry ever, I just wait for dinner. If I eat lunch at 12:15 sometimes I will be hungry around 5:30, but I’m going to eat in less than an hour and a half so I just wait.

Agreed that snacking is no good, I’m not in the “lots of small meals” gang.

·
Premium Member
3,982 Posts
At the end of the day it is calories in and calories out. If you want to lose weight, you MUST burn more calories than you consume. Food choice can certainly aid in achieving that, but in the end it is just that equation.

What a lot of people don't seem to understand is you can't out exercise eating too much. One donut is 200+ calories. That is about 20 minutes of running. It is a lot easier to not eat the donut IMO.

·
Premium Member
10,160 Posts
Case in point I ordered double meat on my Subway turkey sandwich for lunch on DoorDash and they didn’t make it with double meat. So it’s like a 600 calorie sandwich. I will definitely be hungry for dinner before it rolls around. My plan is to drink 1L of water and do a bunch of push ups.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Weight loss is simple math, nothing more. People always want to overcomplicate it because then they can create some fad diet to turn a buck. What it comes down to is this; your body needs calories as energy to maintain itself. Each person needs a different amount of calories per day depending on their age, gender, size, etc. When you go over the amount of calories you need in a day, your body stores the remainder as fat. 3500 excess calories become 1 pound of fat. So, if you want to lose weight, you need to burn more calories than you are eating in order for your body to use its fat reserves. Instead of following a fad diet, just count calories and enter a caloric deficit. You will lose weight. If you find you are not losing weight at first, just lower your caloric intake and exercise more.

The reason all the fad diets don't work is because people diet for a month, lost a little water weight, then immediately go back to their earlier lifestyle. Also, and this cannot be overstated....people LIE. Those people who claim to be on a diet, say they ate hardly anything but never seem to lose weight...they're lying. They're eating more than they are telling you.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I do intermittent fasting with my caloric intake taking place within an 8 hour window. I also exercise, cardio and weight training. The fasting will trim you up rather quickly and it's amazing how good you feel after a few weeks.
I have successfully used the 5+2 approach to losing weight. It does work but I'm not convinced that it was any more effective than averaging a week's calorie intake over 7 days.

Sent from my CPH2159 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 132 Posts